Fatism

Options
Rant post: Today a Facebook friend posted a photo he took on his iPhone. The photo was of a larger couple carrying four pizzas down the street. The caption? "Whales left the ocean last night in search of 4 large pizzas. 2 each. No. You don't need that much. Go away fatties #nofatpeople"

This post got several likes and 'haha's. Not one person said anything in defence of this couple. I purposely didn't comment as I didn't want to start a big argument!
I mean, maybe these guys had bought pizzas to feed homeless people in the area! Or even just to feed their family - who are we to judge?

Made me wonder, what would the response have been if the post had been of two men kissing? Two nudists on the beach? An inter-racial couple? Two muslims? Two goths? (Just using these as examples!)

Why it is more acceptable in society to make fun of 'fatties' than other people that live a different lifestyle to you?

As someone trying hard to lose weight, and knowing that I have a way to go it breaks my heart to see these kinds of posts, and to hear so many fat jokes/taunts on TV and in conversation. It makes me want to give up. Some people will find faults in others, not matter what.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    One word: unfriend.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

Because people can die from second hand smoke. I never heard of anyone dying because I was fat.

Edited to correct spelling.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Uh. Second hand smoke. Some stranger's choice to eat pizza doesn't harm you.
  • ubermensch13
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.

^This.

I'm on the insurance committee for my employer and I can tell you that I pay more for insurance because there are a lot of people with diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. Coincidentally, there are a lot of overweight people where I work. Hmmm......

I'm not saying it's okay to make fun of people - for any reason. But to demand respect/acceptance for being fat - that's not ok. IT is a health concern and it does affect other people.
  • ubermensch13
    Options

How do you define "harm"? Second hand smoke takes years to cause harm, plus it has to be repetitive. There are many types of harms that aren't that direct that obesity causesin a society.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    One word: unfriend.

yup, get the jerk off your news feed
  • ubermensch13
    Options

How do you define "harm"? Second hand smoke takes years to cause harm, plus it has to be repetitive. There are many types of harms that aren't that direct that obesity causesin a society.

Just to be clear, I don't smoke and am not advocating being mean to overweight people, I'm just posing a philosophical question.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Ah I love this argument!

Because overweight people think you should be accepting of them and not say a negative word. But non-smokers want all the smokers to just go away and die already.

Everyone wants tolerance and respect for however they personally choose to live their lives, and they want whatever they don't like to be banned entirely.

OR we could all just let each other live in peace already.
  • rebelate
    Options

People have allergies and sensitivities to smoke, cigarettes, whatever. What harms do obesity cause in a society? What about society's need to be thin, and not healthy? I think most people don't understand how to eat properly, what nutrition is, and what actually it takes to make your body healthy, and strong. That's society's harm - causing obesity.

Also, who to say these people were overeating? They may have made room in their "allowance" or buying it for someone else - their work, a party, something.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    OR we could all just let each other live in peace already.

Then it's not really entertaining.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Body shaming, or people shaming in all forms is horrible.

Live and let live.
  • rebelate
    Options
    Body shaming, or people shaming in all forms is horrible.

Live and let live.

This. This. This.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

People have allergies and sensitivities to smoke, cigarettes, whatever. What harms do obesity cause in a society? What about society's need to be thin, and not healthy? I think most people don't understand how to eat properly, what nutrition is, and what actually it takes to make your body healthy, and strong. That's society's harm - causing obesity.

Also, who to say these people were overeating? They may have made room in their "allowance" or buying it for someone else - their work, a party, something.

People have the same sensitivities to peanut dust, shall we continue banning those? Already many kids and airline flyers aren't allowed nuts because some people are allergic. How far shall we take this?

And as was said above obese people raise insurance premiums for everyone else. The same argument used against smokers. So we can continue this trend, blaming everyone else for their own personal choices affecting insurance rates, OR remember that freedom to live our lives as we choose is actually a pretty important thing. Even if it means some people are momentarily inconvenienced or annoyed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Rant post: Today a Facebook friend posted a photo he took on his iPhone. The photo was of a larger couple carrying four pizzas down the street. The caption? "Whales left the ocean last night in search of 4 large pizzas. 2 each. No. You don't need that much. Go away fatties #nofatpeople"

This post got several likes and 'haha's. Not one person said anything in defence of this couple. I purposely didn't comment as I didn't want to start a big argument!
    I mean, maybe these guys had bought pizzas to feed homeless people in the area! Or even just to feed their family - who are we to judge?

Made me wonder, what would the response have been if the post had been of two men kissing? Two nudists on the beach? An inter-racial couple? Two muslims? Two goths? (Just using these as examples!)

Why it is more acceptable in society to make fun of 'fatties' than other people that live a different lifestyle to you?

As someone trying hard to lose weight, and knowing that I have a way to go it breaks my heart to see these kinds of posts, and to hear so many fat jokes/taunts on TV and in conversation. It makes me want to give up. Some people will find faults in others, not matter what.

Don't click on these links then

http://bmdarchives.xfitflaws.com/2011/11/09/fat-acceptance-is-unacceptable/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eTKpVM5jpE
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
  • bevjburr
    Options
    Ignore the grumpy critics. The haters are showing you their own vice. Fat you can lose, personality is forever.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I purposely didn't comment as I didn't want to start a big argument!
    You said, "not one person said anything in defense of this couple". You didn't either. Speak up! Why are people so afraid to speak up???
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think the assumption in both cases is that these are people who do not control their impulses or are undisciplined, and, therefore, we should shame them into doing better or it is ok to make fun of them because they are making bad choices. As others stated, we shouldn't assume that the pizzas were for them...no one knows. We don't know that about any fat person. Also, seeing a fat person eating a big ole cake doesn't necessarily mean he/she is undisciplined. He/she could have just unwisely, but with much discipline, started himself/herself for days or weeks. Still, I think that is the impulse behind making fun of them.

I agree it is wrong to make fun of fat people. It is wrong to be mean to smokers. I wonder, sometimes, if part of the impulse is a social-animal kind of thing where, as a pack we are trying to nudge people into doing the things society has decided are for the good of the group (like keeping health costs low). You can see packs of dogs nudging the outliers to do what the pack wants. Are we the same? I'm not justifying it. Just thinking about it.