Fatism

Options

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The reason the discussion has taken this turn is because the OP described obesity as a "lifestyle" and compared it to being gay or Muslim. She is saying it's inherently part of who you are and not a series of decisions that you have made. That's what sparked the discussion.

Agreed. My thoughts exactly. For the most part I can't change my gender, skin colour, sexuality, and religion is a whole other topic. But when I was fat, I knew I could change that. I also knew I looked like an idiot when I was goth for a month in high school. Lifestyle choices....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    One of the many reasons I abandoned my facebook. I would have said something though because I don't like people being pricks to others, and then I would have unfriended before a *kitten*-storm resulted.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

If you're smoking in your home or your car, you won't hear anything from me, unless you are smoking where your small children can breathe it (I work in a pediatric pulmonary clinic; please folks, don't smoke around children with asthma or Cystic Fibrosis).

If you're smoking in my space, though, I'm getting secondhand smoke and I will criticize your inability to smoke in appropriate places.*

A person who is fat in your vicinity is not causing you harm; a person who smokes in your vicinity may cause you harm.

*Please note the difference between this and actually calling someone a "whale". I don't see people posting pictures of smokers and making fun of them. They are simply asking that smokers not smoke where nonsmokers are affected. This is not that difficult. You have a car, you have a house, and even our tobacco-free medical campus has a smoking area.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

People have allergies and sensitivities to smoke, cigarettes, whatever. What harms do obesity cause in a society? What about society's need to be thin, and not healthy? I think most people don't understand how to eat properly, what nutrition is, and what actually it takes to make your body healthy, and strong. That's society's harm - causing obesity.

Also, who to say these people were overeating? They may have made room in their "allowance" or buying it for someone else - their work, a party, something.

People have the same sensitivities to peanut dust, shall we continue banning those? Already many kids and airline flyers aren't allowed nuts because some people are allergic. How far shall we take this?

And as was said above obese people raise insurance premiums for everyone else. The same argument used against smokers. So we can continue this trend, blaming everyone else for their own personal choices affecting insurance rates, OR remember that freedom to live our lives as we choose is actually a pretty important thing. Even if it means some people are momentarily inconvenienced or annoyed.

I understand what you are saying Brett - but at what point does personal freedom to make bad decisions outweigh the needs/concerns of the majority?

I honestly don't have an answer on where that line gets drawn, but it would have to at some point right? Otherwise, we wouldn't have laws to protect the majority against the decisions of the few (child molestation for example). How are smoking and obesity so different? Where does their societal impact become enough that it's okay to desire a change in those behaviors?

I don't know what country you are in, but I'm in the USA, where each individual has the right to pursue happiness as long as that doesn't interfere with anyone else's right to life and liberty. Child molestation, really? We are talking about forced conformity not victimizing others. The dangers of second hand smoke, sketchy research on that one unless you are a child living in the home of a smoker. The rising cost of health insurance premiums - optional, live without insurance if you don't want to pay for the risks of the entire group.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    So, let me see if I've got this straight - people still use facebook?
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Or maybe they were going to eat 2 pizzas each. It doesn't really matter. I have a friend who is heavily obese and she feels happy just the way she is. Do I make fun of her? No. But we all make fun of people we don't like. Maybe we do it in a more private situation, maybe we don't target specific ethnic group, gender or any other group, maybe we're not so cruel.

My advice: don't let this get in the way of your progress. You're getting healthier and you're doing it for yourself and your loved ones. And try to laugh as well to fat-jokes. Well... maybe not in this case, because it seems to me they tried to be hurtful instead of just funny. But, honestly, learn to laugh about that thing you don't like about yourself. It's a kind of healthy self-acceptance without falling into self-indulgence because, after all, you consider your weight to be a problem and you're here, doing something about your it, right?

Let the haters hate, and laugh with those who are only trying to make a silly joke.

Remember that most haters are born from envy, and the rest of them are just brainless. In this case, I think most "fat-haters" envy the fact that some people prefer eating whatever they want and be obese (or just fat) instead of dieting and working out. I bet they would LOVE to eat 2 entire pizzas (I know I do) but they don't, and instead of being proud of their own effort, they attack those who do eat like they would like to out of frustration and envy.

Keep on going! Don't be discouraged!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wasn't Mussolini a Fatist?
  • msmariah86
    Options
    I'm here, just intrigued to see how this discussion would unfold - it's been very interesting!

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it seems more socially acceptable to judge/tease/taunt/hurt/insult fat people than it is to be racist, homophobic etc ... at least in some parts of society. The Facebook post proves it.

I agree that something should be said to the person that posted the photo, but think it would be better done in a private conversation to the young man face-to-face. I don't want to embarrass him or open myself up to criticism from others on his friends list.

Last time I did that, I was attacked for being a fat girl defending her own.

Yes, I am a big girl. But I am trying to do something about it. I do eat healthy. I do exercise.
    But like most, I could make more effort, which is why I am here. I won't lose weight overnight, and my lifestyle won't change overnight.

I also suffer from PCOS, and one of the symptoms is weight gain, thus making it harder for me to lose weight and I accept that.

It's a shame that when people do have a go about me being over-weight they don't realise that it hurts on another level because it's not just because of the food I eat, it's because of a condition I have that may mean I will never have children.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

Because people can die from second hand smoke. I never heard of anyone dying because I was fat.

Edited to correct spelling.

Well, technically, one could say that the inflated health care costs due to obesity could cause someone to die due to them not being able to afford insurance.

technically.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm here, just intrigued to see how this discussion would unfold - it's been very interesting!

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it seems more socially acceptable to judge/tease/taunt/hurt/insult fat people than it is to be racist, homophobic etc ... at least in some parts of society. The Facebook post proves it.

I agree that something should be said to the person that posted the photo, but think it would be better done in a private conversation to the young man face-to-face. I don't want to embarrass him or open myself up to criticism from others on his friends list.

Last time I did that, I was attacked for being a fat girl defending her own.

Yes, I am a big girl. But I am trying to do something about it. I do eat healthy. I do exercise.
    But like most, I could make more effort, which is why I am here. I won't lose weight overnight, and my lifestyle won't change overnight.

I also suffer from PCOS, and one of the symptoms is weight gain, thus making it harder for me to lose weight and I accept that.

It's a shame that when people do have a go about me being over-weight they don't realise that it hurts on another level because it's not just because of the food I eat, it's because of a condition I have that may mean I will never have children.

If they are friends of yours and know you are overweight, then why are you friends with them? I'm sorry but I have plenty of friends I disagree with on a variety of issues, and that's fine, but if they start openly mocking people that are similar to me, then I'd use the "defriend" button.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

Because people can die from second hand smoke. I never heard of anyone dying because I was fat.

Edited to correct spelling.

Well, technically, one could say that the inflated health care costs due to obesity could cause someone to die due to them not being able to afford insurance.

technically.

Actually, it's those people who aren't wearing seat belts or who are diving into shallow water who are really going to drive up your healthcare costs. Just sayin'. :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    had I seen it, I would have commented... Once I had a friend "unfriend" me, because she took a picture of a larger guy on a plane in the seat in front of her and proceeded to make fun of him. To which I said "its a good thing we're all perfect, so no stranger takes a picture of us to mock us...." Apparently she did not like being told how rude that was.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.

^This.

I'm on the insurance committee for my employer and I can tell you that I pay more for insurance because there are a lot of people with diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. Coincidentally, there are a lot of overweight people where I work. Hmmm......

I'm not saying it's okay to make fun of people - for any reason. But to demand respect/acceptance for being fat - that's not ok. IT is a health concern and it does affect other people.

I agree
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

*Jumps up and down* this this THIS! ^^
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    prejudice is prejudice and should be addressed. i WOULD comment on that pic and say how offensive and rude it is.

we all have to step up - change doesnt come about on its own.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.

Ah I love this argument!

Because overweight people think you should be accepting of them and not say a negative word. But non-smokers want all the smokers to just go away and die already.

Everyone wants tolerance and respect for however they personally choose to live their lives, and they want whatever they don't like to be banned entirely.

OR we could all just let each other live in peace already.

I have said it many times, usually those screaming "Tolerance" the loudest don't have any for anyone else. Rock on.

You're wrong this time, sorry Brute - Brett is plenty tolerant.

Silly woman I'm pretty sure he was agreeing with me... :tongue: :wink:

Oh... *puts sword away*
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Because I don't have to inhale people's food when I walk by.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    This is coming from a fat guy who is now at 260 from a start of over 320+.

They are fat people who should not be eating that!

Let's be honest, there is no defense for being fat. The people who say they are OK with being that way are lying to themselves.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Why it is more acceptable in society to make fun of 'fatties' than other people that live a different lifestyle to you?

Fat is not a lifestyle. It's actually a choice, just like smoking. Nobody forced anyone to be fat, just like smoking. People die from being fat, just like smoking.

It's not a lifestyle choice. If people see it that way then they are doomed to fail.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    People are such *kitten**holes. I wonder what they think when I pick up 3 pizzas to feed my family. I think you should comment on his post and tag it so everyone sees what a prick he is.