Fatism

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Ignore the grumpy critics. The haters are showing you their own vice. Fat you can lose, personality is forever.

What we were doing is called rational and civil debate. What you're doing is name calling.

Worst of all it's neither original, funny, or the least bit interesting.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I purposely didn't comment as I didn't want to start a big argument!
    You said, "not one person said anything in defense of this couple". You didn't either. Speak up! Why are people so afraid to speak up???

my thought exactly...aren't you just as guilty for not speaking up in their defense?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

People have allergies and sensitivities to smoke, cigarettes, whatever. What harms do obesity cause in a society? What about society's need to be thin, and not healthy? I think most people don't understand how to eat properly, what nutrition is, and what actually it takes to make your body healthy, and strong. That's society's harm - causing obesity.

Also, who to say these people were overeating? They may have made room in their "allowance" or buying it for someone else - their work, a party, something.

People have the same sensitivities to peanut dust, shall we continue banning those? Already many kids and airline flyers aren't allowed nuts because some people are allergic. How far shall we take this?

And as was said above obese people raise insurance premiums for everyone else. The same argument used against smokers. So we can continue this trend, blaming everyone else for their own personal choices affecting insurance rates, OR remember that freedom to live our lives as we choose is actually a pretty important thing. Even if it means some people are momentarily inconvenienced or annoyed.

I understand what you are saying Brett - but at what point does personal freedom to make bad decisions outweigh the needs/concerns of the majority?

I honestly don't have an answer on where that line gets drawn, but it would have to at some point right? Otherwise, we wouldn't have laws to protect the majority against the decisions of the few (child molestation for example). How are smoking and obesity so different? Where does their societal impact become enough that it's okay to desire a change in those behaviors?
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options

People have allergies and sensitivities to smoke, cigarettes, whatever. What harms do obesity cause in a society? What about society's need to be thin, and not healthy? I think most people don't understand how to eat properly, what nutrition is, and what actually it takes to make your body healthy, and strong. That's society's harm - causing obesity.

Also, who to say these people were overeating? They may have made room in their "allowance" or buying it for someone else - their work, a party, something.

People have the same sensitivities to peanut dust, shall we continue banning those? Already many kids and airline flyers aren't allowed nuts because some people are allergic. How far shall we take this?

And as was said above obese people raise insurance premiums for everyone else. The same argument used against smokers. So we can continue this trend, blaming everyone else for their own personal choices affecting insurance rates, OR remember that freedom to live our lives as we choose is actually a pretty important thing. Even if it means some people are momentarily inconvenienced or annoyed.

What? Where is "peanut dust" or "banning" even coming from? Two people walking down the street holding pizza doesn't harm anyone like someone walking down the street smoking a cigarette could harm them. That was the argument, not about magical peanut dust floating around.

There's a difference between being "momentarily annoyed" that someone is smoking and being annoyed that you see an overweight person holding a pizza. The whole health insurance point is COMPLETELY off topic. If you really think making a joke about someone being a "whale" or making fun of a stranger is acceptable then that's really disgusting, and hateful.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

Uh. Second hand smoke. Some stranger's choice to eat pizza doesn't harm you.

Not to be rude, but you haven't flown lately?

Look, jack***es are going to be there and to try to say "why is this acceptable and not this" is a bit of a silly game. FB and social media in general are full of racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-fat, anti-everything rants. Either say something or let it go. Stewing about it won't help anyone, and least of all you. And no, I'm certainly not defending the FB post.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.

Ah I love this argument!

Because overweight people think you should be accepting of them and not say a negative word. But non-smokers want all the smokers to just go away and die already.

Everyone wants tolerance and respect for however they personally choose to live their lives, and they want whatever they don't like to be banned entirely.

OR we could all just let each other live in peace already.

I have said it many times, usually those screaming "Tolerance" the loudest don't have any for anyone else. Rock on.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.

Ah I love this argument!

Because overweight people think you should be accepting of them and not say a negative word. But non-smokers want all the smokers to just go away and die already.

Everyone wants tolerance and respect for however they personally choose to live their lives, and they want whatever they don't like to be banned entirely.

I have said it many times, usually those screaming "Tolerance" the loudest don't have any for anyone else. Rock on.

You're wrong this time, sorry Brute - Brett is plenty tolerant.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Absoloutly rude and immature. I would not be friends with someone like this.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

What? Where is "peanut dust" or "banning" even coming from? Two people walking down the street holding pizza doesn't harm anyone like someone walking down the street smoking a cigarette could harm them. That was the argument, not about magical peanut dust floating around.

There's a difference between being "momentarily annoyed" that someone is smoking and being annoyed that you see an overweight person holding a pizza. The whole health insurance point is COMPLETELY off topic. If you really think making a joke about someone being a "whale" or making fun of a stranger is acceptable then that's really disgusting, and hateful.

Once again, it's NOT OK to make fun of someone for a problem that they have. I would find offense in the described facebook posting. I don't like things like that and I certainly don't make fun of others for a problem that I struggle with myself.

The reason the discussion has taken this turn is because the OP described obesity as a "lifestyle" and compared it to being gay or Muslim. She is saying it's inherently part of who you are and not a series of decisions that you have made. That's what sparked the discussion.
  • rebelate
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

Look, jack***es are going to be there and to try to say "why is this acceptable and not this" is a bit of a silly game. FB and social media in general are full of racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-fat, anti-everything rants. Either say something or let it go. Stewing about it won't help anyone, and least of all you. And no, I'm certainly not defending the FB post.

No, I haven't - ever in fact. Making fun of anyone for doing anything is never acceptable - smoking, being fat, or whatever else. But, I do think if someone came up and stood next to me, and lit up a cigarette that it would be rude or unacceptable of me to ask them to please stop, or to walk away from them and feel a bit hurt, or annoyed. I don't think it'd be acceptable for me to tell someone to put down a pizza because they're fat and they "shouldn't be eating it." There is a difference there.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I teach my kids that when they see something that is wrong and they don't stand up to do what's right, they are just as guilty. The attitude that someone else should have said something is just not right.
  • rebelate
    Options

Once again, it's NOT OK to make fun of someone for a problem that they have. I would find offense in the described facebook posting. I don't like things like that and I certainly don't make fun of others for a problem that I struggle with myself.

The reason the discussion has taken this turn is because the OP described obesity as a "lifestyle" and compared it to being gay or Muslim. She is saying it's inherently part of who you are and not a series of decisions that you have made. That's what sparked the discussion.

I don't agree with the relating obesity to sexuality, religion or race. I agree that it's completely not the same. I think there's a lot of "wandering" off topic talking about health insurance.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Ah I love this argument!

You're wrong this time, sorry Brute - Brett is plenty tolerant.

Silly woman I'm pretty sure he was agreeing with me... :tongue: :wink:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion. Take the higher road with yours.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I teach my kids that when they see something that is wrong and they don't stand up to do what's right, they are just as guilty. The attitude that someone else should have said something is just not right.

Yup. I speak up when I see/hear things like this. I don't care if it's family, friends, stranger. Silence can be perceived as acceptance or agreement.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

That first one is hilarious. I've always hated the "big is beautiful" mentality if nothing else because those words are almost always followed skinny bashing. I definitely don't think people should like me because I'm big. I'm just me, no matter the size, but I'll live longer if I'm healthier and skinnier. Working on it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

No, I haven't - ever in fact. Making fun of anyone for doing anything is never acceptable - smoking, being fat, or whatever else. But, I do think if someone came up and stood next to me, and lit up a cigarette that it would be rude or unacceptable of me to ask them to please stop, or to walk away from them and feel a bit hurt, or annoyed. I don't think it'd be acceptable for me to tell someone to put down a pizza because they're fat and they "shouldn't be eating it." There is a difference there.

Congratulations on completely missing the point. Try a 15 hour trip where you are being sat upon by the person next to you. I'll take second hand smoke any day. That said, you failed to read past my first sentence.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    *KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

"Helloooo! OP! Anyone home?"
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I want to throw drinking into the ring! (Not drinking a driving, just drinking.)

I have yet to see over-drinking criticized unless the person is one of those super-alcoholics who weighs 8 lbs and is trying to trade their 2 year old's pampers for a bottle of Boone's Farm. More often than not it is celebrated. Yet it follows the same poor impulse control pattern as over-eating and smoking. Food for thought! Also fat isn't really a good indicator of health. Eating excessive pizza might be though.

Also speak up when someone is being a jerk! I successfully stopped my old co-workers from using "gay" as a pejorative. (Well around me anyway.) I do think sometimes it's easier to speak up when the issue isn't a personal one though. As a mostly white (part native) straight woman it's easier for me to say something if the issue is about gay, black, latino, etc people. When you try to point out issues that a are personal to you eg. gender issues, or why "dressing up as an indian" is racist you can be perceived as overly sensitive. Making fun of people isn't cool. Well except for bigots since they made the choice to be anuses.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

Because people can die from second hand smoke. I never heard of anyone dying because I was fat.

Good point, however eating habits are often passed on to the next generation then blamed on genes.

but i don't believe that public humiliation is funny or useful.

I would use that "unfriend" option