Fatism

Options

Replies

• xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be friends with someone that went so far as to take a pic of total strangers, post it on the net just so they could get a kick out of it but I also wouldn't have just ignored the post either, I would have said my peace then unfriended the guy. I don't do arguments on the internet, not my thing and I also don't make fun on anyone (other than myself) on the internet. If you want to eat yourself to death, eat up, you wanna smoke yourself to death lite it up, and if you want your liver to explode drink another one. Who are we to judge how anyone else lives their life? We all have rights, willpower and sense (some more than others). People know when something is good or bad for them, and if they decide to do something unhealthy just because they want to ... its their life let them live it! As far as insurance goes, people need to deal with that too. This world will NEVER be smoke, drink and fat free.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    "I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat? "

...It's not.

As a niece who lost her aunt to lung cancer from smoking last April, and as a mother of a child with Cystic Fibrosis, let me tell you now that it is not okay to criticize smokers. It doesn't make people quit smoking. I repeat, it doesn't make people quit smoking.

Really just like with eating, it has to be their choice and I really don't like to take time to mock people's health choices when there are so many political choices that I can mock instead.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What about, why are you starting this thread to complain about this in an environment where you're assuming people will agree with you? What good does that do?

Better to start the discussion somewhere that people actually need to think about it.

Looks like a ton of people here DO need to think about it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Rant post: Today a Facebook friend posted a photo he took on his iPhone. The photo was of a larger couple carrying four pizzas down the street. The caption? "Whales left the ocean last night in search of 4 large pizzas. 2 each. No. You don't need that much. Go away fatties #nofatpeople"

This post got several likes and 'haha's. Not one person said anything in defence of this couple. I purposely didn't comment as I didn't want to start a big argument!
    I mean, maybe these guys had bought pizzas to feed homeless people in the area! Or even just to feed their family - who are we to judge?

Made me wonder, what would the response have been if the post had been of two men kissing? Two nudists on the beach? An inter-racial couple? Two muslims? Two goths? (Just using these as examples!)

Why it is more acceptable in society to make fun of 'fatties' than other people that live a different lifestyle to you?

As someone trying hard to lose weight, and knowing that I have a way to go it breaks my heart to see these kinds of posts, and to hear so many fat jokes/taunts on TV and in conversation. It makes me want to give up. Some people will find faults in others, not matter what.

Don't click on these links then

http://bmdarchives.xfitflaws.com/2011/11/09/fat-acceptance-is-unacceptable/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eTKpVM5jpE

While I appreciate the point that's trying to be made here, NOT ALL OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE ARE CREATED THE SAME. Not everyone's metabolism is the same. Not everyone grew up being able to afford healthy food choices. The $1 McDonald's menu is much more affordable/satiating than $1 of vegetables for a lot of people in this country. There are undiagnosed thyroid issues and people with metabolisms that are slower than you can imagine (my BMR is 750 cal/day for example, which I paid a nutritionist to find out... how many people can afford this?). What about food allergies/Celiac's that haven't been discovered? If you can't afford veggies, chances are, you can't afford health insurance either, so none of these issues will ever be diagnosed.

Don't get me wrong, it has taken me 24 out of 28 of my years to figure out what my problem was with losing weight, but to judge the entire populous of overweight/obese people with that type of ridiculous blanket is ridiculous. It would be more helpful if we attempted to help each other through education than poke fun.

And just for reference, at my highest weight, I weighed 383lbs. I now weigh 168 and my goal is 150, which is still 10lbs overweight for my height (but 10lbs below the top of a healthy BMI). I am borderline allergic to gluten and dairy (which I had to figure out on my own), have a bad case of hypothyroidism (which I have paid to have figured out and am now on expensive thyroid meds), have worked out my whole life (even at 383lbs, I hit the elliptical every day for an hour AND did weight training), and have a slow metabolism (which also cost me $ to figure out).

Take the energy you'd use at poking fun of someone and reform the healthcare system OR be a lobbyist against corn & diary subsidies.

Don't judge until you know the whole story.

People with medical reasons for obesity are in a very small minority. Most people could eat at McDonalds, from the $1 menu every day and not be overweight, if they only ate an appropriate amount of food. Overall health associated with not having a balanced diet is another issue entirely. Vegetables can be bought frozen that are virtually equal to fresh options (sometimes better!), at $1 for ~4 servings.

Having thyroid disease does suck, but the bloodwork and medication is actually pretty inexpensive- I think someone ripped you off.

Ideally, going through your doctor is always the best, but just for price purposes, you can go to a self-service lab and get a thyroid test for $100-179 including doctors orders to get the test done. (http://www.healthtestingcenters.com/thyroid-test.aspx) Then you do have to pay for an office visit for prescription, but my thyroid medicine is on the Wal-mart $4/month list. After you get the levels stabilized, you only need to have your bloodwork rechecked 2x a year.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Rant post: Today a Facebook friend posted a photo he took on his iPhone. The photo was of a larger couple carrying four pizzas down the street. The caption? "Whales left the ocean last night in search of 4 large pizzas. 2 each. No. You don't need that much. Go away fatties #nofatpeople"

This post got several likes and 'haha's. Not one person said anything in defence of this couple. I purposely didn't comment as I didn't want to start a big argument!
    I mean, maybe these guys had bought pizzas to feed homeless people in the area! Or even just to feed their family - who are we to judge?

Made me wonder, what would the response have been if the post had been of two men kissing? Two nudists on the beach? An inter-racial couple? Two muslims? Two goths? (Just using these as examples!)

Why it is more acceptable in society to make fun of 'fatties' than other people that live a different lifestyle to you?

As someone trying hard to lose weight, and knowing that I have a way to go it breaks my heart to see these kinds of posts, and to hear so many fat jokes/taunts on TV and in conversation. It makes me want to give up. Some people will find faults in others, not matter what.

While I appreciate the point that's trying to be made here, NOT ALL OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE ARE CREATED THE SAME. Not everyone's metabolism is the same. Not everyone grew up being able to afford healthy food choices. The $1 McDonald's menu is much more affordable/satiating than $1 of vegetables for a lot of people in this country. There are undiagnosed thyroid issues and people with metabolisms that are slower than you can imagine (my BMR is 750 cal/day for example, which I paid a nutritionist to find out... how many people can afford this?). What about food allergies/Celiac's that haven't been discovered? If you can't afford veggies, chances are, you can't afford health insurance either, so none of these issues will ever be diagnosed.

None of that matters, obesity is caused by a chronic energy surplus regardless of it's healthy or unhealthy foods. So yes all overweight people are created by a chronic over consumption of calories in relation to their expenditure

Oh ok, so it's a lot less expensive to eat veggies until you're full than it is to eat cheeseburgers until you're full?
  • ash8184
    Options

Don't get me wrong, it has taken me 24 out of 28 of my years to figure out what my problem was with losing weight, but to judge the entire populous of overweight/obese people with that type of ridiculous blanket is ridiculous. It would be more helpful if we attempted to help each other through education than poke fun.

And just for reference, at my highest weight, I weighed 383lbs. I now weigh 168 and my goal is 150, which is still 10lbs overweight for my height (but 10lbs below the top of a healthy BMI). I am borderline allergic to gluten and dairy (which I had to figure out on my own), have a bad case of hypothyroidism (which I have paid to have figured out and am now on expensive thyroid meds), have worked out my whole life (even at 383lbs, I hit the elliptical every day for an hour AND did weight training), and have a slow metabolism (which also cost me $ to figure out).

Take the energy you'd use at poking fun of someone and reform the healthcare system OR be a lobbyist against corn & diary subsidies.

People with medical reasons for obesity are in a very small minority. Most people could eat at McDonalds, from the $1 menu every day and not be overweight, if they only ate an appropriate amount of food. Overall health associated with not having a balanced diet is another issue entirely. Vegetables can be bought frozen that are virtually equal to fresh options (sometimes better!), at $1 for ~4 servings.

Having thyroid disease does suck, but the bloodwork and medication is actually pretty inexpensive- I think someone ripped you off.

Ideally, going through your doctor is always the best, but just for price purposes, you can go to a self-service lab and get a thyroid test for $100-179 including doctors orders to get the test done. (http://www.healthtestingcenters.com/thyroid-test.aspx) Then you do have to pay for an office visit for prescription, but my thyroid medicine is on the Wal-mart $4/month list. After you get the levels stabilized, you only need to have your bloodwork rechecked 2x a year.

Thank you for educating me on my particular health issues that I've dealt with for the last 5-24 years of my life.

My thyroid meds do not cost $4/month. I am on a liquid caplet that is not generic and it is $60/month and not covered by health insurance as mine only covers generic. I also get my bloodwork checked every 6 weeks for various reasons and this is not uncommon.

If you can't afford to eat healthfully, $100 is a lot of money and you probably won't spend it on healthcare.

Lastly, there are a lot of people who need to eat on the go for whatever reason. Last time I checked, frozen veggies are about the least convenient option.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada. So it's a different perspective up here....we dont worry about not being able to afford insurance.

Yes we do. My insurance costs over $200.00 per month.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying Brett - but at what point does personal freedom to make bad decisions outweigh the needs/concerns of the majority?

I honestly don't have an answer on where that line gets drawn, but it would have to at some point right? Otherwise, we wouldn't have laws to protect the majority against the decisions of the few (child molestation for example). How are smoking and obesity so different? Where does their societal impact become enough that it's okay to desire a change in those behaviors?

Hold on....I just want to make sure I understand this correctly? You are comparing obesity and smoking to child molestation? If so please explain your logic/reasoning because I am skeptical of your reasoning skills at this point. Let me ask.....Does 1 + 4 = Blue?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying Brett - but at what point does personal freedom to make bad decisions outweigh the needs/concerns of the majority?

I honestly don't have an answer on where that line gets drawn, but it would have to at some point right? Otherwise, we wouldn't have laws to protect the majority against the decisions of the few (child molestation for example). How are smoking and obesity so different? Where does their societal impact become enough that it's okay to desire a change in those behaviors?

Hold on....I just want to make sure I understand this correctly? You are comparing obesity and smoking to child molestation? If so please explain your logic/reasoning because I am skeptical of your reasoning skills at this point. Let me ask.....Does 1 + 4 = Blue?
    Thank you, Jac.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    It was probably a rude picture posted by a rude person, if you thought it was rude you probably should have said something.

.... Why are we arguing about smokers and child molesters?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wtf...it is one thing to be comparing smoking and obesity...but why the hell would you think child molestation was even something to throw in as a comparison....really...I think that you took trying to argue your point too far to where it now doesn't make sense.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think that all those who do the silly, "Well they didnt chose to be gay, muslim, pakistan,ect." present the weakest argument, and its laughable and absurd.

Cruel, hateful remarks are not acceptable in any context.

If you are try to sway a person to your side of the argument understood, but cruelty, bigotry and hate will never help a person.

What I have to say is grow up and learn some sympathy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

None of that matters, obesity is caused by a chronic energy surplus regardless of it's healthy or unhealthy foods. So yes all overweight people are created by a chronic over consumption of calories in relation to their expenditure

Oh ok, so it's a lot less expensive to eat veggies until you're full than it is to eat cheeseburgers until you're full?

1lb of broccoli is $.99, which is a considerable amount more than what $1 gets you from the dollar menu
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A $1 McDouble has 390 calories. If I ate one for every meal I'd be eating 1170 calories a day and therefore losing weight at approximately one pound a week.

I'd probably smell bad and be constipated too but I wouldn't be obese.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    A $1 McDouble has 390 calories. If I ate one for every meal I'd be eating 1170 calories a day and therefore losing weight at approximately one pound a week.

I'd probably smell bad and be constipated too but I wouldn't be obese.

Not sure if you would be constipated with that much grease but you know your body better than I.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Thank you for educating me on my particular health issues that I've dealt with for the last 5-24 years of my life.

My thyroid meds do not cost $4/month. I am on a liquid caplet that is not generic and it is $60/month and not covered by health insurance as mine only covers generic. I also get my bloodwork checked every 6 weeks for various reasons and this is not uncommon.

If you can't afford to eat healthfully, $100 is a lot of money and you probably won't spend it on healthcare.

Lastly, there are a lot of people who need to eat on the go for whatever reason. Last time I checked, frozen veggies are about the least convenient option.

Your circumstances are unique. Most people do not fall in to your category.

You said the reason people can't buy veggies is that they can't afford them. Now the veggies need to be both cheap and available on-the-go? You're grasping at straws here. You can heat up vegetables in the microwave in 3 minutes. Most people spend longer than that waiting in a drive through queue. It's an excuse.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    most people are critical of others. you can't tell me that you've never heard someone point to a thin or fit person and say "they need to eat a cheeseburger." I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's all over the place. You can either be the person who "doesn't want to start anything" or the voice of change.

I'm generally the voice of change as I don't want to see others get put down for any reason.

That's one of the things that I respect most about you, Bry. You are unwavering in this. IMHO it would have been more productive of the OP to also be the voice of change. Silence is a form of consent, but if you open your mouth and simply say "that was an unfair and callous assessment, there's no way for you to know where those pizza's will end up (at boy scouts, at a youth shelter, at an adult shelter, to the homeless in the stree, to a football party with friends and family)." When one person speaks it encourages others to speak and sometimes it encourages others to think . . . but it requires the finess of delivery . . . simply saying "you're such an *kitten*, I can't believe you would say that" will do nothing for either of you.

you are so smart. Agreed, it is all in the delivery. You can respectfully agree to disagree and explain why, without either party being offended.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I wasn't going to join this one, but I have to say that it is less expensive to eat healthily than to eat off the $1 menu at McDonald's. Needing a "meal on the go" is just an excuse. It's not cheaper to eat off the $1 menu than it is to buy veggies and such. If a person is willing to put the effort into it, they can eat much more healthily for less money. For the cost of a McDouble, today I had a huge salad w/ 3 servings of veggies, 4 oz cooked weight of chicken breast, 3 T fresh grated parmesan, and delicious full fat dressing. The salad was much more filling and satisfying than a single McDouble. If I needed convenience, I could have a peanut butter sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread AND a banana AND a glass of milk for about $.75. That's with getting the peanut butter on sale but payng regular price for the other stuff. Plus, let's be honest here, most people eating off the $1 menu don't eat one item only. A cheap $1 menu meal is going to be at least $2, if not $3-5. For a family of 4, you're looking at probably at least $10 to eat something quick and easy. That's not cheap and it can easily buy a pound of chicken, some fresh veggies, a starchy side and maybe even something for dessert.

ETA: If you need cheap and on the go, fresh carrots are pretty darn cheap, easy, and portable. Buy a bag. Open it. Eat it. Peel it if you like, but it's not necessary. Same with celery, cucumber, apples, oranges, bananas, lots of fresh stuff.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Im noticing that the smoking and molesting has been edited out of the OP.. Good idea.

Being mean to heavy people isnt nice, but it does matter to me, because when they get sick and spend time in the hospital, it comes out of everyones wallet... same with smoking... and every other unhealthy life choice.

OP instead of ignoring it on FB and venting about it here, if it was so disgusting and important to you, why didnt you comment and stick up for the fatties immediately instead of waiting to do it here?
  • ash8184
    Options

1lb of broccoli is $.99, which is a considerable amount more than what $1 gets you from the dollar menu

And clearly, 1lb of broccoli is also as convenient as fast food because study after study has shown that lower income folks (who likely work more hours, likely not white collar) have higher BMIs.

http://smysp.stanford.edu/documentation/researchProjects/2010/fatteningOfAmericaPresentation.pdf