Quack Quack, Dr. Oz!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i would like to spend a night with the OZ.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this year he said on his program I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY BRAND.
    Look at the number of posts by people saying they wanted to try something because they heard on Dr Oz that it is a miracle or whatever. Regardless of his disclaimer he knows people are going to take it as an endorsement, so it's still lying and taking advantage of stupid people for his own benefit.
  • Sarahkoolkatkitty
    Sarahkoolkatkitty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What is it with MILs and Dr. OZ? My MIL loves him too. She's always sharing (forcing) her wisdom with me. Oh, and my toddler's cradle cap was a disease that would make her bald (according to MIL's hairdresser) and my son is autistic because my house is too clean. Sorry, mad at MIL today.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this year he said on his program I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY BRAND. I GET NO MONEY FROM ANY SUPPLEMENT OR VITAMIN COMPANY.

So he's not promoting it, just introducing it on national television, with a wide smile and starry eyed testimonials of people for whom these have the wonder cure for obesity, and cashing in on every cent he gets from the replays?

Yeah. That makes him so much more ethical.

*gag*
  • promiseofpam
    promiseofpam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What is his benefit? So should he not tell us the current scientific thought that is out there?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    What is his benefit? So should he not tell us the current scientific thought that is out there?

No, he shouldn't. Not unless it is medically documented and tested. He's a DOCTOR, not a philosopher. Anyone in a celebrity position can talk about anything concerning their field - but I'd be hella skeptical and hella mad if a NASA scientist suddenly started promoting people who thought the Sun revolved around the Earth.
  • promiseofpam
    Options
    You have a lot on your plate. Sorry your MIL is getting to you. Don't waste your time and energy being mad at her. You deserve better for yourself and your family. Take whatever wisdom is actually in her words, and throw away the rest, and let it go. Letting the words and actions of others go, when they do not apply to you or are not in your best interest, is a real gift to yourself. I figure that at least 75 lbs of my overweight is due to the words and actions of others that I did not let go. Peace to you!
  • promiseofpam
    Options
    He has experts who spell out how they have come to their conclusions. Some tests are documented. If the world waited for everything to be thoroughly tested and documented, nothing would ever get done. For the people who blindly jump on whatever he presents, you can't protect the world from stupidity.

By the way, he is not a one man show. He has a panel of medical experts (Cleveland Clinic is not a fly by night organization) who sift through the information prior to its airing. Maybe we should have to take IQ tests prior to being able to watch his show?
  • promiseofpam
    Options
    He, nor his guests said to stop eating vegetables. He presented the inflammation topic as very controversial. Your "friend" sounds like a hysteric.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    He has experts who spell out how they have come to their conclusions. Some tests are documented. If the world waited for everything to be thoroughly tested and documented, nothing would ever get done. For the people who blindly jump on whatever he presents, you can't protect the world from stupidity.

By the way, he is not a one man show. He has a panel of medical experts (Cleveland Clinic is not a fly by night organization) who sift through the information prior to its airing. Maybe we should have to take IQ tests prior to being able to watch his show?

His "experts" amount to, in the end, promoters and people who are too soon into the magic weight loss solution to realize they've been duped. And of course he is not a one man show - people are gullible, but not useless - if he didn't have medically looking respectable people around him, he just wouldn't be as successful.

The fact that he is, every week, promoting a new "THIS IS IT!" weight loss solution should be more than enough to convince people that something isn't quite right. But people are desperate and scared, so they buy into it. And he knows that the next week will bring an even greater flood of people, just ripe enough with desperation to shell out whatever product he is "not" endorsing.

It's an abuse of power and a flagrantly distasteful misuse of influence.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I think people love him because he talks about poop. :huh:

:laugh:

JanaCanada you are hysterical and I agree poop is very popullar:laugh: Love the pups in your pics too!
  • promiseofpam
    Options
    There will never be only one solution to solve anything. So listen and use your God-given brain to evaluate. There will always be those who don't think. I have issues with the glut of information presented, BUT we are in an information saturated time. New ideas and products are being presented to the world every minute of the day. How else would you know what is out there, if you didn't have a program like Dr. Oz to present the information? Maybe he should begin each program with a disclaimer: "Turn on your brain or you can't watch this program."
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    There will never be only one solution to solve anything. So listen and use your God-given brain to evaluate. There will always be those who don't think. I have issues with the glut of information presented, BUT we are in an information saturated time. New ideas and products are being presented to the world every minute of the day. How else would you know what is out there, if you didn't have a program like Dr. Oz to present the information? Maybe he should begin each program with a disclaimer: "Turn on your brain or you can't watch this program."

Disclaimers are usually a good idea. But as you can see here, the ripple effects of a man who is currently the Quick-Track-To-Get-Skinny-Demi-God is everywhere. We can't be there and force those people not to watch the show.

But we CAN be HERE and correct this misinformation that his show brings, every day, multiple times a day, in multiple new threads by multiple new members.

The hate on for Dr. Oz is because we see the people who are just about ready to give away hundreds of their hard-earned dollars away in the name of a fad diet that likely won't work. You think we are bashing him unwarranted, but we are really going "Hey, this mother****er is cheating a lot of people! We're upset about this!"
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder why Oprah thinks he is so fantastic.... how much did they pay her to endorse him??

You mean how much is she getting paid from that endorsement. Oprah loves money. I doubt she was paid to endorse him, she saw a spark in him and bet on it and now she is laughing while rolling in more dough..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Maybe he should begin each program with a disclaimer: "Turn on your brain or you can't watch this program."
    Maybe the disclaimer should be more like "turn OFF your brain so you don't actually consider doing anything this quack snake oil salesman recommends". That would make more sense. He's a peddler of hype and misinformation.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz. A big reason patients argue with me during nutrition counseling sessions. Hate the guy.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What is his benefit?
    Seriously, you have to ask?
    Dr. Oz. A big reason patients argue with me during nutrition counseling sessions. Hate the guy.
    When they argue, ask them if Oprah is thin. The end. :)
  • primalfare
    Options
    The only show of his that is actually worth watching is his episode: Doctors who say everything you know about cholesterol is wrong.

The rest... I'd say bull****
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I actually spent 23 bucks on that green tea junk and it didn't help a bit. My doc is totally annoyed with him

I actually ordered that junk too and then and had a heck of a time returning it. Funny how they advertise it as "all natural" no stimulants, blah blah etc., but when I got it in the mail and saw it had loads of caffeine in it (a stimulant) and Guarana (another stimulant), Called to cancel the membership and return it and had a 15-20 min go around with the customer service rep who told me I should go against my doctors wishes and take it anyway. I even told I have high blood pressure and it would cause it to increase and even when I said caffeine makes me have heart palpitations. She kept insisting that I try it for 2 weeks. Whoever said quack quack is absolutely correct.
  • promiseofpam
    Options
    There is no doubt that the weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar gold mine. Part of the problem is that we all keep hoping for a magic pill to make us thin with no work or sacrifice. Obesity is such a major problem in this country. We are being sabotaged every single day with every prepared food that we buy and eat. Michael Moss wrote "Salt, Sugar, Fat," (yes he was on Dr. Oz and yes I bought his book). He is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who works for the New York Times. In writing this book he reviewed 8 million pages of studies, documents on the food industry and their mission (to get us to buy more and more of their prepared food products). He also interviewed many of that industry's insiders, who spoke off the record. If you resent Dr. Oz, read the book (your libraries may have it), and you will think long and hard before buying prepared foods again. I have. It has taken more effort from me, but if you plan your menus ahead, cook in quantities and freeze in portion controlled sizes, it is not hard at all. Just a different way to handle what you do, how you do it and when you do it. My lunches and dinners are cooked and frozen once a week or once every two weeks. I don't have a huge freezer either. I challenge all of you to not eat any prepared foods for 3 weeks (the length of time it takes to break a habit). You might also try to keep your sodium content under 2500mg/ day by using all of the other spices that are out there. Be careful of blends like McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning, which is high in sodium. Read the ingredient labels. If you do those three things for 3 weeks, my suspicion is that your weight loss will improve.