Why do we get annoyed by Resolutionists

Options
12346»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Do you only take breaths on your right-side stroke? Maybe you're so angry because of oxygen deprivation?

Seriously? You have nothing better to do than be rude and insulting? No, I'm actually used to pools that give a crap about the safety of their members. Our gym does not. I can't currently afford to go back to the swim club where it mattered.

As to other pools; I can't speak for yours. I can only speak for the ones where I've swum before, and ALL of them have had differing lane-sharing etiquette, but they at least posted it and let people know what's expected.

Yes, I lane share because it's expected, but it's rude to just assume that someone can and will lane share with you. Period. There are several members of the gym who have been going there since I have (back when it was still Ballys) We tend to swap lanes and share with each other during January when the newbies who have no clue about etiquette show up.
    Oh, here's how much the current gym cares about our safety- "Can I speak to a manager? There's four women in the pool, and one guy, and he's at the end of the far lane, masturbating into the pool while he watches us swim.:"'
    Manager: We don't have surveillance in the pool area and unless you have proof that's what he was doing, he'll just deny it. There's nothing we can do about it. You might want to wait until he leaves to swim."

That's awful. Did you complain about this manager to someone higher up?

Frankly, I'd be more irritated by the manager than the wanker.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't hate them, and I encourage them to join in and get fit, but... I mostly swim. And since our gym changed hands (Bally's sold us out) the new owners who will remain nameless but are a large famous national chain, don't care what happens in the pool at all. They have a few rules posted, but they're all hygiene rules, not etiquette rules. (Hygiene is hyper important because they don't clean the pool every day, or even as far as I can tell, once a week).

Newcomers often don't understand that they should 'mark' the lane they want with their towel or water bottle and wait for the swimmer using it to finish. Jump in and stretch out if you want, but don't just assume that someone wants or is able to lane share with you. If I ask you to wait ten minutes, hop in the hot tub and I'll alert you when I'm good to share. Don't just jump in and start swimming.
    I have left-side nerve damage, and I WILL run into you, bump you, etc, without even realizing I've done it. Get the HECK OUT OF MY LANE until I'm in cool-down laps at which point I'll invite you to share. Most pools don't allow lane sharing at all. Wish 24 Hour would clue into safety as a swimming issue, but they're more concerned with packing as many clients dollars into the lanes as possible.

4' pool means NO DIVING. There are signs that say "No Diving", Don't dive in, rock the lap swimmers into the lane buoys and then laugh when everyone glares at you. Moron. Or do dive in and hit your head. Cuz then we all get to laugh.

SHOWER! The signs all say SHOWER BEFORE ENTERING POOL AREA! Don't work out, throw on your swim trunks over your filthy sweaty body and then come jump in the pool or the spa. If you do, you are a disgusting pig. OR better yet, you come, go into the sauna, get even sweatier and nastier, then 'spin rinse' in the little cool-down shower, and dive into the pool. "I showered!"... no, ya didn't. You rinsed your shoulders and got your hair wet.

Make-up in the hot tub? Seriously? You do know your sweating that slime into the water, right?

I try to let newcomers know about lane etiquette when it's clear they don't know what's going on, but sometimes, I'll make my flip turn, come around, and there's someone in my lane coming straight at me.

I started swimming recently because I'm nursing a foot injury and was exploring new cardio options, so this is good information! Luckily the pool is almost empty in the morning and I haven't violated any etiquette rules.

As an aside, swimming is so much more difficult than I had imagined! I am a fair swimmer, as I have always been able to swim from point a to b without drowning, but trying to master the form and the breathing hasn't been easy, and I'm considering taking lessons.

This is not pool etiquette anywhere but in this particular pool. Sharing lanes is usually the rule.

Interesting - I have never seen lane sharing at the pool I go to, but the swim lanes are never that busy, even when I've taken the kids there for open swims during the busy times. Good to know, though, thanks.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Ingroup favouritism .v. outgroup derogation.

There isn't really hate for most people rather than being "one of the club."
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I thought this post was brilliant!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I don't hate them, and I encourage them to join in and get fit, but... I mostly swim. And since our gym changed hands (Bally's sold us out) the new owners who will remain nameless but are a large famous national chain, don't care what happens in the pool at all. They have a few rules posted, but they're all hygiene rules, not etiquette rules. (Hygiene is hyper important because they don't clean the pool every day, or even as far as I can tell, once a week).

Newcomers often don't understand that they should 'mark' the lane they want with their towel or water bottle and wait for the swimmer using it to finish. Jump in and stretch out if you want, but don't just assume that someone wants or is able to lane share with you. If I ask you to wait ten minutes, hop in the hot tub and I'll alert you when I'm good to share. Don't just jump in and start swimming.
    I have left-side nerve damage, and I WILL run into you, bump you, etc, without even realizing I've done it. Get the HECK OUT OF MY LANE until I'm in cool-down laps at which point I'll invite you to share. Most pools don't allow lane sharing at all. Wish 24 Hour would clue into safety as a swimming issue, but they're more concerned with packing as many clients dollars into the lanes as possible.

4' pool means NO DIVING. There are signs that say "No Diving", Don't dive in, rock the lap swimmers into the lane buoys and then laugh when everyone glares at you. Moron. Or do dive in and hit your head. Cuz then we all get to laugh.

SHOWER! The signs all say SHOWER BEFORE ENTERING POOL AREA! Don't work out, throw on your swim trunks over your filthy sweaty body and then come jump in the pool or the spa. If you do, you are a disgusting pig. OR better yet, you come, go into the sauna, get even sweatier and nastier, then 'spin rinse' in the little cool-down shower, and dive into the pool. "I showered!"... no, ya didn't. You rinsed your shoulders and got your hair wet.

Make-up in the hot tub? Seriously? You do know your sweating that slime into the water, right?

I try to let newcomers know about lane etiquette when it's clear they don't know what's going on, but sometimes, I'll make my flip turn, come around, and there's someone in my lane coming straight at me.

I started swimming recently because I'm nursing a foot injury and was exploring new cardio options, so this is good information! Luckily the pool is almost empty in the morning and I haven't violated any etiquette rules.

As an aside, swimming is so much more difficult than I had imagined! I am a fair swimmer, as I have always been able to swim from point a to b without drowning, but trying to master the form and the breathing hasn't been easy, and I'm considering taking lessons.

This is not pool etiquette anywhere but in this particular pool. Sharing lanes is usually the rule.

Interesting - I have never seen lane sharing at the pool I go to, but the swim lanes are never that busy, even when I've taken the kids there for open swims during the busy times. Good to know, though, thanks.

Probably depends at the pool. Especially if there are training programs, teams traininng at the pool etc, there might be several people sharing the lanes, so having e.g. 4-5 people wait until the first completes a 1 hour workout would be impossible. Just try to find a lane where people are at a pace similar to yours, and swim in circles, if you have to share.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    So the regulars who are so easily annoyed were never new?

I thought that!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Do you only take breaths on your right-side stroke? Maybe you're so angry because of oxygen deprivation?

Seriously? You have nothing better to do than be rude and insulting? No, I'm actually used to pools that give a crap about the safety of their members. Our gym does not. I can't currently afford to go back to the swim club where it mattered.

As to other pools; I can't speak for yours. I can only speak for the ones where I've swum before, and ALL of them have had differing lane-sharing etiquette, but they at least posted it and let people know what's expected.

Yes, I lane share because it's expected, but it's rude to just assume that someone can and will lane share with you. Period. There are several members of the gym who have been going there since I have (back when it was still Ballys) We tend to swap lanes and share with each other during January when the newbies who have no clue about etiquette show up.
    Oh, here's how much the current gym cares about our safety- "Can I speak to a manager? There's four women in the pool, and one guy, and he's at the end of the far lane, masturbating into the pool while he watches us swim.:"'
    Manager: We don't have surveillance in the pool area and unless you have proof that's what he was doing, he'll just deny it. There's nothing we can do about it. You might want to wait until he leaves to swim."

It's expected to Lane share and yet surprising at the same time? Okay then.

Aaaaaaand now you have perverts jerking off INTO YOUR POOL and your first registered complaint in this thread was about Lane sharing? And you still use that facility? Okay.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I would say that "gym etiquette" isn't on the new members though. I feel that it is the gym's responsibility that all members know and understand gym etiquette.
    Agreed. The gym I go to has an etiquette "policy" that is posted on their website, and is explained (and a copy provided) to every new member when they sign their contract. I agree with the rules and think they're a pretty good guide for etiquette for a newbie:

* All cell phones must be on silent. Use of cell phones is restricted to the front lobby area!

* Dropping weights and using loud, foul or slanderous language will not be tolerated!

* Food and beverages other than bottled water are not allowed in the workout area.

* Use of alcohol and/or tobacco products is prohibited.

* Ask if you may “work in”, and always let others work in.

* When working in with someone, return the seat and weight to the last user’s setup.

* Wear proper athletic shoes and clothing. Bare feet, socks-only, sandals and work boots are prohibited.

* Towels are required. Wipe off equipment when finished.

* Limit perfume and cologne use.

* Gym bags are not allowed in any workout area.

* Ask for assistance if you do not know how to use equipment.

* Work out at your own fitness level.

* Do not remove weights, benches or equipment from their proper place.

* Collars on weight bars are mandatory!

* Always use a spotter when attempting to lift maximum weight.

* Re-rack weights and return all other accessories to their proper locations.

* Use of chalk is not permitted.

* Misuse of equipment and disregard of this policy will result in immediate expulsion!

I am glad my gym does not have a water only rule. spilled water can be slipped on just as much as any other liquid. I want something with some caffeine to get me going. I have not gotten one complaint in the last 2 years of me going regularly. And even in January, I have always been able to get my full routine in. I might have to switch things up a little, but it all gets done.

Water isn't sticky and doesn't stain.

At my gym, I think their would be a revolt by all the people who drink protein shakes if the shakes were banned. Maybe I just go to a gym were people are more polite, or their is a better cleaning crew, but I have never seen a spill.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    I used to swim at an Olympic size pool (50m x 8 lanes). It was public pool, not private gym members only. I have to say, the only time I have ever had pool lanes to myself, is when I get up at the crack of dawn and was there at 6am. By virtue of the fact that not many people were up at that time, I got a lane to myself, but that's about the only time and I certainly wouldn't expect it.

At 5:30pm the pool is so busy you have about 10 people in a lane. There is an absolute expectation that you share and I have never been at a pool (private gym or public) where you only ever had one person swim at a time and everyone was expected to stand around until you're done. I doubt it would be financially viable for most places to work that way.

The only etiquette was to comply with the signs at each lane saying whether it's a fast, moderate or slow pace lane and to swim clockwise.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

you seem upset, you should smile more.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Ingroup favouritism .v. outgroup derogation.
    There isn't really hate for most people rather than being "one of the club."

Absolutely. However, some people totally thrive on creating an "us and them" situation and the desire to finger-point isn't a particularly nice human trait. "Collective narcissism" is an interesting area of study and we all know what narcissists like to do... project their feelings of insecurity onto others, to make themselves feel better.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have recently been asked to find been looking for a new gym. I am looking for one with a large pool. Preferably one with poor lighting and no surveillance cameras. Anybody have any recommendations?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I have recently been asked to find been looking for a new gym. I am looking for one with a large pool. Preferably one with poor lighting and no surveillance cameras. Anybody have any recommendations?

I've heard of only one such gym ever in my lifetime.

Fortunately, it was in this very thread and very recently.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

It's expected to Lane share and yet surprising at the same time? Okay then.

Aaaaaaand now you have perverts jerking off INTO YOUR POOL and your first registered complaint in this thread was about Lane sharing? And you still use that facility? Okay.

Excuse me, sir, but I believe you dropped this on your way to making your post:

67w6ild7pkwc.gif

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I hate resolutionists. (However, I'll admit that I do hate it when the gym is packed in January.) It's just sad and predictable that a vast majority of them will break their resolutions within a month or so. It happens every year like clockwork. The OP does make a great point about gyms using it as a cash influx to keep membership costs low throughout the year. Planet Fitness's business plan is basically based on this.

The larger issue is resolutions in general. Sure, it's great to set ambitious goals and knowing your goals is the first step to success. However, why is January 1st such a magical date? Why not set your goal on Thursday, May 22nd? If you really cared about achieving a goal, it wouldn't matter to you when you started. What should matter to you is the why and how!

If you do want to think about the when though, wouldn't January 1st be the absolute worst day to start. Think about it. December is usually the most gluttonous month of the year. Holiday and New Years Eve parties are nothing but eating and drinking as much as you can. You want to go from a complete glutton to stone cold sober and super healthy in less than a day? Then you want to maintain it perfectly for the rest of your life? You're pretty much setting yourself up for failure.

Actually, I suggest you start December 1st. This way you can learn how to maintain a more realistic and sustainable healthy lifestyle. Learn that you can be healthy and also go to that party and indulge in your favorite dessert in moderation and not feel guilty about it. You can learn how to be flexible about your workout schedule while making time for social events. You can learn that of you miss a day it's not failure but just real life.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    No my son, we have been there since the beginning. Seen gyms rise and fall, resolutioners come and go, but we will remain.
    So the regulars who are so easily annoyed were never new?