What's in your Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use water. I can never get it right with milk when I try it comes out too runny. The best with chocolate chips :) banana or honey is good too.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and oven baked apple slices
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine in unsweetened vanilla almond milk (30 calories per cup), use steel cut oats and use water to make it thin. After it's cooked, I add 1 TBSP each milled flax seed, chia seed, and some chopped raw almonds. Delish!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I mush up a banana into water and mix it if it's instant oatmeal. Then I add some fresh berries like blueberries or strawberries.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't do oatmeal usually I like Steel Cut oats. I use water Apple pie spice. But I am going to have to try PB!!
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    all of these sound good, gonna try a few. thanks for the input everyone!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I don't do oatmeal usually I like Steel Cut oats. I use water Apple pie spice. But I am going to have to try PB!!

did you get the steel cut all figured out? They're awesome, aren't they?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I love butter and sugar in mine, but need a healthier way to eat it!
    Do you make it with water or milk or ??
    What do you put in it?

I cook it with half milk and half water and then I put a dollop of butter and a handful of walnuts or pecans in it and cinnamon and nutmeg. Sometimes I will grate part of an apple into it.
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually use the little portion control packages...but Ive noticed that some have lots of sugar and usually dont keep me satified for long :-(
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make mine into smoothies using dry oats adding some almond milk, protein powder, some berries or bananas and some natural peanut butter add some ice cubes and blend. YUM! Great quick breakfast or after workout drink!
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of eating oatmeal with anything besides milk and brown sugar until I joined MFP. I haven't been brave enough to do much else except we like to add chopped apple, raisins and cinnamon to the pot while it's cooking. We don't do instant oatmeal any more - quick oats are just as convenient as oatmeal packages and way better for you in my opinion (and cheaper). We tend to use large flakes cooked in water since they are even better for you than the quick oats.
  • annabgray
    Options
    Looks right up my alley
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup three berry medley
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1 tbsp flaxseed
    Cinnamon to taste

Calories: 235

Mix together and put in the fridge overnight.
  • brandtsw
    Options
    Two small boxes of raisins, a bit (Tsp & 1/2) of raw brown sugar and that's it....use water not milk.
  • deineira
    deineira Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 or 1/3 c. of steel cut oats, depending on how hungry I am, sometimes 1/2 water and 1/2 soy milk, but usually just water. I add 1/2 oz. toasted slivered almonds, a little honey or maple syrup and 3 oz. of blueberries. That's usually about 300-350 calories or so. I used to hate oatmeal, but I've come to really enjoy it because I stopped eating the slimy stuff and started eating steel cut oats.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump! Some good ideas on here!
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use untoasted rolled oats cooked for 15 minutes with water and a tiny pinch of salt. I add a big scoop of chia seed and a tsp of chickpea miso paste. I love savory food and my acupuncturist recommended miso to aid in digestion. Untoasted oats have more nutrients and the chia is hydrophilic.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to make Oatmeal in the morning! I think I am going to have to try the banana & pb first :love:
  • jazzi2420
    Options
    I add in raisins and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice depending on my mood. Both are delish!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A lot of artificial flavors, stevia, flavored stevia, and aspertame.