Tight Lacing/ Waist Training/ Corseting

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    I love the way corsets make me look. All mine are too big too.

I wouldn't mind having a few really nice ones eventually though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Or some that illustrate how corsets shift internal organs more than pregnancy does?
    Pregnancy pushes organs up to make room for baby and it's INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. It causes the worst heartburn you can imagine, for one thing.

But when baby is born, they go back where they were. It isn't a permanent change and the body is designed for it.

I don't know if corsets are unhealthy, but I still am not on board with pushing my ribs in farther than they should go and leaving less space in my abdomen than is meant to be there naturally.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Never have done it but adore the look if done properly!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Actually, a proper fitting corset is extremely comfortable, particularly for anyone who has back issues. It's almost impossible not to maintain proper posture in a corset, which is so much less stress on your back than the slumping most people do every day. The boning doesn't really to anything except keep the fabric straight - wrinkles in a corset are devilishly unpleasant - the fabric itself does all the pulling and it's not significantly different from the feeling you get wearing a heavy spandex swimsuit, it just holds everything in. Corsets that hit your natural waist, as pretty much all modern corsets do, are quite safe, complications only arrise with some of the old corsets that tried to create at artificial waist just under the bust - those pesky rib bones don't like to be squished.
  • avlama
    avlama Posts: 502 Member
    i really saw this forum going a different route....i don't corset but i want to start using a girdle to help mold my whole body. now that i'm losing weight i want to keep everything tight. Corseting looks like it's done more if you want to get an hourglass shape, i however, have a naturally small waist.

Anyone else using girdles or anything else to help mold their bodies?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    Actually, a proper fitting corset is extremely comfortable, particularly for anyone who has back issues. It's almost impossible not to maintain proper posture in a corset, which is so much less stress on your back than the slumping most people do every day. The boning doesn't really to anything except keep the fabric straight - wrinkles in a corset are devilishly unpleasant - the fabric itself does all the pulling and it's not significantly different from the feeling you get wearing a heavy spandex swimsuit, it just holds everything in. Corsets that hit your natural waist, as pretty much all modern corsets do, are quite safe, complications only arrise with some of the old corsets that tried to create at artificial waist just under the bust - those pesky rib bones don't like to be squished.

Most of the (*completely anecdotal) arguments against corseting come from the turn of the century marketing campaign for the Edwardian/S-Bend/"health"/Gibson Girl style corset. When the S-bend came into style, in order to get people to start buying it, ads claimed that the previously popular hourglass corsets were "unhealthy".

I"m not interested in 100 year old imaginary arguments about how unsafe corsets are.

PEER REVIEWED SCIENTIFIC STUDIES. that's what I like.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    corset recomposition always makes me think of this, which just looks taxing on the body:

CorsetComp.jpg

I don't see how that can be good in the least. I foresee lots of issues from this type of thing. If our internal organs were supposed to be squished together like that they would be.
    How is no one noticing that this is a victorian drawing and in no way an accurate depiction?

FYI, 24/7 extreme tightlacing can cause temporary damage like muscle atrophy and core/back weakness. There is no evidence of it ever causing organ damage. Most of the "evidence" we have of victorian women damaging themselves thrrough tightlacing comes from a victorian FETISH magazine and is not factual.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    The first 3 pics just looks like the lady is wearing proper underwear...

...that last picture just doesn't look right.....looks...weird.
    Also the first 3 pictures are from the 30's and do not depict a corset. The 3rd picture is obviously edited.
    Incorrect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tightlacing

447px-Corset_16inch.jpg
    I love an hourglass figure, but that looks cartoonish and awful. If I thought any part of that was her natural body, I would never criticize. But I can't imagine hating myself enough to do that to myself on purpose.

I call photoshop. There isn't nearly enough boning in that bodice to draw her in that much.
    Didn't say this originally because I was trying not to focus on that picture, but I agree. No way that's not photoshopped. That corset is not well made enough to do that.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Instead of using a corset why not just get your last two ribs removed? That would be a lot less work!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    There is nothing like wearing a well made quality corset. I'd love to have one to play up an already hourglass-y shape without reducing too much but not until I have the money to invest in a really good one. I love corsets, I always have. If my job weren't physically demanding I'd probably wear those body shapers to have a similar effect that I could wear beneath a teeshirt. I might do that anyway for days off.

But, OP, if you love corsetry and have the money, why make losing weight a factor? Just have fun with it and still work your abs so you can keep the shape sans corset.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Instead of using a corset why not just get your last two ribs removed? That would be a lot less work!
    Really? Cause due to my bone disease I had 8" of rib removed from my chest. For several months nothing existed but pain. I would walk with my arm clutched to my side because I felt like my organs would fall out. My right lung collapsed because it hurt so badly to breathe. It just shriveled up like a raisin and stopped working.

How the eff are you comparing corsetry to that?
  • JustJennie1
    Really? Cause due to my bone disease I had 8" of rib removed from my chest. For several months nothing existed but pain. I would walk with my arm clutched to my side because I felt like my organs would fall out. My right lung collapsed because it hurt so badly to breathe. It just shriveled up like a raisin and stopped working.

I was being sarcastic.
  • Cait_Sidhe

I was being sarcastic.
    You were doing it wrong.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    I would really like to buy a nice corset, but NICE is so expensive...
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    this is my

Help-I-can't-breathe-my-internal-organs-are-shifting-irreversibly-and-my-rib-bones-are-cracking-i-should-have-just-gotten-plastic-surgery Face

550843_2157191387514_748165182_n.jpg
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    -snicker-
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    My wife gets upset when I try on her under things.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I want to know how many of the corset haters wear 4"+ stiletto or platform heels.

♥ my corsets!
  • JustJennie1
    I want to know how many of the corset haters wear 4"+ stiletto or platform heels.

♥ my corsets!

What does that have to do with anything? I love my 6" platform heels and find them to be extremely comfortable.

I never said I hated corsets I said I personally don't understand the whole training thing and find them to not be comfortable on me because I don't like the boning and any garment that limits my range of motion.

ETA my quote:
    Why would anyone do this? Personally I don't like the look. Also I can't imagine walking around all day long in something as uncomfortable as a corset. The boning alone makes me want to cry.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    By no means any scientific evidence or support, but I read this a few months ago and found it entertaining.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/10/10/my-life-in-a-corset-squeezing-into-a-new-dieting-strategy/

I'm fortunately blessed with an hourglass figure, having an odd body shape works to it's advantage sometimes. But I found this article interesting from a novice point of view. I've worn corsets off down to an 18" for years and do not have long term damage, and this with severe asthma as well. My favorite was that Octaviana. *sigh* I wore them several nights a week for years and cinched 2-3" casually or 4-5" depending on the event.

Sadly, I don't wear them much anymore due to the lack of opportunity, though I'm going to see Emilie Autumn next month and that just may warrant a new purchase. I would really like to save up the cash and go to NYC to visit Garo.... But his customs are *REALLY* pricey, but entirely worth it.