I realized something just now.

Options

Replies

• Brianna19992
    Brianna19992 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You know what I used to feel like that all the time but now I go with confidence knowing that they may be thinking that stuff but you know what who gives a rats *kitten* i think to myself their just skinny *****es (pardon my language) who cares what they think i started to learn that I shouldn't worry about what people think its none of their business i used to have trouble going to the gym on my own now i prefer to go to the gym alone so i can get my work out done and not slack. You know whats even funnier is those skinny people that go to the gym most of them are all self conscious just like you so you may think their thinking you should be at home eating when in reality their thinking man that girl must really be trying hard. Here's an example my best friend is a very skinny girl ok she one of those that can eat whatever she wants and not gain an inch. but yet she's always saying she needs to lose weight because she what skinner in high school. in conclusion just go there to do your own thing and don't worry about everyone else, they are there for the same reason you are which is to WORK OUT! :)
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine reports the same. To be honest I think some of it is a little paranoia because of her insecurity. I haven't ever felt that impacted by others and I am quite oblivious to those around me. I am there to work out and I remain totally focused on that. I just assume that others feel the same but I know there are some terrribly cruel people that enjoy making fun. I tell my friend if they have nothing better to do than watch you they are SURE to notice that you are dwindling in size right before their eyes! :smile:
  • charaxid
    Options
    I've been on the creation end of this --- Kind of!
    I don't think bad things about people who are in the gym, walking around the block, whatever it is they are doing.

I get peeved when there are slow meanders of any size taking up valuable sweat space, and are not considerate enough to move out of the faster person's track.

Even when I'm jogging on a side walk, if i see someone coming up behind me, obviously going faster, i jog in the grass so I don't ruin their pace. Or if they're coming at me head on, if they're going faster --- good for them. I'm moving my slow *kitten* out of the way...

But when someone else I encounter is going slower than me, I give them plenty of dirty looks if I'm the one that has to sacrifice my work out because they are too lazy to move.

So I guess it's different, but in my mind they're kind of the same thing.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    "I can just tell..."

You use your ESPN to pick up those signals, eh?

/sarcasm

Just kidding, but do realize that this is 98% in your head. And while the other 2% may not be in your head, it's a small enough percentage to be statistically irrelevant... :drinker:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    When I was lot heavier at the gym I caught a girl watching me. I felt very self conscious and a little upset by it... She later approached me and said I just wanted to say I was watching you work out and I think your incredible... Totally unstoppable. You inspired me. I was very taken aback... Very different to what I thought she was thinking. It changed my whole perception on people watching me... Maybe they are thinking wow I wish I could work out like that! X
  • rellim218
    rellim218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think that in most situations you can look around and see that as much as you might wish you looked like someone you see who is skinnier, prettier, etc, there are as many people looking at you and thinking the same thing...they wish they were YOUR size. When you see how many of us are different in size, whether it is weight, height, proportion or whatever, 90% of the time there is someone else who looked at you and said 'man, if I were just that size things would be better'.
    And what everyone else said, most people are centered on themselves and not you. :)
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think everyone goes through this at some point or another, even people who aren't particularly fat. When I first started running I was terrified of anyone looking through the gym windows and seeing how awful I was. I'd even put the weights at higher settings before I left in case some psychic sauntered in and saw that a n00b had been here.

Then again, I used to be a right c-nt in the worst parts of my eating disorder and judge anyone over 100lb, so yeah, there are going to be losers looking at you, but who cares? They didn't pop out the womb able to lift 300 or run 10k. Fukc em. c:
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i agree with someone that said it might b in your head. at least i used to think the same thing u think. but then, when i think about it, I dont think that about other people. maybe we truly are our worst critics. Anways dont give up!
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what you mean by "doing right" but here's a little insight you'll discover when you become fit and seeing someone who is beginning their exercise journey at the gym....

First a little back story, at my heaviest I was 235 lbs (5'10"). I started walking until I reached 205. Eventually, I began working out at my apartment complex's gym (I've never worked out at a large gym so this experience may not apply). When I was 205-210, I often noticed that those that were fit often would notice me while on the treadmill as well as while weightlifting. Mind you, at 43 yrs old, I really dont care what others are thinking, but it was always a strange feeling. I would ask my trainer and he would tell me that people will sometimes watch someone lift weights in order to get new exercise ideas, watch to see if they are using correct form, etc.

When asked why they notice me walking over to the treadmill, he told me "You'll discover why when you become fit and get closer to your goals."

Jump ahead 6 months, I have reached my "goal weight" (I state it at 165 just in case I continue to lose weight, I am not trying to, but if I do it's no big deal). In walks someone as you described earlier. He's about 5'8", just beginning his exercise journey (He's wearing a matching exercise outfit, sweatbands on his forehead and wrists) weighs around 260-300 lbs and nervously walks up to the treadmill. Takes about 5 minutes to set his towel on the arm handle and program the machine. All this while nervously looking around, After a little while, the treadmill slowly increases in speed and he begins his walking/jogging routine.

During all of this, I was sitting between sets on a chest press machine (I know, taking an extended rest) and I remembered myself asking my trainer why it felt that others were watching me while I got onto the treadmill while being vastly overweight.

Then it dawned on me, was I thinking "Hey tubbo, shouldn't you be back on the couch eating twinkies?" or "Hey fattie, didn't anyone ever tell you that gyms are for fit people?"

NOT IN THE LEAST! NOT FOR A SECOND DID I THINK THAT!

It made me remember when I first began exercising, not having a clue as to what I was doing. It made me remember when I thought that everyone was watching me while using the treadmill. Now guess what I was thinking and wanting to say to that overweight, unhealthy gentlemen on the treadmill (those of us that are fit already know what I'm about to say).

I thought:

Congratulations!
    Good for you!!
    You've finally had enough of being overweight and are doing something about it!
    We've all been there when beginning exercising for the first time!
    (etc).

What people that are overweight and out of shape dont realize when they enter the gym that those of us that notice them, notice them because we all remember when we first began. They remind us to not give up when we feel like quitting (or making excuses not to exercise).

As he was finishing his time on the treadmill and walking out of the gym, I smiled, walked over to him and said "Dont worry about the others here in the gym. We all remember how nervous we felt while first working out. Over time, the nervousness goes away. If you ever decide to lift weights, feel free to ask me what exercises are good to start with and I'll be more than happy to show you some exercises as well as steer you towards the personal trainer that I used when first lifting weights."

My point is, please dont feel embarrassed, ashamed, or uncomfortable about how you look in the gym. The point is that you are in the gym to exercise and gain the benefits from doing so. If you are just starting out and are very overweight, you'll be an inspiration to those of us that are further along in our journey. In time, as you become healthier, when you see an overweight beginner in the gym, you'll "flashback" to when you first began exercising and perhaps they'll inspire you to continue on your journey.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    wait until you lose enough weight that they start brining you in on the jokes and you get the wake up call that it wasn't in your head, they are really talking about you. This has happened to me several times now that I'm getting thinner and frankly I never imagined it as ugly as it really is.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think some of this is in your head. I used to feel that way to, but then I realized, most ppl dont think about me at all. It was my own psychosis.

This^^^ People only think about me when I show up to their house with a badge.
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well, here's what I used to tell my kids. The people who care don't matter, and the people who matter don't care. 8-) Lift heavy, sister.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You're being oversensitive. I've never thought that about an overweight person at the gym. I always think "Good for them!"
  • joyful11
    Options
    That's because you're 19 years old.

There's a gold age which starts somewhere between 25 and 35 where you stop caring and do things for yourself.

Then comes the dark age, when you hit 70, and you don't care about anything at all anymore, and you walk around my locker room at the Y with your knee-length old-man-sac swinging around the room trying to talk about the weather like your gibblies aren't on display.

HIlarious!!!! You made my day.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what you mean by "doing right" but here's a little insight you'll discover when you become fit and seeing someone who is beginning their exercise journey at the gym....

First a little back story, at my heaviest I was 235 lbs (5'10"). I started walking until I reached 205. Eventually, I began working out at my apartment complex's gym (I've never worked out at a large gym so this experience may not apply). When I was 205-210, I often noticed that those that were fit often would notice me while on the treadmill as well as while weightlifting. Mind you, at 43 yrs old, I really dont care what others are thinking, but it was always a strange feeling. I would ask my trainer and he would tell me that people will sometimes watch someone lift weights in order to get new exercise ideas, watch to see if they are using correct form, etc.

When asked why they notice me walking over to the treadmill, he told me "You'll discover why when you become fit and get closer to your goals."

Jump ahead 6 months, I have reached my "goal weight" (I state it at 165 just in case I continue to lose weight, I am not trying to, but if I do it's no big deal). In walks someone as you described earlier. He's about 5'8", just beginning his exercise journey (He's wearing a matching exercise outfit, sweatbands on his forehead and wrists) weighs around 260-300 lbs and nervously walks up to the treadmill. Takes about 5 minutes to set his towel on the arm handle and program the machine. All this while nervously looking around, After a little while, the treadmill slowly increases in speed and he begins his walking/jogging routine.

During all of this, I was sitting between sets on a chest press machine (I know, taking an extended rest) and I remembered myself asking my trainer why it felt that others were watching me while I got onto the treadmill while being vastly overweight.

Then it dawned on me, was I thinking "Hey tubbo, shouldn't you be back on the couch eating twinkies?" or "Hey fattie, didn't anyone ever tell you that gyms are for fit people?"

NOT IN THE LEAST! NOT FOR A SECOND DID I THINK THAT!

It made me remember when I first began exercising, not having a clue as to what I was doing. It made me remember when I thought that everyone was watching me while using the treadmill. Now guess what I was thinking and wanting to say to that overweight, unhealthy gentlemen on the treadmill (those of us that are fit already know what I'm about to say).

I thought:

Congratulations!
    Good for you!!
    You've finally had enough of being overweight and are doing something about it!
    We've all been there when beginning exercising for the first time!
    (etc).

What people that are overweight and out of shape dont realize when they enter the gym that those of us that notice them, notice them because we all remember when we first began. They remind us to not give up when we feel like quitting (or making excuses not to exercise).

As he was finishing his time on the treadmill and walking out of the gym, I smiled, walked over to him and said "Dont worry about the others here in the gym. We all remember how nervous we felt while first working out. Over time, the nervousness goes away. If you ever decide to lift weights, feel free to ask me what exercises are good to start with and I'll be more than happy to show you some exercises as well as steer you towards the personal trainer that I used when first lifting weights."

My point is, please dont feel embarrassed, ashamed, or uncomfortable about how you look in the gym. The point is that you are in the gym to exercise and gain the benefits from doing so. If you are just starting out and are very overweight, you'll be an inspiration to those of us that are further along in our journey. In time, as you become healthier, when you see an overweight beginner in the gym, you'll "flashback" to when you first began exercising and perhaps they'll inspire you to continue on your journey.

QFT Mathguy1. What an awesome story.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I wish everybody, not just "fat" people, would stop judging "skinny" people! This post in of itself is judgemental of "skinny" people.

I get dirty looks everyday because people THINK I'm a "skinny" person. They call me "skinny". I HATE HATE HATE that word! Because I'm not a "skinny" girl. I will ALWAYS be that "fat" girl in 9th grade that wanted so desperately to lose the weight. But, when you look at me and judge me based on appearances, you don't know that.

So it goes both ways...don't be so quick to judge based on appearances. You know my name, not my story...
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    yeah, totally feel judged by 110 pound girls who barely break a sweat at the gym. sucks

The funny thing is, the 100 pound girls you're talking about are probably in worse shape than you are. They're just skinny so it's "okay"

HA HA...so you are judging the thin girls

classic

Me? No. But seeing as how 110 lbs is only a healthy weight for women 5'4" and under, the chances of them being unhealthy/not fit are....moderately high.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    AT the root of it all I think we're all self conscious and project our worst fears onto how other people see us. Work towards your goal and where you will be happy and then...forget the rest of them. They really don't matter.

Does anyone want to attack me for saying we're all self conscious, because YOU are not? It seems like it's been one of those days. lol
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think some of this is in your head. I used to feel that way to, but then I realized, most ppl dont think about me at all. It was my own psychosis.

Wow, really? Since when is anxiety a form of psychosis?

Edit: Okay I looked it up, there is a form of anxiety so severe it can become psychosis. But the OP seems quite far from that point!
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    the best thing I ever heard is "What people think of you is none of your business"

and its true! the only thing that matters is what you think about yourself.

But you are right, when I was at my heaviest I was judged A LOT and now that I'm half that size I get judged by the heavier people who knew me when I was heavy.