I realized something just now.

Options
1235»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Oh I do think people are looking at you. I am a bartender and my customers feel completely at ease telling me how fat I am or am not on a regular basis (like everyday). I agree with you and don't think it's in your head.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Oh I do think people are looking at you. I am a bartender and my customers feel completely at ease telling me how fat I am or am not on a regular basis (like everyday). I agree with you and don't think it's in your head.

are they drunk when they tell you that?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I wish everybody, not just "fat" people, would stop judging "skinny" people! This post in of itself is judgemental of "skinny" people.

I get dirty looks everyday because people THINK I'm a "skinny" person. They call me "skinny". I HATE HATE HATE that word! Because I'm not a "skinny" girl. I will ALWAYS be that "fat" girl in 9th grade that wanted so desperately to lose the weight. But, when you look at me and judge me based on appearances, you don't know that.

So it goes both ways...don't be so quick to judge based on appearances. You know my name, not my story...

Okay, right but your entire profile is pictures of yourself in few clothes. You obviously are saying "Here's my body for you to look at." I doubt many fat people are doing that. Have you ever been denied employment because of your weight? I have. I have been lots of weights and have had the same resumes and even people who don't remember meeting me treat me differently. So many people say, "Oh I wish I was skinny!" Have you ever heard anyone say, "Oh I wish I was fat?" Probably not nearly as often. I'm not saying no one has an issue with skinny people but I don't think it's a pervasive cultural norm that is used to discriminate against and exclude people like it is with fat people. Just saying from someone who's been both...
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    People are not thinking about you as much as you think. I know I don't go around thinking about what others should do or not do.

This^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it kind of seem like "fat" people can't do anything right by some "skinny" people?

Like, when I work out in front of skinny people, I can just tell some of them are thinking, "What is she doing here? Shouldn't she be at home eating Twinkies and watching Oprah?"

I feel the same thing when I go to a restaurant and order healthy, or go to the store and buy healthy things. Shouldn't people be thinking, "Wow, good for her!"

I dunno. That was just a random thought. Maybe that's just the social anxiety talking :p

Also, this isn't all skinny people. Just some people.

I think that's awesome that you can read minds. You could be a superhero! :flowerforyou:
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    From my POV I think "Good for her." I've only gotten overweight the past 5 years...slowly but surely but I've always been inspired by people who are working at getting healthy with diet and exercise. Sure it's easy for someone with a good metabolism to stay thin, thin doesn't mean healthy or "in shape". I know many people heavier than me that are much healthier and stronger and more flexible. I've only recently started working at it and I've got friends on here who are in the "morbidly obese" category who put me to shame with their daily workouts. THEY INSPIRE ME. I hope nobody at the gym looks at me and thinks I'd pass judgement on them based on their appearance (even if they are in perfect hair & makeup walking liesurely on the treadmill). I don't know you, I don't know your fitness level or your physical struggles so I'll bust my own *kitten* (or not depending on my mood) and let you do your own thing in your own way in your own time.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I'd guess most people aren't really paying attention to you. My coworkers wouldn't be able to say what I was wearing yesterday, and they see me five days a week. Random thoughts may briefly flit across people's minds, but as long as they don't say it, it doesn't matter.

Now, if some random stranger* feels a need to comment on your appearance...well, they have bigger problems than whatever your appearance happens to be, even if you are John Merrick** come back to life.

*well, at least the ones who are 10+ years old...kids don't have filters and likely either don't mean anything by it or are parroting their parents. My daughter once looked at a lady in a nice black dress at the grocery store and screamed, "MOMMY, THERE'S A WITCH!"

**The Elephant Man