Fake Activity Calories?

Options

Replies

• av0cad0
    av0cad0 Posts: 20
    Options
    I personally only log intentional, as in get on my sports bra and sneakers and heart rate monitor, exercise.
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how many calories I burn from knitting?

I knit a lot.
    hee, hee. At least one an hour! More if you still lived in TX!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yea,I see the "food Preparation" as exercise on here and I'm just thinking WTH? But,to each his own...If it works for them,then cool.

Cook for a large family over the holidays, like my mom does. You can't tell me that's not a workout.
  • mandalyn23
    mandalyn23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In my case entering these activities would be cheating and the goal of the site is to help encourage you to have a healthier lifestyle. If incorporating these things in their life make a difference then I guess its good for them. However adding these things to mine would be taking a non existent shortcut to actually putting out effort working out and would be counter productive so I won't do it. Good we all get to make decisions that work for us!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My fitbit adjusts my basic activity level. I always wonder why folks can't get 10k steps in?? I have knees from hell and routinely do 10k and sometimes a few thousand more.
    I only count actual activities such as cycling, elliptical and weight/cardio at the gym. Then the fitbit adjusts its numbers based on those entries. I always try to eat less than my actual calorie allowance....try!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything except major things like running, elliptical, etc..
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I will add food prep....for when I am bartending. I bartend a few nights a week in a martini bar so some nights I am shaking martini's for four hours nonstop and through knowing my body I know I need to eat more those days otherwise I get weak....and the day after I am sore from the constant shaking, bending and squatting I do. I do it for my general info so I know why I ate more that day....not so I can binge on several hundred extra calories and feel ok about it. I also take however long I work and cut the time in half so I don't have some huge deficit. I don't add it for when I cook food at home.
  • jgreeley68
    Options
    In my humble opinion, most activities that include movement will eventually burn calories but not necessarily burn fat. The good old fashioned notion of 'if you are burning more calories than you are consuming then you are heading in the right direction', for weight loss of course, is a start.
    Recording all the activities no matter what they are might be useful to a person to look back and see what they have been doing and notice progression or the opposite. I think you have to find what ever works for you which may or may not be the same as others you encounter? I do see the other side to it of course...

This is the one I'm taking to heart!! Totally agreed!
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea,I see the "food Preparation" as exercise on here and I'm just thinking WTH? But,to each his own...If it works for them,then cool.

Cook for a large family over the holidays, like my mom does. You can't tell me that's not a workout.

Agree, I cook for 6 people every single day, thats a workout. Especially when it comes time to clean up and do the dishes.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    oh good lord, how long before this fake thread dies!! :sick: :noway: 209 more posts and it's done!:drinker:
    Give everyone the freedom to make choices that work for them.. we don't walk in their shoes.. so why judge if cleaning, or cleaning out the garage or sweeping the porch is a workout. MFP is for individuals to use as it fits them. I have no clue what "fake activities" even are... sounds more like someone is working to create animosity and silly drama. OP says it was a "curiosity" question... yea, I don't buy that at all! :indifferent:
    oh good lord, how long before this fake thread dies!! :sick: :noway: 209 more posts and it's done!:drinker:

She calls them 'fake' calories and there useless but wants to know if they will work for her? Weird
    yup, a pretty transparent cover story in my opinion..
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

She calls them 'fake' calories and there useless but wants to know if they will work for her? Weird
  • silverthreads1
    silverthreads1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It really does not matter to me what people post for their activity. No matter what they count it must mean that they have increased their activity level from what it was before and therefore at some point it will even increase more, if they are able to do so. A lot of people on this site are unable to do a lot of exercise, so any little bit makes them feel that they have acheived something worthwhile and we should support their efforts in that direction. Let's get behind them and cheer them on. I don't eat back my extra calories so it does not matter what I count.:blushing:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're really hardcore on the paleo/primal thing and are taking down a large herbivore with a spear.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Some food prep is hard work. Baking bread for instance. The kneading process makes me break a sweat every time!

This! And working in a kitchen is freaking NUTS. It's hot, humid and the pace is super fast and I would TOTALLY log that if I still worked in one! I log cooking sometimes if I'm doing a large catering project and plan to be on my feet multitasking for 3 or more hours.
  • kashlen
    kashlen Posts: 16
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how many calories I burn from knitting?

I knit a lot.

This made me laugh out loud. The only way I burn calories by knitting is that my hands are too busy to shove food in my face.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

^Agreed. To each his/her own.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning and food prep because my activity level is sedentary (I'm a student) but I work part time (varied hours) in a salad bar so I log parts (not all) of my shift which is food prep and cleaning for an extended period of time (not to mention running around as well) I log cleaning at home sometimes, but it really depends how much I do and how long I did it for. Knitting, I'm not so sure of though...
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't log it unless it gets my heart rate in the target zone...I don't even log sex but I'bve seen it. To each their own I guess.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    brb..Ive got to go log the calories I burned from typing this...cant, hardly....breathe
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

Yes, we were meant to be friends.