Fake Activity Calories?

Options

Replies

• leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i am on the toes for my job and study , but i log only the times i really go out for a walk for walks sake, and not even grocery shopping.so, my activity log may show measly 10 minute of walk but that may be the only time i was able to spare..
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    How I decide what to and what not to log is very easy:

Did I do this activity when I put the weight on and was unhealthy? then no I don't log

Am I doing this activity to specifically improve my my fitness? then I log it.

All other normal daily activity has been incorporated in the activity setting I input originally.

:drinker:
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. No I was just wondering as some days if I do a big clean up of the bathroom and bedrooms, can take about an hour or so, so adding anything extra to my calorie allowance would be fab.

For those with the snipey remarks - I don't get it - it's a forum about health, fitness and weightloss, so a question about calorific burn and reaching out to see who's had results was retry appropriate to me.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    how many calories do we burn trolling?
  • elsinora
    Options
    I always log walking too
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you don't break into a sweat when cleaning then you're not doing it right. I log cleaning because I'm genuinely exhausted after cleaning my house but I do live with 5 slobs. My doctor said that anything that gets me out of breath counts as good exercise.

Sorry but your doctor is not an exercise professional: you are neither old nor unfit nor overweight enough for that to be the case.

You are breathing hard enough to break up your sentences into a couple of words at a time for the entire cleaning session, no stopping and starting? You need fairly continuous effort to measurably improve fitness and burn a decent amount of calories. Yes there can be peaks and troughs (interval training) but if you breathing returns to normal or so that you can hold a normal conversation that is a break/ active recovery/ warm up/ cool down. If you are not boosting fitness it is physical activity NOT exercise.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that quite a few people add "sitting, sewing" and other activities like "food preparation" into their activity log ad some people rack up a few hundred extra calories from "cleaning, light effort."

Honestly, do these activities, especially the sitting ones, actually rack up an extra burnt calories because to me it's sedentary.... If its worked for you and you're losing weight- please let me know!

Basically, any extra calories to add to my total would be welcomed!

I've seen people log driving and studying ... kind of retarded IMO it's not a exercise !!!!! it's totally to just help whomever is logging it eat more or feel like they are doing everything possible to lose weight. These are the people that will make a post 3 months later saying ..."Help I've been eating at 1500 calories and haven't lost a pound!!" mean while they log the bull **** stuff they do.

I do however log cleaning my house from time to time, it's more so to see how many calories I've burnt .... but I always take off at least 30 minutes of the time spent ie I clean for 1 hour I log 30 mins of cleaning just to see where I am at and to make sure I don't under eat for the day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't judge what people log because if they are logging all their activity it may mean they have their calories set too low and need to eat more anyway.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I used to do that to keep my number out of the red on non-exercise days. Now I don't log any activity other than actual exercise. Also, I just eat when I'm hungry and don't freak out if I go over. I have less than ten pounds left to lose, so it works for me.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that standing doing watching up/cooking tea probably burns a few cals when I link back to FitBit... But as yet I have never started and stopped an activity with it doing the housework, although I agree that a house blitz for me does burn a few - I just wear the fitbit when I do all that stuff/run up and down the stairs with baskets of washing and it comes out in my fitbit adjustment.

I just use a HRM for real exercise!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that quite a few people add "sitting, sewing" and other activities like "food preparation" into their activity log ad some people rack up a few hundred extra calories from "cleaning, light effort."

Honestly, do these activities, especially the sitting ones, actually rack up an extra burnt calories because to me it's sedentary.... If its worked for you and you're losing weight- please let me know!

It definitely works for anyone who counts themselves as sedentary. Most people who consider themselves sedentary but are actually lightly active. If you are using MFP settings, then anything above and beyond your normal activity should be logged.

More importantly, why do other people concern themselves about other people's food and exercise diaries?
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

Haha! love this answer
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I have a fitbit that I wear basically 24/7, and I get an adjustment for that daily--depending on how much walking I do. I only use the fitbit adjustment, and I do not even bother logging my strength training calories ( according to different websites, it is 250-500+ calories per workout)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about that myself. I mean, I can see where hardcore cleaning a house would count...cause you can reallllly work up a sweat doing that! But i personally wouldn't log sewing cals. Or cooking cals. That is just silly.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

I should be SO thin.
  • Tannerb816
    Tannerb816 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

LOL:laugh:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lightly active since I work a stand up and walking around job 49 hours a week so I don't log anything extra since I already have it set for lightly active. If you're somewhere between sedentary and lightly active, then people put themselves as sedentary and then add their activities. If you're sitting and sewing for 6 hours a day rather than laying on the couch watching TV, it's going to burn more calories. As far as preparing a meal.. yeah, opening up a can might not take much, but for some people it can be a two hour standing on your feet, sprinting here and there, chopping, slicing, pounding, stirring, shaking olympic event. My Bodymedia fit logs more calories for when I cook dinner than it does for taking a walk!

Personally it doesn't matter to me since I don't eat back my exercise calories anyway...
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Just had to share this...since I thought it was really funny... I came across a post where someone logged shaving their legs as exercise....made me wonder how 'hairy' they must be for that to count as exercise...lol
  • elsinora
    Options
    I used to log cleaning and food prep back when I was on 1,200 calories/day. It worked, because 1,200 calories is ridiculously low for most people.

Agreed, I think a lot of people set themselves as sedentary so they get 1200 calories and are hungry so they log every little thing to get more calories. I would just change the settings to lightly active and not worry about logging the everyday stuff. Doesn't matter though. To each their own and if they're getting results then who am I to argue.

This is what I was wondering, because some people are getting awesome weightloss results but generally log these type of activities that I don't and frankly, if it works, then I would love the extra calories to add to my requirement each day. That's why I wanted to ask.

I don't post much because I am always worried about angry / snipey remarks (hence low post count) when I just really want to know.

I've only ever logged gym / running / walking / hiking and occassionally cleaning (but stopped when I thought it wasn't quite accurate).

I haven't seen a post on this topic, hence the ask.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Me too...