Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• pamela32365
    Options
    Just wanted to say Hello - day 1 today - feels good to not be alone in this! :)
  • CosmicKid69
    Options
    Hi Pam,

Welcome, good luck with the program there are some really supportive people on here. Keep coming back

CK
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I saw my doctor today and got my products. I am starting tomorrow. I am doing 4 products and 1 cooked meal per day. I am really nervous about being successful. Long road ahead as I have over 100 lbs to lose.
  • tallgirlhere
    Options
    I just started the Optifast diet on April 27. It's day 3 and I thought it would be harder to stay away from "real food".
  • mislibra
    mislibra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started Optifast 900 on April 30th , it's day 5 and I'm almost down 12 pounds!! I'd live to befriend others who are doing it or have done it,
  • macmallrat
    macmallrat Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I started optifast 800 on Monday, so this is day 4. I am trying to "weight" (haha) to get on the scale until next Monday. I have about 75 pounds to lose. So far, I don't feel so bad and am also working out with my trainer 3x a week. I am much more hungry on the days I work out, but tons of water does help. It's great to see this group on here - I'm excited to talk with everyone else who is on this journey.
  • CuteBirdie
    CuteBirdie Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on the Optifast 800 Program too. I just started on May 3rd. Just finishing up Day 5. I feel much better than I thought I would. I was prepared to be extremely hungry, light-headed and I haven't had any of this! I have experienced mild hunger pains, but usually by the time I start to feel hungry, it's time to sip down another shake. I'm glad I purchase all ready to drink cartons. It's so easy to grab every few hours. I'm on 4 shakes and 1 soup per day. I've lost 4.5 lbs in 4 days! I must say I was VERY ready and extremely motivated to start. The nurse at my clinic said she can always tell when someone will do well on the program by how motivated and positive they are. So stay positive! I love that I don't have to focus on food right now. That will come later. So far this has been the best weight loss program where I saw results very quickly! The only challenge I have is some fatigue which is supposed to go away after the first week. I bought a "fitbit" which I love and has been motivating me to fight through the fatigue and walk. It is a very addicting and motivating tool to use. Hey Mac - Great job! I'm impressed you are with your trainer 3x a week...Fabulous! Hang in there everyone. This is indeed a journey...One I think we will all be so happy to be on. Stay Positive!
  • GearK
    GearK Posts: 1
    Options
    Starting on Monday, 76lbs need to go :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if OP of this thread has reached her goal since posting this 16 months ago.

I with she and all of the other posters from last year would stop by and give everyone an update on their experiences with this particular approach.
  • NorthernCalGal
    NorthernCalGal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Checking back in with everyone -- I am on the 2nd week of transitioning to real food -- finding myself a lot hungrier now -- when I was just on Optifast products I had no problem with hunger.

I am very happy with my weight loss so far - 49 lbs in 16 1/2 weeks :) I definitely lose more when I exercise and the key to keeping it off is exercise -- trying to get that into my head that this is a forever situation for me -- a health issue that I have to manage for the rest of my life.

Best of luck to everyone -- hang in there for the newbies -- in my group it seems like many of us are just about at the halfway point - some who had 50 lbs to lose have lost 25 - those of us with about 100 to lose have lost 50 -- men definitely lose faster so the women should never compare themselves to them.
  • shnnnlwrnce
    shnnnlwrnce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone who has used Optifast and completed it had any extra optifast left. I want to try this but I don't want to fully commit to buying these in case I dislike the taste. I'm in the Los Angeles area. If you have any exra please contact me.
  • KrazyKlown75
    Options
    **Update**

5 months in, still on 3 shakes and 2 bars a day. Once and awhile I'll have veggies. Just a little over 100lbs lost so far. Still need about 45 more to go.

fc0e3f30-c8e7-461f-8656-0979258bc918.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    **Update**

5 months in, still on 3 shakes and 2 bars a day. Once and awhile I'll have veggies. Just a little over 100lbs lost so far. Still need about 45 more to go.

fc0e3f30-c8e7-461f-8656-0979258bc918.jpg

Thank you for the update. When you reach target do they help you learn how to eat ? I started a program like this that I begged to be in but then they didn't really want me in it b/c I was not big enough but only relented b/c I bugged so much about how much it affected my injury and may have used feminine wiles. Alas they were right. I was not very successful b/c I didn't have enough to lose and it was disheartening watching others lose so fast. So, I never got to finish but wondered how some of my "friends" in the group fared after. I remember being concerned that some of them had pretty wild eating habits prior and wondering when we would get to the part that taught healthy eating. I assumed since I quit/was phased out of the program to have my injury operated on, that it was something that happened at the end?
  • lighterlemur
    Options
    I have found Optifast a very useful tool.

I have lost 15 kilos (around 33 pounds) on the first phase of 12 weeks with 3 meal replacements, 2-4 cups of low starch vegetables, teaspoon of oil and heaps of water. Really enjoying life in my lower body with blood pressure at bottom of range and blood glucose levels slightly above normal back in middle of normal range.

Exercise has been a mixture of weights at the gym, interval training, walking and really bad dancing.

I have been maintaining at this level for around a month while I focus on other things in life and now I feel really to refocus and lose some more. About 20 kilos (44 pounds) to go.

I don't get the Optifast hating on here. There is some really cool medical research going on in this area right now relating to VLCD and health improvements on the obese. I add myself to those stats. Google under VLCD medical research and read for yourself.

Maintenance is about sustainable long term changes. How you lose the weight does not indicate how well you will maintain. Personally I have not had trouble maintaining my weight but I found weight loss next to impossible and nothing was effective. So I researched on line and found that Optifast was successful with obese people with blood glucose issues.

And no you can't do Optifast and then go back to over eating and expect to maintain. But it can be a very effective tool used wisely.

(I am Australian and we do a slightly different plan with the vegetables and oil and for some larger people additional protein)
  • sjhithersay
    sjhithersay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys
    I am on day 5 of Optifast and although i'm rather tired and hungry im really happy at my 1.6kg weight loss. Because I dont have as much to loose I was started in the transition phase. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences to share about the next phase as im worried once i start eating more whole foods the weight will just flood right back on as quickly as it dropped off.
    Thanks
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys
    I am on day 5 of Optifast and although i'm rather tired and hungry im really happy at my 1.6kg weight loss. Because I dont have as much to loose I was started in the transition phase. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences to share about the next phase as im worried once i start eating more whole foods the weight will just flood right back on as quickly as it dropped off.
    Thanks
    if the calorie difference is just as high as the shake diet is low, then basically that's the case.

If you only had so little to lose, why did you go with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel in the first place?
  • lighterlemur
    Options
    There is no reason why you should regain the weight unless you overeat.

What did a normal day of food look like before? How will it be different after Optifast. To create permanent changes you need to make make permanent changes. It's as simple and difficult as that.

Can I ask how much you have to lose?
  • bobangel90
    Options
    I did the medically supervised Optifast diet twice in the last 6 years. The first time I lost 80lbs, then 6 months later tore my knee up, ACL, MCL and meniscus, had surgery and rehab and gained the weight back--at least that's my excuse. The second time I lost 70 lbs., and then I tore a tendon in my foot in Karate, another surgery and another 6 months rehab. Then to top everything off, I had to have 2 more unrelated surgeries laying me up for months.
    One of our group's psychologist said a monkey can lose weight on Optifast--I believe him. The hard part is the daily struggle to keep it off once you lose it. I know it can work because my wife did it with me the first time and she lost 60 lbs. and has been able to maintain a 50 lb. weight loss. She journals everything that goes in to her body, including her feelings and exercises almost every day. She religiously drinks 80 to 100 ounces of water a day. She is now a 2nd degree black belt, that took 10 years, and she teaches yoga. By the way I'm 55 years old and she is 58. However, most of the group I went through weight loss with have gained it back. Last October I had vertical sleeve surgery where they removed about 80% of my stomach, and lost 60 pounds, now I am down 49 pounds. I am slowly regaining the weight. In desperation, I am now 3 days into an Optifast diet without medical supervision; I bought it from Amazon. I work out 3 days per week at CrossFit and my goal is to get down to 180 lbs. Keep in mind, no one can out exercise a bad diet; weight loss will only work by calorie reduction. I hope I’m not bumming anyone out, but it is almost impossible to lose weight and keep it off. The best chance a person has is some type of weight loss surgery. But, don’t take my word for it; research it and you will see.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I did the medically supervised Optifast diet twice in the last 6 years. The first time I lost 80lbs, then 6 months later tore my knee up, ACL, MCL and meniscus, had surgery and rehab and gained the weight back--at least that's my excuse. The second time I lost 70 lbs., and then I tore a tendon in my foot in Karate, another surgery and another 6 months rehab. Then to top everything off, I had to have 2 more unrelated surgeries laying me up for months.
    One of our group's psychologist said a monkey can lose weight on Optifast--I believe him. The hard part is the daily struggle to keep it off once you lose it. I know it can work because my wife did it with me the first time and she lost 60 lbs. and has been able to maintain a 50 lb. weight loss. She journals everything that goes in to her body, including her feelings and exercises almost every day. She religiously drinks 80 to 100 ounces of water a day. She is now a 2nd degree black belt, that took 10 years, and she teaches yoga. By the way I'm 55 years old and she is 58. However, most of the group I went through weight loss with have gained it back. Last October I had vertical sleeve surgery where they removed about 80% of my stomach, and lost 60 pounds, now I am down 49 pounds. I am slowly regaining the weight. In desperation, I am now 3 days into an Optifast diet without medical supervision; I bought it from Amazon. I work out 3 days per week at CrossFit and my goal is to get down to 180 lbs. Keep in mind, no one can out exercise a bad diet; weight loss will only work by calorie reduction. I hope I’m not bumming anyone out, but it is almost impossible to lose weight and keep it off. The best chance a person has is some type of weight loss surgery. But, don’t take my word for it; research it and you will see.

I can confidently say that both of these statements are patently false.
  • bobangel90
    Options
    Wrong, based on what?