Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• seamom
    seamom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Christy, You are a true inspiration and definitely part of my "change" partnership. Thanks for the thumbs up too. :flowerforyou: Sarah
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Christy, You are a true inspiration and definitely part of my "change" partnership. Thanks for the thumbs up too. :flowerforyou: Sarah

Thanks so much Sarah, you have been a wonderful support to me as well :happy: . When you "meet" people on MFP who are support-focused and open-minded, it is such a great tool. I'm been blessed to have found so many nice people. Of course, it is an open forum, and free-speech enables people to comment and share their differing opinions. I learn a lot, and try not to take it personally if people don't understand or agree with my program. In the end, I have to do what is best for me, and I feel like I'm well on my way to a vibrant, fun-filled life in a body that is much healthier than it was. I wish this feeling for everyone, no matter how they get there.

We all need to be a little bit humble here because most of us have tried every type of weight loss technique, including calorie counting/portion control/exercise, and have lost and gained weight back (in my case, multiple times). I've tried and failed so many times, but I will never lose hope or stop trying - my life and health are worth it. There is no fool-proof right way to weight loss. Just the one that happens to resonate and work for us, at that particular time in our lives. It's a personal decision, but also a personal journey.

I'm looking forward to learning more about mindful eating (we will be exploring this in our transition classes at my clinic), and I'm personally going to be following a low carb life as I begin to transition to food. This is based on my own reflections on my emotional eating and foods that trigger compulsive behavior. Others may be able to eat everything in moderation, and I respect that, if that's what works for them. I'm just in the beginning of a long process of changing my health and relationship with food, so who knows where it will lead. I'm very happy so far.
  • Slim181199
    Slim181199 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelli
    I just started on optifast too and maybe we can encourage each other. I have about 100 lbs to lose. I am doing mine through Kaiser.
  • Slim181199
    Slim181199 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Christy
    Can you tell me how long you have been on the program for Optifast. I am doing mine with Kaiser and just started last week . So I am on my first week still. Have to say I feel wonderful. Very happy and I feel great physically. I believe exercise is a vital part of weight loss also. In the classes I am in with Kaiser they said exercise is important but I have a tendency to go over board with it and don't want to do anything to mess with my weight loss. Can you give me some guidance here please
  • christygb
    Options
    Hi there! I've been doing the full fast for 32 weeks now. I'm in my second 20 week class, but hoping to start my PFE's (Progressive Food Encounters) at the end of the month, when I'm 10 pounds from my goal. I have been slow and steady with the exercise, doing it at least once a week. I took a break from exercise for the first 3 weeks of my program. After doing some scanning of other blogs and posts, it just seemed like people who exercised a bunch felt hungrier and experienced stalled weight loss (due to the very low calories). I have noticed a few people quit before reaching their goal for this very reason. Interesting, but since I've lost a bunch of weight my body wants to move more and I actually LOVE walking and have (gasp!) even jogged a couple of times. My weight loss has slowed down a bit, but that could also be because I'm nearing the end of the weight loss phase of my program.

I'm not a doctor, and made my exercise strategy purely based on anecdotal evidence and how I was feeling. I wish you a wonderful, wonderful experience on Optifast, and in your program. My Kaiser program has been life-changing for me, and the classes have given me a lot to think about as I move forward. Keep us posted on your progress from time to time, and I'd love to be MFP friends if you're up for it!

Cheers,
    Christy
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for awhile and thought it was now time to write. I just completed my 9th week on Optifast (Started 6/24/14) and I've lost a total of 61.2 pounds, going from 330.8 to 269.6. I am on the full fast program and plan on staying on it for at least another 4-5 weeks before transitioning to the modified plan.

Years ago I lost weight when I needed to pretty easily and was very disciplined, but more recently it became more and more difficult (I am now 49) and I just kept gaining, and gaining, and gaining. I had become a type 2 diabetic and was on U500 insulin, byetta, and metformin. I reached a point where I knew I had to do something, primarily for my health and to be around for my kids and eventually grandkids, but also just to feel better about myself and be able to be more active in my life and business/work. My wife is a nurse and she was telling me about a patient who had success on Optifast, and the next day I did some research online (including this forum) and called to sign-up for an info session at a hospital-affiliated program. Within a couple of weeks I completed the exams and started the program. I found it attractive because is was closely monitored by doctors (weekly visits while on full fast), included meetings with a nutritionist and exercise physiologist, involved weekly group meetings (which are great), and includes a year of maintance meetings and support. I choose the full fast because I thought I would have more success initially if my plan didn't involve meal planning or choices. One downside of the program is the cost. Although the doctor visits are covered by my insurance, the cost of the program itself, co-pays, and the shakes aren't cheap.

So 9 weeks into the program and it has worked great for me. It has not been easy (if fact at times it has been very hard) - going to 4th of July parties, a family reuinion, wedding, business trips, and just being around good food in general and not eating. After a week or so you aren't actually hungry, and sometimes I have to remind myself to drink my shakes, but it is still hard smelling and seeing great food and not eating it. But focusing on my success and thinking about where I can be in the relatively near future by staying faithful to my plan has kept me on track. My financial investment is also a motivator. So far I have not cheated once. I'm now totally off all diabetes medication. I feel tremendous and I'm thrilled with the results. I have gone to a regular 2x shirt from big & tall 3x and and 42" waist pants from a tight 48". For the first time in years I can buy clothes in "regular" stores. For exercise I've kept it very basic, pretty much just walking 1.5 - 2.5 miles per day (my dog is pumped) and tracking my activity with my Fitbit One.

To be honest not everyone in my group is losing at the same level, and some are back for a second time, but the majority are doing well. I am looking forward to going to the modified stage (1 meal and 3 shakes) and eventually all "real" food and making the lifestyle changes necessary to helpfully keep the weight off (finding my maintenance level carloric intake, establishing macros, and lots of exercise). I fully understand that no matter how the weight is lost, if you go back to old eating and lifestyle habits the weight will go back on. This is true whether you lost it on Optifast, Weight Watchers, calorie deficit off TDEE, etc., etc.

Good luck to all of you in whatever programs you are doing to lose weight and get healthy. I think it's a personal decision on how you want to do it, and I certainly don't think there is only one way to get it done. It's a battle, but keep the faith and hopefully we'll all get where we want to be (and stay there)!

And thank you to others on this forum, including @christygb, who helped me realize this was worth a shot. I too will try to provide periodic updates.

Best wishes!
  • debivan13
    Options
    Hello I am new on here and love reading all the positive comments on Optifast as I need a good support group. I just started optifast 2 weeks ago and love it so far, and even if I did not love it I would just make the best of it because of all the positive things that are starting to happen to my body and mind.
    I have a great team of doctors, nurses and dietitian, heart doctor, counselor if needed and a meeting every weds for 2 hours of learning about our diet, future eating and how to exercise and I love my group they are all there for the same reason, better health and to learn how to ween off the program one day and know how to (have the tools) to be successful the res of their lives.
    I am already of 2 pills nod my Bp is already down to 129/69 it awesome with less pills.
    Just in 2 weeks I feel more confident and excited. I know it is hard but just thInking of my future and my longer life makes me happy. My kids are my cheerleaders. In the beginning they did not understand what it was all about but now they do and support me.
    I know each week I weight in they go over my blood work in private and I feel safe.
    I journal each day that really helps and I keep away from any negative people. Don't need it. May people in the past and even now tell me this is crazy or just diet and exercise and think they know everything, well they don't know me or you and I hate it when a trainer or small person who has never needed to lose a hundred pounds thinks they know it all they Do not.
    Losing thIs much weight is a journey and is all positive. I can't wait to share my journey with all of you who are on Optifast too we can do this together. gosh it's just a different kind of food that is so easy to do with all the structure and team at Kaiser who want us to be healthy and successful. They cheer us every step of the way.
    Losing the weight is one thing but getting off all of these drugs is another good thing, btw my sugar is already normal thank God no pills.
    I know I Can Do this and so can you,
  • debivan13
    Options
    Great post and more power to you,mi am prod of you and happy for you too. I am so excite about my Optifast and know it will work. I made up my mine and will succeed too. All the neg talk goes in one ear and out the other , I listen to my team of doctors and I also have read tons of information.i am just so ready to get me back and get off my meds finally. Getting my self esteem back too. I walked only 5-10 mins once a week now I walk 1-2 miles 3-4 times a week. The people who love me are my cheerleaders.
    I was writing a book I hope to finish , the life of a fat person. I use to be in good shape most my life but gained gained over the last several years, when my youngest daughter passed from meningitis at 18 I just got so depressed. Now I know she would want me to be healthy and happy. I have Lupus and have been very sick sometime and been on lots and lots of steroids but I hate to tell anyone when they are bullying me telling me I need to lose weight I why did I let this happen.
    I write about how mean people can be toward far people and how I have watched the thin girls at work get the promotion and other jobs, the way people look right thru a fat person like they are not there and when they do look they start or make commits. I hate to be told I have a pretty face but.....the way a doctor will talks to my legs while I sit at the table because they are fat, instead of looking at my face. I told one dr please talk to me not my legs. I hate the way plus size clothes look ugly why can't they make them pretty. with lace and all. My back went out and the chiropractor was handsome. And he looked at my legs and said have you ever thought about maybe you should lose weight. :) yikes I said my legs can't talk, he looked at me like I was crazy. I needed to cross a parking lot full of traffic and a beautiful girl went across as the car waited. It when i tried to cross he almost ran me over. It's so said. The other day a man and women were in Sally's a beauty supply and I was looking at some thing they came in and bullied me to get in front of me, they had a BMW and nice clothes and rings and she was skinny and he was tall. I pi
    It my stuff down and walked away they knew what they did , he said to me yes we are better then you your fat. I said t hat was mean he said and she said well we are better then you. Go figure. I was horrified and left . It was so sad so I felt sick for 2 days.
    I want to lose weight not for those people out there but for me, a healthy me, confident me, a new me, a pill free me, and a happy healthy grandma me.
  • debivan13
    Options
    Great post and more power to you,mi am prod of you and happy for you too. I am so excite about my Optifast and know it will work. I made up my mine and will succeed too. All the neg talk goes in one ear and out the other , I listen to my team of doctors and I also have read tons of information.i am just so ready to get me back and get off my meds finally. Getting my self esteem back too. I walked only 5-10 mins once a week now I walk 1-2 miles 3-4 times a week. The people who love me are my cheerleaders.
    I was writing a book I hope to finish , the life of a fat person. I use to be in good shape most my life but gained gained over the last several years, when my youngest daughter passed from meningitis at 18 I just got so depressed. Now I know she would want me to be healthy and happy. I have Lupus and have been very sick sometime and been on lots and lots of steroids but I hate to tell anyone when they are bullying me telling me I need to lose weight I why did I let this happen.
    I write about how mean people can be toward far people and how I have watched the thin girls at work get the promotion and other jobs, the way people look right thru a fat person like they are not there and when they do look they start or make commits. I hate to be told I have a pretty face but.....the way a doctor will talks to my legs while I sit at the table because they are fat, instead of looking at my face. I told one dr please talk to me not my legs. I hate the way plus size clothes look ugly why can't they make them pretty. with lace and all. My back went out and the chiropractor was handsome. And he looked at my legs and said have you ever thought about maybe you should lose weight. :) yikes I said my legs can't talk, he looked at me like I was crazy. I needed to cross a parking lot full of traffic and a beautiful girl went across as the car waited. It when i tried to cross he almost ran me over. It's so said. The other day a man and women were in Sally's a beauty supply and I was looking at some thing they came in and bullied me to get in front of me, they had a BMW and nice clothes and rings and she was skinny and he was tall. I pi
    It my stuff down and walked away they knew what they did , he said to me yes we are better then you your fat. I said t hat was mean he said and she said well we are better then you. Go figure. I was horrified and left . It was so sad so I felt sick for 2 days.
    I want to lose weight not for those people out there but for me, a healthy me, confident me, a new me, a pill free me, and a happy healthy grandma me.
  • christygb
    Options
    Hi KeepTheFaith9 and Debivan13!

Congratulations on all your successes so far on Optifast. That is wonderful to hear and I'm so happy that you both are feeling good during the fast! I agree that the non-scale measurements of health are almost more powerful and life-changing :-) For myself, I notice so much more energy and stamina. I have walked a bit during the program, but I wouldn't call myself a workout warrior or anything. But I can see a significant improvement in my speed and exertion level and I love the change. This has been a surprise to me throughout the weight loss.

I'm finally transitioning to food now that I'm about 10 pounds from my goal. My Optifast program allowed us to continue with the full fast until we got within 10-15 pounds of our goal, so that's what I did. It was difficult facing numerous social situations and not eating. As an obese person it's never easy to stand out in food situations, but those moments passed quickly, and most of the people I socialize with knew that I was on this program and wouldn't be eating, and they got used to it quickly. Over time, when my weight loss was apparent, they were very encouraging. For all that this program and the weight loss has done for me, I can honestly say that those very few awkward moments were worth it.

Now I'm on to the next set of challenges - incorporating food and putting into practice what I've learned. I had a few hiccups, but was most thrilled to be able to get back on track. This is new for me. Luckily I'll also have my maintenance group and weekly support.

I wish you all the best on your programs!

Christy
    optifastadventurer.blogspot.com
  • twish7
    twish7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am finishing day 13 on Optifast. I did the program about 10 years ago through my local hospital and had great results. However, I wasn't ready to keep the weight off. In the past 10 years, I've done a lot of work on myself in a number of areas, including my relationships with my body and with food, so feel better positioned to maintain and build on any losses. That said, I am doing the program on my own for the moment. I may start back with the hospital in January 2015, but I was ready to start and didn't want to wait.

It's encouraging to read about other people's experiences on Optifast. Good luck!
  • christygb
    Options
    Good luck to you twish7! Let me know if I can be of support to you.

Christy
  • booya6565
    Options
    How many calories per day are eaten doing optifast?
  • gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of Optifast, I have three shakes a day and yesterday/today consumed approx 464 calories including some black coffee.

Some of the sachets are slightly larger and have a slightly higher calorie count, but they are still very very low calorie. If you buy in the larger packs of single flavours like I do they are smaller sachets (no idea why that is).

People usually eat some veggies from the approved list as well which increases the calorie level a bit. I need to start doing this cos right now I'm starving on 3 shakes a day!!! I've just been too busy (slash lazy) to cook anything.

Gnomie
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    On the program I'm on if you're over 300 lbs you have 6 shakes a day. Each regular shake has 160 calories, 16g Protein, 3g Fat, and 20g Carbs. So if over 300 lbs for a day that would equal 960 Calories, 96g Protein, 18g Fat, and 120g Carbs.

Under 300 lbs is 5 shakes a day, so the total would be 800 calories, 80g Protein, 15g Fat, and 100g Carbs.

There is also a high protein shake, which has 200 calories, 26g Protein, 6g Fat, and 10g Carbs. I was prescribed 2 HP shakes and 4 regular shakes a day initially, and then it went down to 2 HP shakes and 3 regular shakes when I went below 300 lbs. So right now I'm getting 880 calories, 100g Protein, 21g Fat, and 80g Carbs.

I am in the U.S. and my program when doing the full fast option does not include veggies.

Hope this helps!
  • NZStippy
    Options
    Hello everyone. I Started on the program 6 days ago. I'm doing it on my own.
    I'm having surgery on September the 15th and the Doctor wanted me to drop 5kg. By yesterday I had already dropped 4.5kgs, but today I find I've only lost another 0.1kg. Thing is yesterday I substituted one of the shakes with some ham and salad. I thought because the daily calories were still within the range it would be OK. I assume this was not a good idea?
    I'm finding the program really good and the weight loss is providing immense payback. I intend to continue it beyond surgery and when appropriate carefully manage the transition to better eating habits.
    Cheers
  • memostyle78
    memostyle78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I am glad that this is a discussion on the message boards. Good to know that I am not doing this alone.Today is my fourth day on Optifast 70. I am doing a medicaly suppervised program through Kaiser Permanente. So far so good, no major issues, just slight cravings. I thought for sure consuming 400 cal a day was going to be way worse. I am 35 years old, 5'11"tall, and 366 lbs and was diagnosed with diabetes one year ago. I do exercise regularly, I'm a cyclist. I know that is hard to picture giving the stats I gave but its true. I guess that is what is killing me the most, the MD said not to ride my bike or exercise, they will re vist this every week and let me know when its okay for me to start again. Has anyone been told this? Well I hope this program works for me, I'm looking to lose atleast 166 lbs and have my diabetes reversed.

-Memo
  • OptiAussieBloke
    Options
    Hi
    Just started Optifast down under. Im a 45 year old guy who has a goal to shed 30kg's I currently weigh 120kg. In my second week and already down 3kg so I'm 10% there.
    I too am a cyclist and ride approx 60miles / week.
    Need some hints from all you big 'losers' to stick with it.
  • iheidibefitt
    iheidibefitt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Just started Optifast down under. Im a 45 year old guy who has a goal to shed 30kg's I currently weigh 120kg. In my second week and already down 3kg so I'm 10% there.
    I too am a cyclist and ride approx 60miles / week.
    Need some hints from all you big 'losers' to stick with it.

I'm not doing these but from what I've read of other's experiences, you might not be consuming enough calories to be biking 60 miles a week.

I'd check into that to be "safe"! Good luck.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My wife used to run an optifast clinic and I used it a few years ago with great success.

It is a great product - nutritionally dense and quite tasty.

As much as it works, I think it also creates a psychological addiction in many of the clients that use it. It becomes a crutch - such that you believe that you cannot lose weight without it. Many clinics don't teach people how they can move off the optifast - and they are only interested in selling product.

I also think that because it is so tasty - but goes so fast - your body doesn't have enough time to being sated. I'd rather (now) eat a huge salad with some protein that takes me 20 minutes to eat and more to digest. I purposely didn't do optifast this diet because I relied on it too much in the past and realized that I gave it more credit for my weight loss than eating right.

I'm being careful not to run down the product, because I think its the best food substitute on the market. I also know that some clinics are better than others - and I don't want to tar the people that are using it as a supplement not a replacement. But every clinic has a few people that are particularly "addicted" to the product and have been using it for years without making the final gains they need to make.