Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• Metamorph1959
    Metamorph1959 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The impatience is a big thing! It's so motivating to see results, and that is one of the good things about this program. The other big thing for me is the "resetting" of hunger signals and eating habits. I'm amazed to find that I'm less hungry (since the first two or three days, that is) on 800 calories than I was on 1800 calories, which I just couldn't sustain! And I may still be in the honeymoon phase of this diet but, gee, it's so nice to see the number on the scale go down *every* day!
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Erubs and Metamorph,

So happy that you ladies are feeling good and getting results. I was very quiet about my diet (apart from a somewhat anonymous blog that I started writing about my Optifast experience) because of the negativity out there. You don't owe anyone an explanation about the way you choose to nourish your body - now or in the future. Through the process of attending supportive classes and writing and reading weight loss blogs, I'm feeling strongly that we should own our individual eating choices and not be apologetic. One blessing you'll discover while doing Optifast is that despite the initial reaction of people when you tell them you won't be eating at a gathering, people really don't pay much attention to what you eat or drink at any given time. This has been very helpful to me now that I'm eating, but making certain choices to pass on some types of foods.

It takes courage to live by the mantra "To thine own self be true". But it's the healthiest thing we can do in the long run so that we're able to live a healthy and active life.

I wish you both the very best and I'm rooting for you!

Christy
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Fellow Optifasters,

A quick update. I just finished week 13 of the full fast (5 shakes per day) and my total weight loss is 83.4 lbs (from 330.8 on June 24th to 247.4 yesterday). This is my last week of all shakes - next week I will transition to "modified" which in my program is 1 lean meal and 3 shakes per day. Then after a short time I will transition to 2 meals and 1 shake, and then all food. I'm looking forward to eating again, albeit in a healthy way! I've been using the food diary on MFP to plan meals for my eventual return to all food within certain macros and calories. What a great tool!

Optifast and the support program I'm in has been a life changer for me - literally. I know there's a lot of work ahead even (or especially) after I reach goal, but I am so happy to have to worry about losing another 20 or 25 pounds and then keeping it off, versus being 330 lbs and feeling out of control and helpless. That was the point I was at before starting this program, and I'm so l fortunate I found it (or should I say my wife did).

Good luck and best wishes to everyone and I'll update again in a few weeks or so. And don't let the naysayers get you down - do what works for YOU. There are many different paths to success!
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congratulations KeepTheFaith! You've had a fantastic weight loss in just a few shorts weeks! Thanks for checking in!
  • KeepTheFaith9
    Options
    Thanks Christy and congrats to you too! I enjoy reading your posts and also your blog. I was just reading your "Tipsy Grazing" entry and I have a feeling a couple of drinks will have a similar effect on me! Good stuff...
  • mexicook
    mexicook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I start on Friday! (Optifast 900 in Canada) This place is great for support! Good Luck to all that have started, just finished, or about to start. Feel free to add me!:smile:
  • KeepTheFaith9
    Options
    Hi - Quick update. 17 weeks in and I broke the 100lb mark! Transition to full food continues - now doing 1 shake and 3 meals a day. I am going to try to upload before and after pics - we'll see if I'm successful! The first is from June 2014. The second is from last weekend. Continued best wishes to everyone on their weight loss/maintenance journey!t2obciamccdn.jpg
    oezbvz1ps4d6.jpg
  • macmallrat
    Options
    Hey everyone - I started opti 800 in the beginning of May and had terrific results (about 40 pounds). I got off plan in July and have gained back 10. I still have another 50 to lose and want to get back on the full fast, but am having a hard time getting back on track. Can't seem to get focused. Any advice?
  • KeepTheFaith9
    Options
    Hi Mac - I know one thing we discussed in our group meeting was to keep a list of reasons why we want to lose weight/get healthy with us so we can look at it whenever we have the urge to go off track. I also keep a "before" picture and my old medicine vials around so I can look at it when I start to think about whether it's "worth it". I also personally just tried to focus on the benefits of losing the weight and thinking, "if I don't cheat I'll get there sooner". The weekly weigh-ins also became a challenge for me and I'm a competitive person, even if I'm competing against myself! Finally I want to prove all the nay-sayers wrong, even (or especially) now when pretty much at my goal weight and going to be starting more of a maintenance plan. Good luck and best wishes!
  • zohnis
    zohnis Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on MFP, I found this blog very helpful & inspiring. I live in Ottawa , CA and want to start the optifast 800 plan. So, anyone has a clue where I can get it from?
    thank you
  • AiryGia
    AiryGia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there...

About a year and a half ago, I started the Optifast plan. I lost 35lbs... and have kept that weight off. It was tricky getting back on to 'real' food, but the entire point of the program *I* did was to take the shakes as your fuel, make it easy for yourself to NOT think, obsess and worry over food for several weeks, mean while I was in intensive classes learning about... well, everything. Food, my relationship with it, exercise, health, nutrition, label reading, creating a healthy home, how to shop, how to eat out, expectations, dealing with other people trying to side track you, etc etc...

The point of the Optifast was never to think we could survive like that long term. It was a way to subsist, ensuring we dropped weight and stayed motivated, while we got 'off' food (like any other addict) and re-learned everything we knew.

It was pretty amazing, to be honest. And yes, a LOT of people gain back the weight. It would be REALLY REALLY easy to do so.

But if you're using the program as you might another addiction program, and really ABSORB what you're bring taught, the Optifast is not the part you focus on.

Good luck!
  • jenny10187
    jenny10187 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I began the Optifast 800 shakes without the guidance of the nutritionist etc. 2 weeks ago. I am satisfied with my results so far and plan on doing 4 more week. I have lost a total of 16 pounds since the beginning of January (not all from optifast). One thing I am unsure about as I am not doing this through the full program is what type of exercise am I allowed to do?
    I I currently walk around 10,000 steps most days but would like to do some 15 -20 min workouts at home in the evening. More so muscle toning type workouts. Do you feel this is doable or should I complete the 4 weeks before I begin workouts? I am 173 pounds today and my goal is 140 lbs...for now! Feel free to add me or inbox me!
  • jackfrostbite1
    jackfrostbite1 Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am very happy on this diet. I am actually NOT looking forward to eating solids again. I could do this quite happily the rest of my life. I am losing usually 3 pounds a week on average and down 35pds over the last 10 weeks. For someone who has a multitude of problems and diseases this is unheard of.
    I have had really high blood pressure for the past 5 years and going on a healthy or low calorie diet did nothing to change it. I even lost 25 pounds prior and had no improvement at all and was holding my first prescription of pills which I didn't want to take due to it being contraindicated for pregnancies which is why I am doing this all. 1 week and 1 pound lost on optifast and my bp went normal. And now 10 weeks later its even lower.. so much so I was a little concerned and googled it but it's still in the normal range. I am so relieved to not take these pills!

My husband has been doing atkins shakes.. same as how I do 5 shakes a day but he has an atkins meal like meat or eggs and not that much. Sometimes less shakes or a bar. He isn't losing. He keeps telling me he knows how to do this but he might lose 2 pounds a month and he needs to lose about 80. Neither of us are in ketosis so I don't know what is in those shakes! His bp is even higher than mine but he has had that since he was little so I'm not sure diet would help; but I want to experiment on him. Unfortunately the $400/month I can only afford for myself not both of us :(

I haven't logged in here for a very long time but my goal weight on here which was actually a very crappy goal but I have surpassed it lol. I am down 60 pounds now and that felt pretty good. I figure another 68 until I can get my IVF for a baby. I just wish I lost as quickly as everyone else as I am crossing an age limit for it.
  • trischa5594
    trischa5594 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just started the Optifast 800 through the University of Michigan's Weight Management Clinic. This is day 3 for me and so far, I'm finding it okay. I have 100 pounds to lose so it is nice to see the encourage pictures and posts. I'm ignoring the negative ones - or trying to. I have sleep apnea, am pre-diabetic, and taking medications to lower cholesterol and improving the good cholesterol. This is why my doctor has referred me to U of M and they have started me on this diet. I am hoping that I can ward off the diabetes, get rid of my C-Pap machine along with the meds. So here's to joining the bandwagon here and hopefully getting rid of this unhealthy weight and learn to eating patterns.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kellie2013 wrote: »
    wow just saw there were a few rather negative comments to my post. not sure what attracted the nay-sayers here
    Must have been the headline containing the word "optifast" :p

but what i am actually looking for are positive and happy people who are on this same journey.
    Oxymoron ;)

like minded people if you will. support and encouragement are vital and if there are any optifast users out there who would like to be pals on here send me a request, i would love to share support with you =)
    If you desperately need support and encouragement to eat, I'd suggest changeing your diet :s

Oh dang, old thread... but the subject never gets old!
  • KeepTheFaith9
    Options
    Hi Trischa - Good luck to you and ignore the snarky comments like the one above. I will send you a friend request. A medically managed program using Optifast isn't for everyone, but it was a life changing experience for me. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, but some people don't realize that and participate in a certain type of MFP group think. Good luck!
  • OliveWH
    OliveWH Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started Optifast in November 2014 (about 13 weeks ago) and have lost almost 30 pounds. Not 100% compliant, but enough for the weight to come off. My current weight is around what was normal for most of my adult life, so struggling to believe I can weigh less, if that makes sense. Maybe a little self-sabotage going on. I am transitioning to 4 shakes and one meal now. Excited about getting to eat "real food" again, but also nervous about going overboard. I'm happy to find a thread with positive Optifast people. I work out 3-5 days per week at Orange Theory Fitness. And, I feel great. The 100% Optifast plan was so easy. I never realized how stressed out I was trying to plan healthy meals until I broke up with food for 12 weeks. My whole family has seen a difference in my stress level since starting the diet. Hope I can keep up the stress free optimism as I transition to regular food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OliveWH wrote: »
    I started Optifast in November 2014 (about 13 weeks ago) and have lost almost 30 pounds. Not 100% compliant, but enough for the weight to come off.
    Calorie deficit made the weight come off.
    My current weight is around what was normal for most of my adult life, so struggling to believe I can weigh less, if that makes sense. Maybe a little self-sabotage going on. I am transitioning to 4 shakes and one meal now. Excited about getting to eat "real food" again, but also nervous about going overboard.
    You know you could have been eating real food all along, right? And that the journal and meal planning and all the knowledgeable people in the forums are there to help you stay on track?
    I'm happy to find a thread with positive Optifast people.
    It worries me. But most of the "positive" people sell the stuff.
    I work out 3-5 days per week at Orange Theory Fitness. And, I feel great. The 100% Optifast plan was so easy. I never realized how stressed out I was trying to plan healthy meals until I broke up with food for 12 weeks. My whole family has seen a difference in my stress level since starting the diet.
    I love food. That sounds so sad!
    Hope I can keep up the stress free optimism as I transition to regular food.
    Why would it work better now?
  • KeepTheFaith9
    Options
    @olive - congrats and good luck as you transition! PS - I don't sell the stuff, it was prescribed by a doctor :)
  • Jclark14454
    Jclark14454 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have just started week 7. I am down 18lbs so far :)