Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yep, did Optifast in 2013. It was very successful, but I didn't stick with my doctor long enough to transition properly. That is a very important part of the process, so you don't undo everything you have accomplished. Which I did (not the fault of the Optifast plan). Maintenance is the lifelong challenge and requires a plan. I am not on Optifast this time, just following a 1200-1300 calorie medically supervised program using real food.

Good Luck!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds with optifast in 2007, kept it off for about 2 years until health issues caused me to go on long-term steroids and I gained it back.

It was easy to lose the weight, and the gradual transition back to food was helpful for maintaining.

It would have been helpful to learn how to lose while eating food, too, as part of the maintenance program. They simply rely on the shakes (their main source of income) for any needed weightloss during maintenance. After eating real food (as in meats, produce, dairy -- not boxed and mass-produced products) the chemically too-sweet flavor of the shakes made me nauseous.

It's expensive, but if you need the structure (I did at that time!) then it's a good investment. It was quick, easy, fit into my crazy schedule at the time, and the lack of time spent in food prep freed up time for me to exercise, and build those habits, too.

I'm here now, losing with a low-carb mostly primal-style diet. Losing despite the steroids and other compounding health issues. And for free.

Pros and cons :)
  • carina62
    carina62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is Optifast any good for type 2 diabetics on metformin? thanks
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    carina62 wrote: »
    Is Optifast any good for type 2 diabetics on metformin? thanks

Yes-- it's designed for people who are diabetic or insulin resistant, and it's closely medically monitored. You see a doctor weekly at weigh-ins, and have weekly (or so) labs checked.
  • mandylkrueger
    mandylkrueger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lost 10 pounds already but this past week has been a struggle staying committed to only the optifast shakes and products :/. going to start again tomorrow only drinking optifast shakes and when I feel like I'm gonna cave I'll eat an optifast soup or bar. has anyone else caved in also but found great results when getting back on track?
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    lost 10 pounds already but this past week has been a struggle staying committed to only the optifast shakes and products :/. going to start again tomorrow only drinking optifast shakes and when I feel like I'm gonna cave I'll eat an optifast soup or bar. has anyone else caved in also but found great results when getting back on track?

That happened to me, especially at first. Talk to the program leaders about it-- you might need more protein or more shakes in a day. Good job getting back on track!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 1. Orange Vanilla shake was awesome! Chicken soup is a little weird...
  • RingLady929
    RingLady929 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had my first appointment at the beginning of June and my next will be at the end of June. I assume I'll be starting on the shakes then. I'm glad to see there are other UofMich Optifast users here, I want to see what I'm in for.
  • mishi6111
    mishi6111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Glad I found this discussion. I started the optifast program this past Wednesday. I was very active before starting but have had NO energy the past few days. Any tips to get over this issue?
    I am currently consuming 5 products a day for approximately 850 calories. (I do add spinach and kale to my soup.) As of this morning I am down 7.8 lbs with around 60 more to go. Although super excited by my results in just 3 days I am really struggling not to eat "real" food. Not sure I can sustain this food deprivation for more then 1 or 2 weeks maximum. Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also went from very active to sluggish after starting Optifast. My nutritionist said it can take up to 2 weeks to adjust. It took me that long, I felt tired with no energy. Now week 3 I've bounced back and feel pretty good. I'm doing 10k steps on my Fitbit. On the food side, after the first week I adjusted pretty well. I suggest adding diet pop or sugar free jello to the shakes and change the flavors up. I add bullion to the soups (5 cal cube) and lots of Mrs. Dash in various flavors. It's tough at first but stick it out and you'll see the weight drop quickly. Give your body time to adjust, it will :smiley:
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mcdermka wrote: »
    Can't emphasize it more....................there are lots of weight loss shakes and eating plans, but unfortunately they all work the same way................calorie deficit (with some at LARGE calorie deficits).
    If you don't intend to eat with Optifast the rest of you life, the chances of weight regain is usually going to happen.

I encourage you to save you money and utilize MFP's calorie counting system and learn how to change the way you eat for a LIFESTYLE change and not just a temporary change because of a large calorie deficit.

Doing this for more than 28 years, you can trust that I've seen practically every diet plan out there and know that statistically only about 10% of all users maintain after the diet plan. The other 90% regain weight back because they return to actually eating whole food again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Some of us have not been successful following a "traditional" diet. Some because of medical issues, injuries or disabilities that prevent exercise. Optifast is a way for us to lose the weight and feel better about ourselves. Apparently you do not know much about the program because it not only is a low calorie plan but we also attend sessions to learn about why we eat, how to make changes and nutrition, This program requires a minimum of 18 week commitment to lose and learn how to maintain. Not to mention the monthly maintenance that is on going forever.

I have medical/hormonal issues too..but I've managed to lose 70 pounds in less than 14 weeks eating regular food at a lower calorie /shrug

Edit: I had no idea I had commented on a three year old necro thread ;)

I am curious how the folks on the first three pages faired?
  • NewYorker2880
    NewYorker2880 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Today I started week 2 of optifast 800. I lost 8 pounds the first week! I am actually doing Optifast 960 instead of 800 (I just have 6 shakes a day instead of 5) because I work out a ton (boot camp 4 times a week, personal trainer twice a week, and a couple dance classes each week). I figured I need the extra 160 cal since I'm burning so much? Would you agree? Or do you think I should only do the 5 shakes/800 calories as the program suggests? I don't have a doctor to ask since I'm doing it on my own (I know that's bad). Thanks for any tips/help if there's anyone else out there working out a bunch while on this program! Oh side note, my trainers/coaches are the ones who suggested the 6 shakes instead of 5 but they're also not fans of this program haha.
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Today I started week 2 of optifast 800. I lost 8 pounds the first week! I am actually doing Optifast 960 instead of 800 (I just have 6 shakes a day instead of 5) because I work out a ton (boot camp 4 times a week, personal trainer twice a week, and a couple dance classes each week). I figured I need the extra 160 cal since I'm burning so much? Would you agree? Or do you think I should only do the 5 shakes/800 calories as the program suggests? I don't have a doctor to ask since I'm doing it on my own (I know that's bad). Thanks for any tips/help if there's anyone else out there working out a bunch while on this program! Oh side note, my trainers/coaches are the ones who suggested the 6 shakes instead of 5 but they're also not fans of this program haha.

Hi - Even without knowing anything about your weight, in my opinion you're doing way too much exercise for the amount of calories you are taking in. Even with the extra shake. Also when I did Optifast I was seen by a doctor weekly. had blood work done periodically, had nutritional counseling, etc. I was told to do light walking at most until I transitioned to partial food and started increasing my calories. I would be very careful!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

I don't think that's enough calories with zero exercise.
  • mishi6111
    mishi6111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also very very active. I am just starting week 2 at 800 calories. For the first week I lost 9 lbs but decreased my activity level significantly. I really could not see how you are going on with your full exercise routine and only consuming 960 calories. I am now getting back to normal which for me is hiking between 4-7 miles each day with running 3-4 days a week, spinning and some other aerobic classes. I feel great and have been given the green light to add a meal a day if I want but think I am going to stick with the fast for a little longer.

I have 2 major questions for you.....how did you get your hands on Optifast without a physician supervision? I had to have the blood work as others mentioned along with an EKG. This initial testing is also partnered with weekly physician or dietician appointments. The other question is didn't you feel horrible doing all that exercise the first couple of days? I think I would have been sick or passed out!!! But good for you if you were able to handle it.
  • Baratone3
    Baratone3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mishi6111 wrote: »
    I am also very very active. I am just starting week 2 at 800 calories. For the first week I lost 9 lbs but decreased my activity level significantly. I really could not see how you are going on with your full exercise routine and only consuming 960 calories. I am now getting back to normal which for me is hiking between 4-7 miles each day with running 3-4 days a week, spinning and some other aerobic classes. I feel great and have been given the green light to add a meal a day if I want but think I am going to stick with the fast for a little longer.

I have 2 major questions for you.....how did you get your hands on Optifast without a physician supervision? I had to have the blood work as others mentioned along with an EKG. This initial testing is also partnered with weekly physician or dietician appointments. The other question is didn't you feel horrible doing all that exercise the first couple of days? I think I would have been sick or passed out!!! But good for you if you were able to handle it.

You can order Optifast on Amazon or Ebay...
  • Baratone3
    Baratone3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried adding sugar free flavoring to the shake like capella?
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Options
    I have added Walden Farms syrups such as chocolate and strawberry to the shakes. It's delicious!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    mishi6111 wrote: »
    Hello all!

Glad I found this discussion. I started the optifast program this past Wednesday. I was very active before starting but have had NO energy the past few days. Any tips to get over this issue?
    I am currently consuming 5 products a day for approximately 850 calories. (I do add spinach and kale to my soup.) As of this morning I am down 7.8 lbs with around 60 more to go. Although super excited by my results in just 3 days I am really struggling not to eat "real" food. Not sure I can sustain this food deprivation for more then 1 or 2 weeks maximum. Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated!

My tip would be that you need to eat more. Or accept the fact that if you plan to continue such a minimal calorie intake then your body is going to prioritise those calories for the important functions like keeping your heart beating and your brain and organs functioning. And that's not going to leave very much for other stuff like feeling energetic.
    Are you doing this under medical supervision?
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    edited July 2016
    Options

If you are not medically supervised, you need to stop Optifast now before you do damage to your body! Your trainers should have advised you of this rather than simply not liking the program. My trainer is very aware of it and we've adjusted my workouts accordingly to get the best within my limitations.

You need to consult your physician, get bloodwork done to see what if any issues have arisen from your Optifast and go on a low calorie food based diet.

On Optifast your body chemistry changes very quickly on a VLCD. You can get gout, kidney stones, gallstones, heart issues and liver function issues if you are not following the plan EXACTLY as the physicians guide. You must drink 64 oz of water a day to keep your body flushed and heavy exercise is not recommended until after 3 weeks in the program to allow your body to adjust to the VLCD. Part of being on a physician monitored plan is the testing done up front to establish your BMR. I had a ton of blood work, Dexa scan, and resting calorimetry and I have biweekly bloodwork. I'm supervised by a board certified endocrinologist and dietician who I meet with weekly. Optifast is designed for people with high BMI and/or those preparing for gastric weight loss surgery who are under medical supervision. It is not a quick weight loss program for the casual user.