Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• palmercmp
    palmercmp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started optifast 800 through u of m weightloss 2 year study. I started on May 22, 2014 so far I am down 13 pounda I am going into my forth week. I weight in on July 1 hoping for at least 20 lbs. my dr wants me to exercise for 40 mins daily, take 5 shakes and drink 64 ounces of water. My hardest thing so far is drinking all the water. Constantly have to use the restroom lol. Starting weight was 236 I am down to 222 goal weight is 140. Feeling energetic stepped up my pace from walking to jogging alternating mostly walking. Hoping this increases my metabolism. Have a good day everyone!!!!
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 25 of Optifast 70 (420 calories per day). I have lost over 75 pounds as of now, and I'm doing it through a very extensive program that includes doctor supervision, group therapy classes and behavior modification. I'm finding this to be the most positive and insightful weigh loss experience of my life. I have about 35 pounds to go and will be starting to transition to food in a few weeks. There will be lots of guidance and support as I leave the fast. This program is over a year long.

I don't believe that any weight loss plan is incompatible with MFP. I log my shakes and all exercise daily (146 day streak!). My fitbit is synced. I plan to do MFP every day going forward, when I'm eating a variety of foods. Staying accountable, seeking support and keeping this journey at the forefront of my mind is my main strategy for lifelong success. I'll be continuing on a moderately low carb WOE only because it makes me feel better and I am sensitive to cravings caused by processed carbs.

I'll check in and let everyone know my progress, since I know many people are starting out. I wish everyone the very best with their approaches to health, whatever they may be. This one is saving my life so I couldn't be happier. I'm blogging my experience on optifastadventurer.blogspot.com.

Cheers,
    Christy
  • Flying_Joe
    Flying_Joe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And as another positive example to Christygb's, I'm almost at 5 months with Optifast (or almost done with 21 weeks) and have lost over 110 pounds now. Refreshingly for me, my clinic's focus isn't on the weight loss process but in preparing me for transitioning into a maintenance diet and having me confidently know that I can do it for the rest of my life - enjoying it all the way... So I get regular counselling now with my doctor, and when I do transition, then continued counselling but also weekly appointments with their dietitian who is also on MFP and so can review my eating habits and exercise directly and give me support/feedback directly!

I'm certainly looking forward to going to maintenance but I'm thankful for Optifast - simplifying weight loss for me and giving me the time to prepare myself and change myself enough to be ready for the next phase, likely in a couple more months...

I have my life back, and this helped me do it in a way I couldn't manage to do before - I just couldn't successfully change how I ate enough to lose, but that I can easily do now on my own. I already prepare some occasional meals for myself or eat out with friends and I know I can manage this right from here on out. :)
  • judibryan46
    judibryan46 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Amazing achievement! WTG!
  • judibryan46
    Options
    The way I look at Optifast (used it for about 2.5 months and then switched to a whole food plant based diet) is that it ADDRESSES A SYMPTOM (weight gain, obesity) RATHER THAN THE "DISEASE" (for lack of a better term) of unhealthy eating. It's much like when my doctor was telling me I'd be on blood pressure medication for the rest of my life because it was the "only way to reduce blood pressure". Fact is, I am OFF my blood pressure medicine and have mostly normal readings (they weren't always "normal" range even with my blood pressure medication).

The trick, I believed, was finding a HEALTHY, SUSTAINABLE, NUTRIENT RICH way of eating that would not sabotage my journey to a healthy weight. I had seen an amazing documentary a few months back...FORKS OVER KNIVES...and began reading and viewing everything I could find on the subjects brought up there. That information gave me the WHAT and WHY of eating well...getting toxins out of my system. But what I still needed was the HOW. I found www.ProtectiveDiet.com and it's changed my world. Now 3 months in to eating the way they teach, I'm still loosing weight (down 18 lbs since going off Optifast). The difference is...this is sustainable. It's eating without all the preservatives and gmos and added sugars (high fructose corn syrup) and focusing on veggies, beans, whole grains and fruit. In the beginning I thought this would be NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to do...I was a junk food addict. However, I've found it to be much easier, and definitely more gratifying, than I ever thought possible. Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!

Wish you success on your own journey!
  • judibryan46
    Options
    Christy! That's amazing! Look at you! You've got to be so proud of yourself! Way to go!!!
  • christygb
    Options
    Christy! That's amazing! Look at you! You've got to be so proud of yourself! Way to go!!!

Thanks Judi! I'm totally with you on the Forks Over Knives movie and the beauty of eating whole, healthy foods. I'm headed in that direction myself when I reach maintenance. Now that I'm starting fresh, free of the cravings brought on by processed foods/carbs, I don't want to go back there. I know what they did to my body and mind. Congratulations on your continued weight loss and most of all on your feeling of well being!
  • carolynab79
    Options
    I'm using the Optifast 800 plan, and it is medically supervised by a medical doctor whose specialty is Obesity. I was referred to him by my regular GP family doctor, both are Members of the Alexian Brothers Medical Group in Hoffman Estates,IL. This plan is designed to be only available to those undergoing medically supervised weight loss. I take exception to the post about it not addressing the disease. Through the supervision of the Dr. and the clinic it addresses all phases of what goes into a healthy eating lifestyle. It has group sessions that covers exercise, nutrition, lifestyle changes, psychological issues dealing with why people overeat. It truly is a complete program. They have a psychologist, nutritionist/dietician, and a fitness expert who leads weekly classes and addresses transitioning to regular food. Every 4 weeks you have a complete blood panel and meet with the Doctor. While it is extreme it is also effective. As other posters made the comment about no matter how you lose the weight, you still have to learn how to eat so you don't gain everything back. I suppose that if someone buys their products on eBay or elsewhere, they are cheating themselves and it probably won't work for them. It's not a miracle, it's a means to a healthier life if used as intended. Everyone is different and has to find what works for them. I've lost 88lbs since November 1st, I'm currently transitioning to the trim plan, and still losing 2-3 lbs a week. One more thing...if you have a Dr. that tells you the only way to lower your blood pressure is with medication....(if you're obese) find a new Doctor.
  • christygb
    Options
    I'm using the Optifast 800 plan, and it is medically supervised by a medical doctor whose specialty is Obesity. I was referred to him by my regular GP family doctor, both are Members of the Alexian Brothers Medical Group in Hoffman Estates,IL. This plan is designed to be only available to those undergoing medically supervised weight loss. I take exception to the post about it not addressing the disease. Through the supervision of the Dr. and the clinic it addresses all phases of what goes into a healthy eating lifestyle. It has group sessions that covers exercise, nutrition, lifestyle changes, psychological issues dealing with why people overeat. It truly is a complete program. They have a psychologist, nutritionist/dietician, and a fitness expert who leads weekly classes and addresses transitioning to regular food. Every 4 weeks you have a complete blood panel and meet with the Doctor. While it is extreme it is also effective. As other posters made the comment about no matter how you lose the weight, you still have to learn how to eat so you don't gain everything back. I suppose that if someone buys their products on eBay or elsewhere, they are cheating themselves and it probably won't work for them. It's not a miracle, it's a means to a healthier life if used as intended. Everyone is different and has to find what works for them. I've lost 88lbs since November 1st, I'm currently transitioning to the trim plan, and still losing 2-3 lbs a week. One more thing...if you have a Dr. that tells you the only way to lower your blood pressure is with medication....(if you're obese) find a new Doctor.

Congratulations Carolyn! Well said!
  • p8triotsfan
    p8triotsfan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - just saw your note and thought I'd tell you my Optifast story. Did it through a hospital group and lost 59 pounds in 4.5 months. Did the shakes for 2 meals and 1200 calories (or whatever the meal plan said we had to weigh everything) for one meal. I kept it off for 5 months, but then it started creeping up on me as I kept eating regular food. I wasn't counting calories and had knee surgery so couldn't exercise. In a year I had gained back about 30 pounds - in 2 years 40 pounds, but I exercise regularly. I'm thinking of having a shake for one meal now, but using MFP along with that and keeping up with my Zumba and walking. With MFP alone I lost 15 lbs in 3 months prior to going on vacation last year, but 10 lbs creeped on again. It's a constant battle that I've been waging since puberty and I'm now 69 years old. I'm OK with my size 18, but know it would be better for my 2 replacement knees to take off that 40 lbs again (I probably should take off about 60, but lets' be at least a little realistic). When I did the Optifast the staff said that 1/3 of the people kept all the weight off, 1/3 gained half or more back and 1/3 gained it all back and more. Some of the people in my group were there for the 2nd or 3rd time. All I'm saying is that it's a great way to kick start your weight loss, but be ready to either use MFP and count calories as well as exercise when your through, or gain alot of it back. Good luck to you!!!
  • lighterlemur
    Options
    Just dropping by to report in.

I did the Australian forum on intensive phase for around 10 weeks from Jan 2014. (3 meal replacements plus 2-4 cups on non starch vegetables plus oil). I lost 15 kilos which is around 33 pounds. Way more energy , blood pressure dropped as did blood glucose.

I then maintained on regular food for three months (combined with some gym work and walking). I did not have trouble maintaining.

I am now back for another round. I suspect I will end up doing it in three steps and maintaining in between.

I have been converted from being very anti shake diets (well diets of any kind really) to being a full convert. I don't have an eating disorder though and I don't think it would be great if you binge eat as I think it would trigger it.

For those newbies hunger goes away after around 3 days and your energy should also return at that point. At that point your body becomes more efficient at using fat rather than glucose for fuel.

Best of luck everyone.
  • dotcomee
    dotcomee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This thread is so long not sure if anybody will read this but figured I'd share.

My father went on Optifast several times. Each time he gained the weight back after going off the program. He felt great while he was on it, and like others have said, he got used to not eating real food after a few days.

Having seen it in action first hand I wouldn't recommend it to anybody really. It's not teaching you how to eat for what your body needs. Yeah, you will lose weight (of course, it's a structured meal replacement). If you enforce similar structure in your own cooking, you can get the same results long term and still eat foods you enjoy.
  • lighterlemur
    Options
    I am sorry your father did not have success maintaining. Did he do it under medical supervision with a dietitian or just do it on his own? Did he gradually transition as per the program (gradually replacing each meal replacement with real food).

Maintenance is hard for many people. It won't be successful if people return to old eating habits.
  • christygb
    Options
    Just checking back in. Still doing very well and feeling great. I'll be slowly transitioning back to food soon, and look forward to this next part of the experience. I'm blessed that my Optifast program offers/requires several phases of the program so that we not only lose the weight and accompanying medical conditions, but also engage in behavior modification and weight maintenance support groups. For most people, it takes a year or more to go through our program, and then there is on-going support for food addiction and emotional eating. I think many of us who were morbidly obese struggle with this and will need ongoing support. I will.

Most of the "repeaters" in my classes did not complete the program fully in previous attempts, but I think it's terrific that they learned the value of group support and behavior modification and came back. Some people can lose weight by learning to cook healthy meals and log on MFP. This is certainly how I'm going to be maintaining my weight loss. I'm sure there will be ups and downs with weight maintenance. But I'm forever grateful that I went through this program at a time when the amount of weight I needed to lose made me feel hopeless and paralyzed. It was a lifesaver for me.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    This thread is so long not sure if anybody will read this but figured I'd share.

My father went on Optifast several times. Each time he gained the weight back after going off the program. He felt great while he was on it, and like others have said, he got used to not eating real food after a few days.

Having seen it in action first hand I wouldn't recommend it to anybody really. It's not teaching you how to eat for what your body needs. Yeah, you will lose weight (of course, it's a structured meal replacement). If you enforce similar structure in your own cooking, you can get the same results long term and still eat foods you enjoy.

^^This. Just learn to feed yourself instead of relying on some company to tell you how much to eat. It really isn't that hard, and you will create life-long habits that you can continue forever. No one wants to pay a fortune to be on these shakes the rest of their lives.
  • walkingforlunch
    Options
    People who only follow the shake and supplement portion of the program will NEVER have successful weight loss. And if that is all people think the program is about, they are sorely mistaken. As I told my doctor today, the shakes are the easy part. The real work starts when you transition.

I am on Optifast and I am fully aware that the endgame is to eat healthier. That is why I have check-ins with my doctor to discuss overall health as well as realistic expectations on the program. There is also a nutritionist who helps with the transition to regular food, so you are eating regular food. You are learning to eat more nutritional foods and having better portion sizes. Sometimes it is better to start from 'zero' and Optifast can be the reboot that people need. The important thing is not to get caught up in the loss from the shakes because that's only temporary if you go back to the same habits that got you there in the first place.

Bless those who don't need any assistance for a weight loss boost due to an immediate health issue (as I do). I've usually read mostly negative things about VLCDs on here and really, I'm not bothered. Nobody else has to walk this journey in my shoes, so it's up to me to do what I feel is best. Hopefully everyone is able to do what it is that works best for them.

I wish everyone the best and I hope that you all acquire the results that you desire.
  • pickled_beats
    pickled_beats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to MFP and am 27 weeks into an 82 week medically supervised weight program that began with 17 weeks of Optifast, followed by 6 weeks of transition. I am surprised by the amount of either/or commentary on this thread (Either Optifast or mindful eating) since my program is definitely a both/and experience! (Both Optifast and mindful eating, that is).

For my 23 weeks that were either wholly or partially Optifast, it was invaluable for me to learn that I could really survive and thrive on 6 very small portions per day -- and that finishing a 'meal' and still feeling a bit unsatisfied wouldn't kill me, especially since another meal was only 3 hours away! As soon as I finished the 6 week transition I completely eliminated the Optifast products and have been eating 6 'clean' meals per day -- lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, very lean and lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains -- no bread, no sugar, no white rice... as little refined food as possible. I track all of my food and exercise and benefit tremendously from the weekly support group and readings that are part of my program. This all feels quite sustainable to me (not that I am naive, as I understand -- and have experienced -- the ease with which we regain weight). The early rapid weight loss was motivating, but I was never deceived into thinking that it was magic -- the coach made it clear that Optifast was the easy part, and the following year of maintenance would be the real challenge. I feel like this program continues to prepare me for that challenge.

I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with my Optifast program and am very pleased with the 60 pounds I have lost. My BMI is now 22.9 (down from 31.9), my cholesterol has lowered and I feel great.
  • Flying_Joe
    Flying_Joe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nice comments above (@walkingforfun, @pickled_beats and @alyssakd2012, for example).

Not sure why people keep harping on those who put weight back on as if the Optifast program had anything to do with it, it is like with any other program, that losing weight is not what this is all about, it is when you are in Maintenance that the work and effort is needed. Those that focus mainly on weight loss are the ones at risk to relapse.

With Optifast, my doctor and nutritionist have been nothing but crystal clear that the losing part is the 'easy' part. Their efforts are entirely with helping me with Maintenance, just as it should be.

And what 'expensive shakes' are people referring to? This costs me about the same as it would if I were buying my own food and eating out as I used to, so this program is completely free for me when you get down to it - as compared to normal extra costs with other programs, like with Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Herbalife, Dr. Bernstein, etc.

MFP and journaling, regular physical activity, eating well and the critical ongoing counselling with my doctor and support with my nutritionist are what will help me as I move forward maintaining my healthy weight. I'm surprised at how straightforward it has all been for me, thanks to using the Optifast approach... I am so thankful!
  • lighterlemur
    Options
    Pickled beats thank you for sharing your journey. I am pleased to hear its going so well.

I am also into mindful eating but I think due to insulin resistance the weight was just not shifting. Optifast did which I am very thankful for. It has been a great tool.

I am moving down in steps in the hope that will create new set weights on the way down. So far so good. 44 pounds down in two steps. Just started step three. Maintaining has continued to be easy.
  • tiaqueta
    tiaqueta Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started and I am on day 6. I feel exercise is a big part of Optifast , and I felt I needed a kick start . It definitely has me thinking about how I use to eat and what I need to do in the future to be successful in my new lifestyle change. I am feeling very positive and would like to talk to like minded people.