Lost 100 pounds in 6 months... many progress pics!

Options
tyler
tyler Posts: 33 Member
Hey guys... I'm that guy from 344 Pounds. I've been apart of the MFP community for years, but haven't had much time to post in the actual forums as much as I'd like. I'm more active on FB and in my account (myfitnesspal.com/tyler). Anyway:

Quick before/after side by side: http://imgur.com/qcV6W
Many more progress pics: http://www.344pounds.com/pictures/

Starting weight: 344.2
Current weight: About 205
Height: 6'1"
Starting age: 23

I lost a little over 100 pounds in the first six months of losing weight. My weight loss slowed as I put more of an emphasis on weight lifting, but my appearance improved, so I didn't care rely as much on what the scale was telling me -- I looked to my mirror instead. It took about a 15 months to lose a total of 134 pounds.

I understand there are a many loyalists to all kinds of fads and diet/lifestyle "programs." It's cool if you're into one of those, but they're just not for me. I still enjoy eating normal foods like cheeseburgers, Chinese, BBQ, Mexican, sweet tea, soda, hot wings, etc. I don't have a list of foods I have to eat, nor do I have list of foods I can't eat. I try to eat higher in calorie foods and drinks in moderation.

As far as burning calories, I like to stay relatively active by hitting the gym 4-5 days week for about 45 minutes a day and being physical outside of the gym. I like to burn calories by playing the Kinect, shooting hoops, jumping on our trampoline (I'm 27 and just bought one, don't judge).

That's it. It's simple and sustainable, which is how I've been able to keep the weight off for a few years as of this January. I had never lost any amount of weight prior to this 135-pound weight loss.

Simple calorie counting and moderation works.

Replies

• tyler
    Options
    Also, I'll be around most of the day to answer any questions!
  • RainbowBrightww23
    RainbowBrightww23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Posts like these help with my (already flagging) "New Years Resolution" motivation.
  • tyler
    Options
    They motivate me, too! This is the time when a bunch of the New Year's Resolutioners stop going to the gym -- I'd love to see the gym PACKED all year round. I'd do anything to prevent people leaving.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Super fantastic. I'm so happy for your future self who will live longer and better. Congratulations.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I love imgur comments. Made my day
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wow congrats. 100 pounds is amazing! you can eat cheeseburgers and still loose weight? I didn't know that...I took that out of my diet. :'(
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi Tyler! I know you from your site and your forum community. Haven't posted there much since I lost the majority of my weight. I am eating Paleo right now but I subscribed to the counting calorie theory for a very long time and its worked!!! Like you I am concentrating on weight training - feel much better and I am smaller at a higher weight when I am doing it religiously. For the next two months I am trying to get off the 15 lbs I have left to lose that doesn't want to budge, so I am doing more cardio than normal. Striving for two a days a few days a week until the weight is gone.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow...it doesn't look like the same person. 100lbs in 6 months is just staggering :noway:
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Great Success story. I would like a trampoline but I would probably end up in traction. HAHAHA
  • MissTD
    MissTD Posts: 40
    Options
    Amazing job! Hard wrk pays off.
  • tyler
    Options
    @craignev -- in fairness, it was just my starting weight... I probably went from 5,000+ calories a day to eating around 2,000. I wasn't starving myself by any means, but I was just getting a lot less calories than I was accustomed to getting and my body responded favorably to the rapid change in calories.
  • TempoChiarisce26
    Options
    Wow! Your progress is amazing! So happy for you....you look great!
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    MurderMeSomeFat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Did you have a ton of excess skin? If yes, what did/are you going to do about it. I have lost 63 and have about 50 to go but I am already hating the skin...!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    holy, hot.
  • tyler
    Options
    @Rockawaybulld:

I have loose skin on my stomach. Nothing works to get rid of it -- creams, potions, whatever, all scams. I also had loose skin around my armpits (as does everyone who loses a lot of weight), but I've been able to add muscle in that area and eliminate most of that.

Exhibit A:

http://www.344pounds.com/2012/12/weigh-in-results-week-202/

I don't really let the loose skin bother me. I'd rather have a little bit of loose skin than 100+ extra pounds to carry around. So, I'll deal with it.
  • tyler
    Options
    @kellyewhite

Best Joey impression: How you doin'?
  • mmahair
    mmahair Posts: 34
    Options
    Incredible, great job!
  • tyler
    Options
    @mmahair - THANK YOU! :)
  • neverlost
    neverlost Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Looking great, congrats on your loss. Very inspirational.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    fantastic work!! this is mindblowing:noway:
    i am sure you didn't experience much cravings in the first 6 months but as you starting eating at maintenance you must have started getting them regularly.What did you do to get rid of the hunger pangs then?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!