A Sad Realization.

Options

Replies

• xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I dont know maybe the part where she said you wont look good naked and would be a squishy lump.

I'm pretty sure she was referring to being "Skinny-fat."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Pretty much OP's experience was my life story. Would I have maintained as much muscle mass as I would have liked anyway? Probably not, but I sure as hell wouldn't have been as skinny fat. :(
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Missed this first time round so bumping as everyone starting out should read this cautionary tale. To OP, sorry you had to learn the hard way, I hope your experience can help others not to fall into the same trap. I have a lot of years of muscle repairing ahead of me too.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes the "cardio, cardio, cardio" contributed to excessive lean mass loss but SOME lean mass loss is normal... Maybe not that normal but normal, none-the-less. Now that you are at a healthy weight, increase your intake and lift... This will actually help you build lean body mass quicker... Best wishes on achieving what you want... BTW... 23% BF for a woman is not bad... not bad at all.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. I'm 5'4 3/4 120lbs 25% BF. I was 185 in the beginning, dk bf % thn tho. But I'm squishy & skinny fat now. I did the 1200 thing & cardio to make me this way. I hope ppl listen to this.
  • LeshayeSimone
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me, but the worst was, I was already warned that starving my body would make me lose muscle not fat. But all i cared about was being skinny, that was literally all that was on my mind. Now I am bigger than I started off as, and now need to get used to larger portion sizes, rebuild my metabolism and start again the healthy way. You aren't alone.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The first time I weighed myself at my heaviest, I was 180lbs, 35%bf.

I lost the weight, but I did it the stupid way - cardio, cardio, cardio, more cardio, and eating - total, not net - between 500 and 1500 calories per day, depending on how idiotic I was being at the time.

Current stats - 117 pounds, 23%bf.

This means I went from having 117lbs of lean mass to having just 90. I lost 27 pounds of muscle being an idiot.

Now I have the difficult task ahead of putting muscle back on, when it probably would have been 1000 times easier to preserve what I had and lose the fat more slowly and sensibly.

Take this as a cautionary tale. If you lose weight stupidly, it doesn't matter how much you lose, you won't look good naked, you won't be strong, and you'll have a hell of a lot more work ahead of you after reaching your goal weight once you realize that you are a pathetic pile of skinny-fat squish.

I'm so glad you posted, it's a good reminder to those that know and those that don't realize this yet.

I do both currently, though my brain continues that annoying loop of telling me cardio will get the fat/weight off faster. I've known it's vital to do for our bodies to be fit and strong but being reminded of the whys is never a bad thing and in fact really helpful.

I see soooo many posts saying STOP DOING CARDIO:angry: !
    Finally one that explains and shares WHY we should be more aware of what only doing cardio can leave us with..

SO glad you shared the details so we're reminded and can learn and go from there.:drinker:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. Cardio, cardio, cardio. I know I should lift... But I'm scared to, I think.

I hear this all the time! Don't be scared! I promise, you'll love it, and love how you feel! Start slow. I prefer to go to a gym, and do the machines, but I also do the dumbells at home. When I started, I didn't even count, I just did what I could, and went to the next machine. Try to do 30sec's to a minute, if you can. Lower weights is more for toning, which is great. Higher weights more for muscle building. Either one is great. I try to do a little of both. I know, I'm not that muscular yet, but I'm pretty good for a girl. :) I'm really not trying to be very muscular. I'm shooting for Cameron Diaz arms...lol. She's awesome! I love her arms!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I also wish that women would realize that muscle increases metabolism!!! Higher metabolism, the more you can eat, and still lose weight!!! Also, building muscle does not bulk you up, it will replace the fat, and you will lose inches! It may discourage you at first, when you don't see the scale move for a week or two, but make sure you measure! Inches lost is way better than lb's lost! ANY DAY! :D
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    good thread to bump
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I used to lose weight old school, living mostly off of coffee and cigarettes during my work days.

Don't you feel much smarter now??

:flowerforyou:

We all live and learn, eh? Better late than never. :smile:
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me, but the worst was, I was already warned that starving my body would make me lose muscle not fat. But all i cared about was being skinny, that was literally all that was on my mind. Now I am bigger than I started off as, and now need to get used to larger portion sizes, rebuild my metabolism and start again the healthy way. You aren't alone.

I know what you mean about getting "used" to larger portion sizes.
  • DivineDee
    Options
    I'm glad that I read this. I started out doing mostly strength training. Then I started doing all cardio and no strength training. Lately, due to some medical issues I haven't been doing either. But, when I start back I'm going to be doing a balance of cardio and strength training. I really do need to tighten-up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just a note to people who think that cardio alone should be just fine:

If you're losing weight through cardio, that's fine, but at the same time, you're also reducing the resistance on muscle. When muscle isn't needed or used, it atrophies (gets smaller). This is why lots of cardio only weight loss results in "soft and flabby" feel to the body.
    You don't need to lift like a powerlifter or body builder to encourage lean muscle retention. Just having some good resistance training will help to retain that lean muscle and help keep it "hard".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for passing on this information to others.:drinker:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    this! kudos to you Op
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just a note to people who think that cardio alone should be just fine:

If you're losing weight through cardio, that's fine, but at the same time, you're also reducing the resistance on muscle. When muscle isn't needed or used, it atrophies (gets smaller). This is why lots of cardio only weight loss results in "soft and flabby" feel to the body.
    You don't need to lift like a powerlifter or body builder to encourage lean muscle retention. Just having some good resistance training will help to retain that lean muscle and help keep it "hard".

IDEA Fitness member

How long does it take for muscle to atrophy? I've had to take almost three weeks off. Was not at optimal bf ratio even when I left off.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    How long does it take for muscle to atrophy? I've had to take almost three weeks off. Was not at optimal bf ratio even when I left off.
    There's really no "general" consensus that I know of since genetics plays a large part. The barrel chested guy who never lifts a weight will probably retain muscle longer than one who started as an ectomorph and put on some muscle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this. I am lifting and doing circuit training. I have heard the term skinny fat a couple times now. I have seen the fat leave everywhere except the top of my thighs and my stomach. I hope someone can help me. I'm doing all the arm and leg machines 3 times a week and circuit training the other 3 days. On the days I do circuit training I do atleast 45 minutes of cardio. I know some people will say this is good and then other people will say I'm doing it wrong. Please just help me. I'm trying so hard I don't want to fail. Thank you
  • dietingdanni
    Options
    How does swimming tie in with this cardio resistance training balance? i know its not as good as just weight resistance but thethe water provides resistance that a running machine doesn't?