A Sad Realization.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    How long does it take for muscle to atrophy? I've had to take almost three weeks off. Was not at optimal bf ratio even when I left off.
    There's really no "general" consensus that I know of since genetics plays a large part. The barrel chested guy who never lifts a weight will probably retain muscle longer than one who started as an ectomorph and put on some muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this. I am lifting and doing circuit training. I have heard the term skinny fat a couple times now. I have seen the fat leave everywhere except the top of my thighs and my stomach. I hope someone can help me. I'm doing all the arm and leg machines 3 times a week and circuit training the other 3 days. On the days I do circuit training I do atleast 45 minutes of cardio. I know some people will say this is good and then other people will say I'm doing it wrong. Please just help me. I'm trying so hard I don't want to fail. Thank you

If you are looking to lose fat, its all about a caloric deficit with strength training to maintain muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How does swimming tie in with this cardio resistance training balance? i know its not as good as just weight resistance but thethe water provides resistance that a running machine doesn't?

Swimming has some resistance, but it will quickly become ineffective in maintaining muscle mass, especially on a deficit. Muscle needs constant stimulus to maintain/grow, which means increasing the resistance which has a limited potential with swimming.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    How does swimming tie in with this cardio resistance training balance? i know its not as good as just weight resistance but thethe water provides resistance that a running machine doesn't?
    Depends on how fast you swim. The harder you push, the harder the resistance. The easier you go, then it's obviously not as hard.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I think everyone should read it. More muscle means more food and who wants to eat like a bird?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Swimming has some resistance, but it will quickly become ineffective in maintaining muscle mass, especially on a deficit. Muscle needs constant stimulus to maintain/grow, which means increasing the resistance which has a limited potential with swimming.

Yes, that is why I added weight training to my exercise program. I started with water exercise but, while water exercise is enjoyable and good for cardio, it isn't particularly good for maintaining and building muscle mass (unless your muscles are severely wasted, like mine were, and it will help build them up from that state). To progress to a higher level of fitness, weight training is essential.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for posting this and it will hopefully help someone else. You've been given lot's of great info on how to proceed so you don't need more from me. It'll take some work but you'll get there. If someone learned the importance of preserving as much lean mass as possible while losing fat from your efforts then you will have provided an awesome service! :flowerforyou:
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I was in college by doing just cardio but I was still unhappy with my body.

Now that I have had children, I'm losing my extra fat by incorporating strength training and I am liking my body a LOT more now! I used to think that cardio was all I should be doing, not any more.

My body fat percentage is currently 22% (aiming for lower) and I started at 36%.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    How long does it take for muscle to atrophy? I've had to take almost three weeks off. Was not at optimal bf ratio even when I left off.
    There's really no "general" consensus that I know of since genetics plays a large part. The barrel chested guy who never lifts a weight will probably retain muscle longer than one who started as an ectomorph and put on some muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

Very true, this. I know a woman who works VERY hard to keep muscle on. She is tall and tends to be very thin. She's a paramedic and lives in a summer resort wilderness area where they do a lot of rescue work. She needs muscle even to do her job. She claims that she can tell if she misses any part of her regular lifting routine and, if she misses a week, all of the people she works with can tell. I know another woman who has a lot of muscle packed on her frame just by her genetic inheritance and she can lay off the weights for a week or two and claims that she can come right back to it without feeling like she has lost anything
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    OP, thanks for posting this and it will hopefully help someone else. You've been given lot's of great info on how to proceed so you don't need more from me. It'll take some work but you'll get there. If someone learned the importance of preserving as much lean mass as possible while losing fat from your efforts then you will have provided an awesome service! :flowerforyou:

Yep.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post. I read so much junk on the boards this is truly a diamond of a read here. This should be a sticky.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I was lucky I 'only' lost 4-5 lbs of muscle, but it still sucks.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. Cardio, cardio, cardio. I know I should lift... But I'm scared to, I think.

Don't be afraid. Any celebrity or model who has a body you envy lifts heavy weights. Unless you take massive amounts of androgenic steriods, you're not going to bulk up and look masculine. Just hot.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Glad this got bumped back up from last new years. Some good reading!