fast food

Options

Replies

• sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    What makes a 500 calorie salad bad for you?

^^ This!

If that is all I'm having for my meal, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You people. lol.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My "chicken taco salad"

6 oz grilled chicken in olive oil
    5 crunched tostitos
    2 cups sweet butter lettuce
    1/4 cup four mexican cheese
    1/2 cup black beans
    1/2 small avocado
    2 tbsp sour cream
    1/2 cup corn

~600-700 calories

Steak and blue cheese salad
    5 oz sirloin
    1/4 cup blue cheese
    2 tbsp ranch
    2 tbsp croutons
    1/5 onion
    1/2 cup broccoli
    2 cups romaine lettuce

~500-600 calories.

All of my salads that I eat for a complete meal run between 400-700 calories actually mainly because I love adding eggs, chick peas, and all sorts of other yummy fresh foods.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Said way better then i did. I guess if i had posted it more like that i wouldn't be getting hated on so much.

Fast food is poison.

Lol, you're eating the same food at chain restaurants! You're just paying for more service!

And honestly, most food in general today is poison. Look at the amount of crap and chemicals that are loaded in any given "low-calorie" or "diet" food. You could argue that most things many people (myself included) eat today could hardly be called "food" at all.
    Just sayin'.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to start a thread running down people who eat clean. Gah, they're so healthy and boring. I wish I had the slightest desire to be healthier than I used to be.

Jk. Eating clean would be very beneficial. Kudos to those who do!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Said way better then i did. I guess if i had posted it more like that i wouldn't be getting hated on so much.

Fast food is poison.

Lol, you're eating the same food at chain restaurants! You're just paying for more service!

And honestly, most food in general today is poison. Look at the amount of crap and chemicals that are loaded in any given "low-calorie" or "diet" food. You could argue that most things many people (myself included) eat today could hardly be called "food" at all.
    Just sayin'.

And OP says she doesn't even track alcohol because she drinks so much/enjoys it...

There's no disputing what alcohol is ;)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

^^ This!

If that is all I'm having for my meal, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

unless the dressing is made from all sorts of nasty fatty chemicals and the chicken is breaded and fried....... like most fast food salads...

also, the lettuce they use is usually iceberg which has no nutritional value, so a 500 cal salad is not just inherently good for you. Within your macros? Yes. Healthy? Not always.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    I hate to say this but it tastes good. Maybe it tastes really good to me because I've been fed junk food ever since I was a little girl and my taste buds are used to it. Yesterday I devoured a lot of Mc Donalds and Burger King because I was going through one of my emotional eating binge episodes. I know that it's totally unhealthy, but I still do it anyway. I made a vow to stop because those foods are literally like drugs!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

^^ This!

unless the dressing is made from all sorts of nasty fatty chemicals and the chicken is breaded and fried....... like most fast food salads...

also, the lettuce they use is usually iceberg which has no nutritional value, so a 500 cal salad is not just inherently good for you. Within your macros? Yes. Healthy? Not always.

I think they're not going after the "fast food" mentality but the "high calorie salad being bad mentality"; obviously, as people have pointed out already, you can load a darker leaf salad (romaine, spinach, kale, arugula, etc.) with lean meats, olive oil, etc., and easily reach 500 calories or more.

I think that reoccurring argument in this thread is from the OP still under the impression that "salad = low cal... low cal = healthy?" and others pushing back with "waitmainute..."
  • Chicprin1
    Options
    I love love love fast food! I honestly can't express how much I really do love it! Mc Donalds, Wendy's, Carls Jr, Taco Bell, Del Taco, KFC, Chipotle, Jack in the Box, Burger King! I think you all get the picture. :-) Sad to say -admit- but because of this my children love it too. Where we live, you can't drive any where without passing by at least 4 fast food places. I tell ya, it's hard for me to not get a burger or a chalupa. But I have to remember it is how I got here and I also want to stop my kids craving for it so they don't struggle with health issues when they are older or anytime soon for that matter.

I don't see any harm in having a garden salad though. :-)

Haha, my Husband and I were just talking this morning about how fast food, or food in general, commercials should be against the law. LOL
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually ate at Mickeyd's today. First time since August. It tasted like real beef to me, but again, I live in France, and maybe McDonalds is worse in the US. I barely ate a part of the bun, though. I also only had the burger, not the fries or coke.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I actually ate at Mickeyd's today. First time since August. It tasted like real beef to me, but again, I live in France, and maybe McDonalds is worse in the US. I barely ate a part of the bun, though.
    Royale avec du fromage, nice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like Arby's and Subway.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lol.

don't eat at chain restaurants. the tgi thing was my son went to the store picked it out and cooked it for me when I was sick and no pizza hut. makes me sick. went to a mom and pops pizza place where they make everything and just tracked a high calorie slice of pizza. yea.. i'll never go to arbies again first and last time. ate about half a sandwich.. french dip i think and I was sick from it. Chinese food. I order a pint of something and it lasts me 3 meals. that's my boyfriends vice.. not mine, but i eat it with him.

I'm looking at the *health* of it.. not the calories. The 500 calorie salad isn't 500 calories because it's loaded with healthy stuff. It's loaded with garbage and chemicals and that's the reason you can't lose weight. not because of it's calorie content. I'm usually looking for higher calorie stuff, because I don't eat enough, that's why i track everything. I find it funny that people say oh i can't lose weight and i feel so crappy, then they go hit a drive though. Everyone knows how bad it is for you.. then why do it and if you do it why complain ?

Just because you have enough calories saved up to eat something so bad for you doesn't make it right or good. Food, especially fast food, is so chock full of crap. It does make me mad, and I can't understand why people defend it.

Subway makes me sick too.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Weird, you had Pizza Hut Sausage and Pepperoni a few days ago. They have a drive through - so isn't that fast food? Get over yourself.

Taco Bell > Pizza Hut

Please don't eat Pizza Hut then complain about the quality of Taco Bell. It just makes you look bad.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    ^^^^

no guilt here eating that stuff.. love it!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    ^^^^

no guilt here eating that stuff.. love it!

Yeah, me either. There's nothing so joyous as an Arby's roast beef with three-pepper sauce after a long day of shopping! I love, love, love Arby's!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    lol.

don't eat at chain restaurants. the tgi thing was my son went to the store picked it out and cooked it for me when I was sick and no pizza hut. makes me sick. went to a mom and pops pizza place where they make everything and just tracked a high calorie slice of pizza. yea.. i'll never go to arbies again first and last time. ate about half a sandwich.. french dip i think and I was sick from it. Chinese food. I order a pint of something and it lasts me 3 meals. that's my boyfriends vice.. not mine, but i eat it with him.

I'm looking at the *health* of it.. not the calories. The 500 calorie salad isn't 500 calories because it's loaded with healthy stuff. It's loaded with garbage and chemicals and that's the reason you can't lose weight. not because of it's calorie content. I'm usually looking for higher calorie stuff, because I don't eat enough, that's why i track everything. I find it funny that people say oh i can't lose weight and i feel so crappy, then they go hit a drive though. Everyone knows how bad it is for you.. then why do it and if you do it why complain ?

Just because you have enough calories saved up to eat something so bad for you doesn't make it right or good. Food, especially fast food, is so chock full of crap. It does make me mad, and I can't understand why people defend it.

Subway makes me sick too.

Fast food is fast food whether it is an independant place or a mom and pop place.

Don't come on here critizing people for eating fast food when you do it to.Sure, you "didn't eat it all" but you went there... you ate there. ANd it doesn't matter who decides to go... if you were so against fast food you wouldn't have gone to anychinese place, pizza place, etc. We all know fast food is bad... however depending on your choices fast food can be part of a healthy diet.

A 500 calorie salad can be quite healthy. A burger and fries can be part of a healthy diet.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food for a long time either but I WANT TO.. OMG I LOVE the taste. It's MADE TO TASTE GOOD. If you don't think it tastes good then you're sooooo fortunate. And I'm a foodie.. I like ALL kinds of foods, but there's something about fast food that's magical.

You want to know "how can people eat that"? To me, it tastes like food... only 10X BETTER. Seriously McDonalds Filet o' fish and an order or fries. YUM.. Steak egg and cheese bagel and hash browns you say? OK, sign me up. Wendy's jr. bacon cheese burger? Yeah, what the hell I'll take two. The food is engineered to be more enticing than regular food. I love it and I want it in my belly. I WISH I could be all virtuous and be like "eww, that's so greasy and disgusting, it's not even real food" but nope, It pretty much looks pretty damn TASTY to me... and I haven't had a bite of it in more than 6 months.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You are so right; fast food is just awful!
    And that is why I only indulge 3 or 4 times every week.
    Every bite...terrible...and fabulous :smokin:
    Anyway, life is to be lived.
    Suit yourself if you don't want any.......more for me!