Focused on Fitness: Daily Check-In Group

Options

Replies

• kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Larry do you have to rest every other day with your program. Couch25K makes you take a day off in between. It's probably a good idea for me, but I wondered if this was standard.
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Larry do you have to rest every other day with your program. Couch25K makes you take a day off in between. It's probably a good idea for me, but I wondered if this was standard.

No, that is one of the big differences between the RW program and C25K. With RW there is just one rest day per week, but ever other day you just walk. So out of seven days, there are four days where you alternate running and walking, two days of just walking and one day of rest. I think I can guess why C25K includes so many rest days but I personally think there are too many rest days with that program. Most running coaches do not prescribe more than 2 days of rest in seven days even for beginning runners and one day is actually more common. The key to any running program is alternating a hard day with an easy day which allows muscle fibers to heal and get stronger allowing a person to improve, run farther and avoid injuries. I think the RW program accomplishes that very efficiently.
  • kalmf
    Options
    That sounds good. I think I'll walk on the off days. Thanks
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

I never intended to take a rest day exactly even though my RW 8-week program called for it today. I was planning a leisurely 30 minute walk instead. Yet less than 8 minutes into my walk I was feeling good and strong and it was a spectacular, sunshiny and warm Texas spring day so I decided to eschew the walking plan and instead jumped ahead to Day 1, Week 3 of my run/walk program. I alternated 5 minutes of running with 1 minute of walking, x 5. I finished up with a 3 minute walking cool down to total 25 minutes of running and 10 minutes of walking. I wore my Polar HRM monitor for the first time since starting to exercise again and my total calorie burn was 555.

I have an admission to make. I’ve been known to be a little obsessive when it comes to running. :) Perhaps it comes from being a little too competitive for my own good. Cerebrally I understand it would be better to be patient and just stick with my program schedule. But as I slowly but surely get fitter and lighter I find myself wanting to push it. I enjoyed the hard workout today but while I was walking the cool down I burst out laughing thinking to myself that there was a time when I never felt as fatigued from running as I did at the end of my last 5 minute running repeat until somewhere between mile 22 and 23 of a 26.2 marathon. My! How things have changed! :) Still, I’m confident I will see those days again.
  • kalmf
    Options
    Okay. But those rest days are there for a reason, don't push it and injure yourself.

(I think I was channeling your mother there- but someone needs to say it!)
  • ldarter
    Options
    Yes, I will be careful. :) I have been faithfully following the plan up until today and I know I can't push things all the time at this stage. Today was challenging but definitely doable and it was nice to feel pleasantly fatigued like the old days. Tomorrow I have an easy day of just walking so I'll have a chance to rest before the next running day. :)
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

Completed Day 2, Week 3 of my RW 8-week program. Today was a walking only day. I did a half hour walking the perimeter of my apartment complex. I live in a pretty large complex and so walking at a moderate pace it takes about 15 minutes per lap. I like to walk here occasionally because the complex is situated on a series of ridge lines so there are some pretty steep inclines in places that gives my quads and glutes a good workout.

After my scheduled walk I hiked the greenbelt area near home again, 25 minutes out and 25 minutes back. My motivation was just the enjoyment of the hiking but I did wear my HRM and the hike torched a significant number of extra calories for me. Back to run/walk tomorrow. I'm looking forward to weighing on friday and hopefully the scales will confirm what I seem to be seeing in the mirror. I'm expecting to have gotten rid of at least another couple of pounds this past week. :glasses:
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

Completed Day 3, Week 3 of my RW 8-week program with a 5 minute walking warm-up and 5 minute walking cool down. I have come to look forward to exercising but felt a little lethargic this morning and literally had to force myself out the door. Predictably it wasn't a great workout but it was all the more satisfying once it was done since I didn't feel super motivated today. Yesterday while I did come in under my calorie goal I didn't eat properly and skipped lunch altogether. Likely this was the reason I wasn't feeling too energetic today. Tomorrow is a walk only day.
  • kalmf
    Options
    Hey, Larry! I guess our thread has dwindled away! have you thought of joining one of the running threads. You write such detailed posts and I really love reading them. I just think you could get more support and be inspiring to more people on a more popular thread. If you do join one, let me know which one.

Happy Friday
  • ldarter
    Options
    Hi Karin,

Yes, I noticed there hasn't been a lot of posting lately. I have thought about joining in with one of the runner's threads but haven't so far. I won't really think of myself as a runner again until all the walking is behind me and I am running all the time for my workouts so I may wait until I finish my run/walk program. Most everyone doing a similar run/walk program is doing the C25K so I don't really fit in with those either. But for sure I'll let you know when I join one. Happy friday to you too! :)
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

Completed Day 4, Week 3 of my RW 8-week program which was a walk only day. Probably from the extra hiking I have done over the past couple of days I was feeling a little soreness in my lower back and calves so it wasn't difficult to avoid the temptation to do anything more than the program requirements today. I felt a lot better after the walk. Springtime has finally arrived in north central Texas and it was a gorgeous day to be outside. For the third week I have two run/walk days and a rest day left.

Today was my weekly weigh-in and I lost another 2 Lbs. since last week. Actually I had been hoping for more since I had been averaging 3 Lbs. per week since starting. But based on past experience I typically lose weight faster when I first start cuttting calories and increasing my activity level so I knew that wasn't going to last. I have met my calorie goals and exercised daily since beginning so I can only assume my body has made some adjustments for the reduced calories and exercise so I'm prepared for the fact that it may be slower going for a while.

My first intermediate goal is reaching 196 Lbs. (-10 Lbs.) by the end of the month so I still feel that is a reasonable expectation.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Helloooooo again! :) How are you both doing this fine Friday?

I'm sorry I have been absent. Just read your updates, Larry and Karin - good to see you both are still here! For the first time since I started MFP, I hit a real slump. Karin - remember - I was sick for about 2 weeks? I got a little better for a few days and then it was back. :( I went to the doctor yesterday and wasn't too pleased that there's no pill I can take to get rid of it: Just rest, fluids, lemon and honey for the throat, and maybe some over the counter sinus meds. :( Have been getting VERY grouchy since this has thrown off my workout and running schedule.

Today I decided to suck it up and force my body back to good health. If I focus on feeling good, my body's bound to catch up, right?

I put my running shoes on and went for a short jog (20 mins jogging, about 15 mins walking). It felt SO GOOD to be moving again. Running = FREEDOM, personal power, all that good stuff. I am SO GLAD that I just pushed through. Now keeping the focus on nutrients (trying to eat as "clean" as I can and kick the sugar to the curb) - I should be up and really running in no time.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi Smiles4miles - I just want to say thanks for starting this thread, its exactly what I've been looking for! I really need a daily log-in to keep me on track with my workouts and seeing others triumphs is very motivating. I usually start an exercize kick but then end up quitting after only a few weeks. I don't want to do that this time, I really want the changes I am making to be a permanent lifestyle fix. It would also be nice to have somewhere to brag about my own accomplishments and get real positive feedback :) If I brag too much to my boyfriend he'll cruelly start eating french fries in front of my or trying to force me to have a beer, and my friends just tell me I'm crazy for excersizing at all. It's hard to stay on track when the people around you are making it so inviting to just give up.

Anyways I am sorry to hear that you are sick. I spent all of February sick as a dog, didn't exercize at all and gained 6lbs - I understand your grouchy feeling! Good for you for getting outside and forcing positive thoughts, I am sure it will help! Nothing beats fresh air. Eating good should make a huge difference too - I've cut out alcohol and alot of sugar and I've noticed my energy level improving daily. I used to get horrible afternoon fatigue at work but now I find I can power straight through the day and still feel pumped to workout after work. I still allow myself small treats but I am trying to get sugar free chocolate/candy wherever possible. Ever tried the sugar free mini reeses peanut butter cups? Yum! There's still cals but not the sugar crash chocolate usually gives me.

For me I am on day 5 of a herbal cleanse (not a fasting detox, I don't think those are healthy). My innards are feeling pretty good at this point!
    On my lunch break at work I completed W3D3 of my 10km running program. I managed to reach 5km in the 30minutes (R9:W1x3)
    I aiming to do an hour of yoga once I finish work. I am really sore and stiff and I want to be on my A-game for my run tomorrow :) Hopefully the yoga will help!
  • ldarter
    Options
    Hey smiles!

Welcome back. I had feared that you weren't completely well yet when you hadn't posted for several days. Sorry to hear you had the relapse. Hopefully you are now on the mend. I laughed when I read you had gone running despite everything. I admit I get impatient quickly with being sick and I've done the same thing in the past. But surprisingly it usually does turn out to speed up the getting well at least in my experience. Anyway, glad you are back and thinking positive!

Welcome nadine! Good to have a new addition to the group! Good luck with your running and your program. This has really helped to keep me accountable and on track with my own fitness program and I'm sure you will find it beneficial too.
  • kalmf
    Options
    Hey all! Welcome Nadine and welcome back Smiles,

Smiles, I don't know if you've ever tried this - or would ever want to - but at my house we swear by the lemon juice, cayenne pepper, maple syrup and hot water tonic to knock out cold, cough, flu type stuff. We drink it a bunch of times during the day and by the next day we are usually fine. Sometimes my husband adds ginger root too.

I have had a completely useless week exercise-wise. But I walked for hours today, and will start Couch25K again next week. I've decided I'll just keep pecking away at it until it sticks. I got me some time!

But I am down a half pound to 129, so I'm good.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hi Smiles4miles - I just want to say thanks for starting this thread, its exactly what I've been looking for! I really need a daily log-in to keep me on track with my workouts and seeing others triumphs is very motivating. I usually start an exercize kick but then end up quitting after only a few weeks. I don't want to do that this time, I really want the changes I am making to be a permanent lifestyle fix. It would also be nice to have somewhere to brag about my own accomplishments and get real positive feedback :) If I brag too much to my boyfriend he'll cruelly start eating french fries in front of my or trying to force me to have a beer, and my friends just tell me I'm crazy for excersizing at all. It's hard to stay on track when the people around you are making it so inviting to just give up.

Anyways I am sorry to hear that you are sick. I spent all of February sick as a dog, didn't exercize at all and gained 6lbs - I understand your grouchy feeling! Good for you for getting outside and forcing positive thoughts, I am sure it will help! Nothing beats fresh air. Eating good should make a huge difference too - I've cut out alcohol and alot of sugar and I've noticed my energy level improving daily. I used to get horrible afternoon fatigue at work but now I find I can power straight through the day and still feel pumped to workout after work. I still allow myself small treats but I am trying to get sugar free chocolate/candy wherever possible. Ever tried the sugar free mini reeses peanut butter cups? Yum! There's still cals but not the sugar crash chocolate usually gives me.

For me I am on day 5 of a herbal cleanse (not a fasting detox, I don't think those are healthy). My innards are feeling pretty good at this point!
    On my lunch break at work I completed W3D3 of my 10km running program. I managed to reach 5km in the 30minutes (R9:W1x3)
    I aiming to do an hour of yoga once I finish work. I am really sore and stiff and I want to be on my A-game for my run tomorrow :) Hopefully the yoga will help!

Hi! Great to have you here - brag all you want about your exercise. We won't get tired of it! It truly does help to have other people who are genuinely supportive of your goals. I know that it has made all the difference for me getting and staying active. (I just weighed in and gained 3 pounds too.. :( I guess that's not too bad for being sick for about 3 weeks, but still! Time to turn it around!)

I see you're doing a running program too? Larry is doing one, and Karin's going to start... and I'm trying to maintain my ability to do 5K. So far, I'm not training for anything longer, but who knows? With this group, maybe I'll set some new goals.

Thanks for the tip about the sugar free reese's. Pretty sure I would never have tried them. I'm trying to wean myself off that sugar rush, big time. :) Hope to hear your post tomorrow!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hey smiles!

Welcome back. I had feared that you weren't completely well yet when you hadn't posted for several days. Sorry to hear you had the relapse. Hopefully you are now on the mend. I laughed when I read you had gone running despite everything. I admit I get impatient quickly with being sick and I've done the same thing in the past. But surprisingly it usually does turn out to speed up the getting well at least in my experience. Anyway, glad you are back and thinking positive!

Welcome nadine! Good to have a new addition to the group! Good luck with your running and your program. This has really helped to keep me accountable and on track with my own fitness program and I'm sure you will find it beneficial too.

Thanks Larry! I'm hopeful that I'll have the surprisingly positive results, like you've had. It makes me laugh to know I'm not the only impatient one around here. The thought of you reading my post and laughing made me smile. :)

Karin - thanks for the suggestion about the tonic. I have everything I would need - except for cayenne pepper. I wonder if I could substitute some other kind of pepper? I have hawaiian chili peppers and crushed red pepper... What about the ratios??
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My (2nd) daily check - in...

Thanks for the welcomes!

Yoga was a success - Just as I lay down my yoga mat I got a phone call from a friend asking if I wanted to go out for drinks - and I am very proud of myself for turning down the invite in favor of doing my planned yoga session. I did an hour of mixed pilates/yoga and now feel great curled up on the couch with a hot cup of tea :)

karinf - congrats on the 1/2lb despite a useless week. Sometimes I think walking does more for weight-loss than running... Personally I have been too afraid to step on the scale since my glutinous easter weekend, but I am going to be brave and weigh in tomorrow morning, wish me luck!
  • ldarter
    Options
    Hey all! Welcome Nadine and welcome back Smiles,

Smiles, I don't know if you've ever tried this - or would ever want to - but at my house we swear by the lemon juice, cayenne pepper, maple syrup and hot water tonic to knock out cold, cough, flu type stuff. We drink it a bunch of times during the day and by the next day we are usually fine. Sometimes my husband adds ginger root too.

I have had a completely useless week exercise-wise. But I walked for hours today, and will start Couch25K again next week. I've decided I'll just keep pecking away at it until it sticks. I got me some time!

But I am down a half pound to 129, so I'm good.

Well a 1/2 a pound is a 1/2 a pound so I think you did good! :)
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

Completed Day 5, Week 3 of my RW 8-week program with a 3 minute walking warm-up, alternating 6 min running with 1 min walking x4 and a 3 minute walking cool down. Torched 393 calories according to my HRM. Same workout on the schedule for tomorrow.