Focused on Fitness: Daily Check-In Group

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Nadine - your post had me wondering if we were long lost twins, separated at birth. Then I looked at your picture, and no, definitely not. :wink: But, yoga, pilates and hot tea sound like an awesome combination. So does drinks with your friends. In terms of reaching goals, yoga, pilates and tea will get you there sooner! Great job. :drinker: You must feel so good.

Larry - you're almost halfway there - with your running program. Sounds like a great calorie burn, and from the way you describe your runs, a really enjoyable way to spend time outdoors. I'm thankful that you joined this thread. Your enthusiasm is contagious and I had so much fun when I ventured back out for a run yesterday.

Here's my daily check-in: Completed day 10 of Jillian's 30 Day Slimdown program. It was a strength training DVD that is on the brutal side to say the least. It sucked and I was feeling like a huge wuss. But afterward, I was proud of myself for doing what I could - even if it wasn't 100%. I'm just giving myself pep talks. Tomorrow is supposed to be 30 Day Shred, Level 2, and would really love to go for a run. But, we're spending the day participating in canoe paddling races - (from early til late) so that might be all the exercise I end up getting. It will be fun, regardless.

Looking forward to reading your posts tomorrow!
  • I have been lacking motivation to exercise lately. I came across your thread and really enjoyed reading it. It gave me the little boost to get off my butt again! Thanks!!!
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Glad you joined us! I know it helps me stay consistent and provides me some accountability. :)
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    smiles4miles - Long lost sisters then? A full day of canoeing sounds like hard work! I don't think my arms would last more than 20 minutes paddling lightly, let alone racing! I imagine your day of racing will probably be just as tough as this 30 day shred dvd and you'll be giving michelle obama competition for who has the best arms :)

Larry - It's really inspiring to see you staying strong with your program. I usually quit around week 4 so to see you almost done week 5 and still enthusiastic is great motivation for me to keep at it!

I was bad and missed yesterdays check-in. I was a little frustrated after stepping on the scale to find out I'd gained a lb, even though I'd committed to all my planned exercize and was withen my calorie budget all week. So I am back to where I started with MFP. Perhaps I gained more during easter weekend than I thought!

The good news is I finished Week 3 of my 10k program yesterday - R9:W1 x 3. I wasn't in a great mood and it felt like I was trying to run through a brick wall but still managed to reach 5km so I was happy after. I forced myself to go rock climbing at the indoor gym and in the end was really glad I did. I met some new members and they helped me work on a bouldering problem I've been struggling with. I was pretty pumped up after I managed to get one hold farther (if you've ever tried bouldering you'll know how satisfying just getting one move can be). I don't think I drank enough water during all my exercize because I had a headache for the rest of the day after and ended up being lazy on the couch eating cadbury mini eggs.... Ooops! I went a little over my calorie budget but still withen my deficit. Better than last weekend so I am not beating myself up over it.
  • ldarter
    Options
    Thanks Nadine for the kind words. I hope I do help inspire others here since everyone gives me great inspiration as well. As a runner in the past, I have pretty good self-discipline and don't usually have difficulty maintaining focus, but the encouragement of othes is always an appreciated motivational boost.

My Daily Check-in:

Completed Day 6, Week 3 of my RW 8-week program with a 3 minute walking warm-up, alternating 6 min running with 1 min walking x4 and a 3 minute walking cool down (same as yesterday). I upped the tempo today a bit and burned a few more calories than yestrday according to my HRM. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day so this essentially completed my third week of the program although I'm sure I will at least do some walking tomorrow. Hope everyone had a productive day!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Nadine, I went rock climbing and rapelling once in my life and it was awesome, I felt so high afterwards. It was also the scariest thing I've ever done. Good work!

I was hauling and digging like a fool yesterday, but today I was on a native plant garden tour so I burned a mere 97 calories walking around. It was inspiring in a totally different way, though.

Welcome Butterfly Princess, please jump into the conversation.

Smiles and Larry, congrats on the hard work!

Happy new week everyone!
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Larry - Oops I read your post wrong! I thought it said you were on week 5 for some reason, I should read a little more carefully! I should look into getting a Heart Rate Monitor. MFP tells me I've burned one amounts of cals, but the GPS on my phone tells me a completely different number. Although my phone GPS doesn't take into account my age, weight or height. Do you know if MFP does take into account those things when determining the cals you burned? I noticed one post where a girl walk/jogged 30 minutes and said she burned 350 cals. I ran a total of 27 minutes the other day at 7mph and MFP said I only burned 270?

Karin - It is very scary outdoor climbing! My first time out of doors I got to one point on the rock where I was too terrified to go any further but the instructor wouldn't let me give up. It wasn't till I started crying that he let me come down!

My check-in for yesterday;

It was supposed to be a rest day, but I wanted to see if the mountain bike trails around my house were free of snow yet, so I decided to jog 2 minutes/walk 2 minutes for as long as I had the energy - I ended up going for 1hr:20mins!! It was such a beautiful sunny day and the trail was all clear of snow. I was enjoying myself so much jumping over obstacles, dodging rocks, sprinting up and down steep slopes, I felt like I could have kept it up for hours!! I'd have kept going except I didn't have any water with me and I didn't want to get overly dehydrated. I did a leg workout after but still am not nearly as sore today as I thought I would be after my cross-country effort. I'd like to make this my new Sunday special - just hit a trail and walk/jog for as long as I feel energized, and hopefully that will be longer each week!
  • ldarter
    Options
    Nadine,

That's okay...my writing isn't that compelling a read. Lol Yep, I'm just starting week four tomorrow so not quite half way through yet but I'm getting there. Great workout for you today! I'm sure it was enjoyable. I love trail running or I use to love it and hope I will be loving it again soon.

Yes, the MPF cardio to my understanding is supposed to take into consideration all the information you input when you signed up so the calorie values should be individualized. I have actually found in review that the numbers track pretty well with what I am seeing now that I am back to using my HRM. Depending on the particular exercise, some of the MFP values are a little conservative if you compare them to the numbers you can find on other exercise sites. There are variations I suppose since all the information in the databases is supplied by users. I think I am getting optimum accuracy with my Polar F11 and I like having that available.

The rock climbing sounds like a blast and something I hope to try this summer. There is a great place to climb in central Texas and they even offer beginner climbing classes there during the summer months. So hopefully I'll get started with that this year.

My Daily Check-in:

As far as my program, today was a scheduled rest day but I just hate skipping a day altogether because I just know I have less trouble staying consistent if I get some exercise every day. So I settled for a 30 minute walk to balance my desire to exercise with my need to rest. I start Week 4 of my program tomorrow which will be the most challenging week thus far. I'll be running minutes in double digits before the end of the week.
  • kalmf
    Options
    Hey y'all!

I did a 90 minute yoga class and then one hour of some serious digging in the garden - so I feel good. Tomorrow I really want to restart the couch25k, but if it's pouring like it was for most of today I might weanie out.

Good going Larry, and Nadine - that's a ton of work - well done and it does sound beautiful.

Have a good night!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Howdy :)

Hi Butterfly Princess, glad you're joining us. What are your exercise / movement goals so far?

Karin - gardening sounds like such good fun. What are you growing? I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow so you can get out there and hit the trail. Can't wait to hear about your start.

Nadine - where do you live that there's still snow in April? Glad that the trails were cleared. I am envisioning a wooded area - mountainous too? Sounds like you had a great day.... and rock climbing (even indoor) sounds exciting. Never tried it. Oh - about your HRM question... my answer is, "what Larry said". :) I recently got a Polar F6 and it surprised me by giving a much higher calorie count (estimate) than the MFP site. But it uses my height, weight, age, etc - so it is likely more accurate. My 58 minute excursion (walk/run with big hills) supposedly burned about 600 cals today. Seems like a lot, but who knows?

Larry - great progress... I truly am glad that you started the running fever on this thread. Today I went for a walk run. 13 mins warm up, 30 min run, 10 min cool down. It was gorgeous weather - such beautiful sunshine - and it felt SO GOOD to get out there and move. Total route was 4.3 miles. (Running was 3.1). I'm going at a pace of about 10 mins a mile. Not sure if that's "good" or not - I'm about 5'5... and the route has many hills. Thanks ever so much for the inspiration. :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Okie dokie - April 13 check in:
    Missed my workout this morning but came home and did shred level 2 and Jillian cardio kickbox. All in all, just short of an hour. Worked up a good sweat, feel good about it. :) Hopefully the weather will be nice for a run tomorrow morning. :)
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

Yesterday I missed my first day of exercising since starting here at MFP. Life just got in the way and I couldn't squeeze it in. I didn't feel too terrible about it though since I have been consistent and hadn't actually taken any rest days the past three weeks even though there is a rest day built into the program I am doing right now. But today, I was back in the saddle and completed D1W4 of my 8-week program. Three repeats of alternating 8 minutes running/1 minute walking and a final 3 minutes of running at the end. I also did an extra 10 minutes of walking including my warm-up and cool down and getting back home from the park I used for running today. My program gets more challenging from this point forward adding more running minutes and fewer walking minutes each run/walk day.

I'm excited about the fact that my one month anniversary with MFP is coming up in just a few more days. At least based on the mirror I feel I am seeing results. I took a front and side view of myself when I started that showed how much fat I was carrying around the middle, the area for me where extra weight is most noticeable, at 206 Lbs. I plan to take identical photos on April 18, to see how much difference there is after my first month.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Hey all

I missed checking-in again yesterday. I was having a frustrating day, I felt very grumpy and lethargic all day for no real reason that I could determine. I was scheduled to run 30 mins but only managed 25, so I decided I would climb at the indoor gym for longer but cut that in half too. Finally I decided I would do at least 30 mins of yoga but only ended up doing 15. I made the mistake of getting on the scale again, only to find I'd gained another 2lbs. Hopefully just water weight because I don't see how one can possibly gain 2lbs in two days. Anyways, I went home and slept it off and hopefully my workouts will go better today :)
  • kalmf
    Options
    Nadine - I have those days too! Look at how much you did, though. As far as weighing yourself - I don't know what time of day it was, but there's no way you could gain 2 real pounds like that.

Larry - once again, great work!

Smiles, I have a veggie garden but most of the hard core work is ripping out papyrus which took over my yard over the last three years. Once it's all out the fun begins. I'm working on a native plant design with a few perennials thrown in.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Karin - I bought a scale! I am going to start weighing myself in the morning when its more consistant. I know I am not overweight but I am on the high end of my healthy BMI and I'd like to lose a bit of weight and body fat to help with my running. The scale I bought also indicates your level of hydration, I tested it out after my run today and discovered I was very dehydrated! This might explain my sluggishness.

smiles4miles - I live in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. It snowed almost every night last week and then we had beautiful sunshine during the day. I was going to work in the morning in snowboots and a down jacket, and coming home in the afternoon in running shoes and short sleeves, it was crazy!

My check in - Wk4D2 I cheated a bit and didn't really do the workout properly - This training week is tough and I am struggling. I think I might have to repeat it again next week. It jumps from running 9min run intervals last week to 14min run intervals this week. Next week is meant to be 30mins straight running. I don't think at this rate I'll be ready for that.
  • ldarter
    Options
    Larry - great progress... I truly am glad that you started the running fever on this thread. Today I went for a walk run. 13 mins warm up, 30 min run, 10 min cool down. It was gorgeous weather - such beautiful sunshine - and it felt SO GOOD to get out there and move. Total route was 4.3 miles. (Running was 3.1). I'm going at a pace of about 10 mins a mile. Not sure if that's "good" or not - I'm about 5'5... and the route has many hills. Thanks ever so much for the inspiration. :)

Smiles – Great job on your run Tuesday! I think a 10 minute pace is more than respectable and glad you had such a great day for running!

Karin – Thanks so much for the encouragement! I am sure the gardening is a great way to burn calories while enjoying something you like doing at the same time! The plan you mentioned sounds fabulous. I bet it will look great when you are finished.
    My check in - Wk4D2 I cheated a bit and didn't really do the workout properly - This training week is tough and I am struggling. I think I might have to repeat it again next week. It jumps from running 9min run intervals last week to 14min run intervals this week. Next week is meant to be 30mins straight running. I don't think at this rate I'll be ready for that.

Nadine – Wow! It does sound like the program you are doing requires you to advance awful quickly. My Runner’s World program only requires me to add a minute of running to the intervals each run/walk day with a walking only day in between and I still am finding it pretty challenging. Don’t get discouraged. It never hurts to drop back and repeat a week when it is necessary.

I will be heading out for my workout in a bit and will post my check-in later this afternoon. I weighed a day early this week because I was impatient to find out if I had finally dropped out of the BMI Obese category and I did! I lost 2 more pounds and am now at 196 pounds which moved me down to the “overweight” category with a BMI under 30.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Thanks Larry - I think I will hold back. It's not going to effect my weight loss progess as the time spent running is almost the same. The workout this week is run14mins:walk2mins:run14mins and next week is meant to be 30 minutes straight. If I'm not ready, I'm not ready :) Right now the plan involves doing the same workout 4 times throughout the week. Once I get through the week of 30 minutes straight running each day then workouts start to become more varied. I guess the idea is to build up a solid base fitness first and then carry on progressing from there.

Today is a rest/ cross training day. I am going to walk for an hour and do some climbing at the gym. I am really getting addicted to the climbing - I can hardly spend a day away and my arms are starting to show signs of serious muscle! I also weighed in this morning at 130.6. I want to weigh in more often to keep closer track of what's working and what's not with my eating habits, at least until I start to see some signs of improvement and know I am doing the right things.
  • ldarter
    Options
    My Daily Check-in:

Completed D2W4 of my current 8-week program. Today was a walk only day but I might have jogged a couple of the laps around the fitness track. Lol I also did a few extra minutes over what was required. Getting the first 10 pounds behind me was a great motivator. Tomorrow it is back to run/walk. Hope everyone had a good and productive day!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Larry - I saw your post yesterday that you missed a day (for the first time since you started). I agree, you have been really consistent, no worried in taking a day off. That being said, though, I was unable to get my workout in yesterday because my life also got in the way - and I was VERY grumpy about it! Workouts are my best way to combat stress -and stress was the problem yesterday. You see my dilemma.....

Today I haven't done anything yet either - but that changes in about 15 mins. I can't decide if I should go for a run, walk the dogs, or do a high intensity cardio DVD. Trying to decide which one would blow off the most stress. Maybe I'll do them ALL!!!! LOL!!!

Nadine - You must have nerves of steel... I would be getting REALLY REALLY grouchy if my winter lasted throughout springtime!!! At least you get good sunshine and can end the day in shorts. Keep us posted on your running journey. When I started Cto5K, I found I had to repeat week 4, and the intervals were less daunting than the program you're doing now. Just keep plugging away!!!

Karin - did you bust out the running shoes yet?

I'll report back in after I do SOMETHING....
  • ldarter
    Options
    Larry - I saw your post yesterday that you missed a day (for the first time since you started). I agree, you have been really consistent, no worried in taking a day off. That being said, though, I was unable to get my workout in yesterday because my life also got in the way - and I was VERY grumpy about it! Workouts are my best way to combat stress -and stress was the problem yesterday. You see my dilemma.....

Yes, Smiles I certainly understand what you mean. I tend to get the same way once I am established in a fitness routine and am forced to miss a workout. It's almost the same for me as some smokers I've known when they have been forced to go without smoking. Lol I guess I get accustomed to the endorphins or something and get very grumpy when I can't get my workout in. :sad:

Nadine - That's cool that you live in Whistler! I haven't visited there but I have been to Vancouver and loved it! The people were super nice and it was such a beautiful city with so much to do. I actually plan one day soon to attend a mountaineering course in BC. I haven't looked at the brochure in a while but I seem to recall it being near Whistler. Anyway I was in Vancouver during July and the weather was beautiful.

Yeah Karin - did you bust out the running shoes yet? :bigsmile:

Now without further ado....

My Daily Check-in:

Completed Day 3, Week 4 of my RW 8-week program with a 3 minute walking warm-up, alternating 9 min running with 1 min walking x3 and a 3 minute walking cool down. Challenging at the end but during the first two intervals I felt pretty strong. Tomorrow is a walk only day and then I finish the week with back to back run/walk days. Hope you all had a productive friday!