WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cookie Rose!

We are glad to have you join us. Yes support from others does help keep up the motivation and the spirits. So come here as often as you like and we will lend an ear and hopefully give you the feed back you need.

I usually sign my name but you could just put it in your signature.

Oh, whoever asked for an updated pic, (Barb, I think) I don't think I look any different. I should have had my son take a pic when I got home because the hair dresser makes my curly hair all smooth and I can never make it look like she fixes it. But she says that's because I won't take the time to fool with it. The gray is all gone and that's the best part.

Cindy
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Cindy - Thank you for your feed back. It is true for many of us (myself included), that just when you lose weight and feel great, you aren't so stingent on the discipline of what got you to your goal. So I really do appreciate the reminder to not forget about working out.

Cookie Rose - Welcome to this great group of ladies. If you are looking for support, you have most definitely come to the right place. If it wasn't for the support of this thread, I would not have been as successful as I have been. Having a support group helps to keep you accountable. It's a huge part of getting on the right track of living a healthy lifestyle. Good luck to you.

Btw, I would LOVE one of your cookies, I bet they are popular in your family.

Well, just saw my first Robin of the year here in Ontario. They're calling for rain today so I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot more Robins before the end of the day.

Have a super weekend everyone!

Debbie
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Cindy,
    The warm chocolate pudding recipe looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing ::flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice, Barbie! (and Denise) It is difficult to keep things in perspective some times! (Especially weight/food issues!)
    Debbie, congratulations! Those last pounds are the toughest. Good for you!
    I am going to pass on the wine this weekend as I do not think that is helping me, as much as I enjoy a glass...or two. (maybe that's the problem???)
    Here's to making good choices!:drinker: All best, Kackie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon Everyone ..... Hope you're having a good weekend.
    :drinker: Well done Debbie .... your ticker scales are at the end .... where to now??
    :flowerforyou: Viv .... Belated hello from a fellow Brit!
    :flowerforyou: Cindy ... thanks for the door catch idea ... may need that one soon!!!

Well...... :bigsmile: The scales stayed the same again today ... yippee!!! I think it's the red wine again as we had one of my favourite meals for late lunch ..While we were on our own ..... Kidneys Turbigo. Lambs kidneys are not everyone's cup of tea but we like them. Sauteed with onions, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms. Flambeed with brandy, bit of red wine and then finished with cream!! But... i was good and used low fat creme fraiche. Served with basmati rice flavoured with turmeric and with a tiny bit of garlic bread, - a nice glass of red wine and ....I fell asleep for the rest of the afternoon!!. Plus.... later on in the evening some mini Chinese spring rolls and prawn rolls and the rest of the wine. A very economical meal that didn't actually send me over on the calories.

:happy: Today I feel ....Thinner as I am now wearing some black trousers that haven't seen the light of day for quite a few years!
    But ..so as not to be too complacent ...these are actually trousers that were my "Big " trousers before I dieted years ago and had to have "Smaller" trousers. If you can follow that you're a marvel!! Even so ... it's good to get back into them!!

:ohwell: But .. I am also feeling "Older" today as DH and I have just got some pension info. We're now working our way through it all to decide what, when and how we can take these pensions. Lump sums to go towards our holidays and pensions now sound good. Sometimes looking too far to the future is very hard ... we never know what's just around the corner. Do we do all the things we want to do while we can? While we still have our health? To do them now or not?

So ... off to cook tea now ... poached salmon, potatoes, peas and carrots. Fruit for pudding.
    should be within the calories but i have no exercise leeway! Then ... I'm off to colour my hair ready for the holiday. If you hear a scream all the way over there it's because it's gone haywire and all fallen out or gone green or the like! :glasses:

BFN:heart:
    Jackie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Sunny Saturday to All!

Only time for a quick HI! Welcome new ones!

Debbie WOW one pound away, can hardly wait to be there...all those clothes are calling me.

I feel like I should change my weigh in day to Saturday, it seems to be the day of the week that I'm my lowes:bigsmile: t. This morning marked 15 lbs gone, so that is half of what I gained last year, another three and I will be half way to my goal.

Last night Gerald said we could go out to any place that I wanted, I said any place he wanted I would make it work for me. We chose the Elephant Bar, I was able to look at the menu before we left and planned what I'd eat, even a little left over for lunch today.:wink:

With the elliptical finally working properly, I'm able to watch the minutes, calories burned and heart rate and it really keeps me motivate:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: d. Already have my workout done for today and am now heading upstairs to work on Mom's taxes. I had to turn down the invitation from my DI:cry: L to go to the St. Patty's Parade to see my son in (he's in the Army Reserves) and spend time with my grandson because I have too much to get ready for this Oregon trip.

Have a good day everyone...eat, drink, exercise and watch those calories for tomorrow we will all be small!:drinker:

Laura:smile:

PS..Peanut has been sitting on my lap and keeps trying to lickt all my "workout salt" off my arms:laugh: ....guess I'd better hit the shower!
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    Hello, I am from Alabama. Back on the routine again as I regained my lost weight. I have WW'd but I was not too motivated, so my daughter urged me to come here, and I think I am seeing some positive results. I think I will just read and lurk for awhile until I see what things you ladies like to talk about.

Someone mentioned malted milk biscuits--what is the name of these? I have a grocery store that carries goodies from England, and I would like to check them out. Having one with a nice afternoon coffee helps me avoid eating every other thing in sight.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Good Morning, It is a beautiful sunny cold morning in NW Washington. Haifa, the cat is sitting on the keyboard and Brandy, the poodle, is sitting on a pile of pillows looking out the window waiting for someone to come by so she can bark.

I've been focused on maintaining my weight now that I've reached my goal and have gradually added calories (from 1200 gradually to 1500 and eating my exercise calories) and it looks now like I've lost another pound. I really haven't changed how I eat except that I can have some peanut butter or an extra Isalean bar for a snack but under no circumstances returning to the unhealthy way I used to eat. After more than a year of staying away from alcohol, white sugar, white flour, artificial sweeteners, carbonated beverages, and processed foods I don't really crave them and all I have to do is look in the mirror and ask what do I want more, size 4 jeans or a pizza and the answer is obvious.

:flowerforyou: Denise, you are so right about not having tempting foods in the house.......I had a dream the other night about eating Fritos and muffins and when I woke up, the first thing I thought of was "why on earth would they even be in my house, waiting for me to eat them?":laugh:

:flowerforyou: Viv, even taking a walk around the block or down the street or walking the doggies again is exercise, so when I don't feel like doing something really vigorous, I just walk.......if you're moving, you're losing:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Debbie, congratulations on getting almost to your goal weight........keep your eye on the prize and look in the mirror a lot to remind yourself of how great it is to be the right size......it will encourage you.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, you're right about cooking only enough and not making extra.........eating the "left-overs" was always my downfall

:flowerforyou: Cookie Rose, we're glad to have you join us........when I started I didn't believe it would work, but I read the posts and replied every day as well as logging my food and exercise and remarkable things happened......I wish the same for you

:flowerforyou: kackie, I know a lot of people say wine is good for your health and weight loss, but my experience is that it only adds empty calories......I guess we all have to find our own way

:flowerforyou: the dogs started barking and when I got up to kick them out of the den, Haifa lay down on the computer chair so now I'm sharing it with him:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jackie, you cook such interesting meals......if you lived closer I'm come for dinner:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Laura, I'm glad the elliptical is finally working......I think a lot of my success has come from having exercise equipment in my living room.

:flowerforyou: madgoth, we're glad to have you join us. I hope you'll post often and tell us more about you.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Well, DH is up and about so it's time for me to join the family.
    :heart: :smooched: :heart: :smooched: hugs:heart::smooched: Barbie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :happy: Thanks to Netflix, I finally found a stability ball workout DVD to do that is making a difference: The Method* Target Specifics Stability Ball

23t2l1y.jpg

I don't feel much when I am actually doing the 10 minutes of abs, but could SURE feel it in my torso this morning, both front and back. I never understood before how much this kind of workout effects posture or why a stability ball activates your core.

I'm interested to see what my measurements will be after 3 weeks of every other day workouts. Its already made a difference in my posture after only 2 workouts. Size 10, here I come! :glasses:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Question? If you weigh-in using a "strange" scale...(not at home) mid-day...with clothes on, after having breakfast and multiple cups of coffee.... and you have GAINED a couple of pounds, do you count that?

If you don't weigh youself at the same time on the same scale, you can see a difference in weight. You also need to be wearing about the same amount of clothes (or none at all). It's not unusual to see a weight gain, my weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds in one day, a lot depends on if you just drank a lot of water, did you just work out, etc?

I wouldn't worry.

And....keep away from those cookies!!!!! You know what I do? Someone that I used to work with gave me this recipe. I make these muffins and keep them in the freezer. Take 3 cups of wheat bran (I think I mentioned this before), one egg, 1-1/2 cups of water, one pkg of low fat brownie mix. Mix it all together, put in greased muffin tins, bake at 350 for 30 min. The wheat bran really makes you want to drink water, so I know that I usually feel too full to want to munch on something unhealthy. With each muffin, I usually drink about 24oz of water.

Michele
  • exermom
    Options
    What do others do when they are too tired to exercise? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I usually do some yoga. It's not very vigorous exercise, but it sure helps with flexibility.

Oh, I've been good so far, but I still need a push to do my yoga every day. Like tonight we're having this progressive dinner with our Homeowner's Assoc. At one house we'll have horsduerves (or however it's spelled) and at another house we'll have desserts.

Michele
  • exermom
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Well it's Saturday morning and the world outside is coming to life with the sounds of birds singing and chirping. I love this time of year,

This moring is my weekly way in day. I continue to be mindful of portion sizes and try to eat healthy. However, I really believed that I would stay the same weight as I am getting closer to my goal weight and I know it's harder to lose as you get closer to "the finish line". But, boy was I surprised. I have lost another 3 pounds this week. I am now 1 pound away from my goal weight. I truly cannot remember the last time I was in this weight range. It feels good to wear clothes that I feel good in again.

I wish everyone great success in your weight journeys. Don't give up, your dreams will come true.

Have a great weekend!

WTG girl!

Michele
  • exermom
    Options
    Ladies, I really need your help.

I'm still looking for a crockpot. I know that I definitely want one with a locking lid. I really don't want something in brushed chrome or stainless steel as when I looked at Consumers Reports their comment was that if food gets stuck on a stainless steel finish, you can't scrub w/o damaging the finish. I would really like white ceramic, definitely not black but I'm open to other colors. I was positive I wanted one with a timer, but that's not as big a thing as the locking lid. At first I thought that I'd prefer something round, but oblong is OK.

Does anyone have one that meets these criteria. The locking lid is a pretty important thing. The only one I've seen (not that I've looked much) is made by Hamilton Beach. I've found that their other appliances aren't all that great, but that's not to say that their crock pots aren't good. I'm not very please with my HB mixer, it'll do.

HELP!!!

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I just finished 20 minutes of "yoga with poodles"........maybe I should have fed them first :laugh: I've had yoga as one of my goals for months and haven't been doing it......today I got rid of all the known roadblocks......closed the hide a bed in the living room that has been open for DH and the dogs to spend the days and nights while he recovers from his cold......tried wearing the baggy pants I had on to go to the dog park instead of changing into something else and all went well until the dogs joined me on the mat :laugh: ......now with one day done, maybe tomorrow will be easier.:bigsmile:
    Barbie.
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    I just finished 20 minutes of "yoga with poodles"........maybe I should have fed them first :laugh: I've had yoga as one of my goals for months and haven't been doing it......today I got rid of all the known roadblocks......closed the hide a bed in the living room that has been open for DH and the dogs to spend the days and nights while he recovers from his cold......tried wearing the baggy pants I had on to go to the dog park instead of changing into something else and all went well until the dogs joined me on the mat
    Barbie.

Barbie (and all the other ladies who share their pet stories on this thread), I get such a kick out of our beloved little 4 legged children.

My big boy "Spot" (a very large black and white cat) loves to watch me do yoga (he's probably laughing at me :laugh: ). He waits until I am in the "downward dog" position where my belly is hovering above my yoga mat. He then saunters onto my mat and throws himself on his back and has a big stretch. I know he's attention seeking :wink: . I have a good laugh though as I "roll" my little buddy off of the mat (of which he can become quite offended by this :angry: ).

I think our pets help us on our weight journeys, they make us laugh which de-stresses us and when we have less stress, we have less belly fat.

Hooray for all of our little buddies! :heart:

Debbie
  • constancemwj
    Options
    Debbie great job.... only one pound to go,,, can't even think of what it would be like being there...its been 25 years sense I've been at my goal weight.

Today was my daughters first track meet of the season,,,It was a great day for it... She loves to run.. and took third in the 200M.. I was so proud of her.....AW I had 3 hours to blow before her event and there was a trail the winds around the area and just keeps going to I have no idea where... So I walked it for a whole 3 hrs......I figure i went a total of 7+ miles and was really feeling it when I got back to the school...I'm not in as good as shape as I though it seems.... But I was still proud of myself,, except on the way home from the meat the girls wanted to stop and eat and we ended up at Wendy's and I splurged and had a frosty,,, only a small one it was so good for such a great day though and I was only 100 over my calories tonight. I'll decide when I weigh-in on tuesday weather it was worth it.:bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

DebbieW--

Thank you for sharing your "Spot" story. What would we do without our four footed family members, who help make every task more "interesting"--though not necessarily EASIER!!!:laugh: That's quite funny, a cat names "Spot"--next we will have a dog named "Fluffy.":laugh: :laugh:

Michelle--

In regard to your search for a crock pot--not sure why the locking lid is so important, but if it is just because you plan to transport food in it, here is my solution. I have a Rival brand with a white finish that has a timer and is programmable to switch from hi to low while cooling, and then to warm. It also has a removable crock. I solved the problem of a wandering lid while travelling by taking a rubber band, looping it through the handle of the lid, and then looping the opposite end around the handle on the pot itself. This means the lid stays put. Obviously, you can't flip it over or anything, but it will keep the lid in place until you are ready to remove it. As I wrote this I realized that I could use a couple of short bungee cords and this would work even better. I will have to get some at Dollar Tree next time I am there.

NOTE: If you also read the Golden Sneakers thread, the rest of this post is a "rerun"......(if you already read my post there from today.)

Barbie--

I hope the next time you do "Yoga with Poodles" you will have Jake take a picture.:laugh: :laugh: I bet it looks about as funny as "Computing with Bradley and Pepper." This involves Bradley laying on my right, on the chair itself, while Pepper, AKA "my ultimate laptop" lays on my left thigh, and I have the laptop pc on my right thigh and try to keyboard while keeping his feet off the mouse pad on the laptop. If I don't it leads to strange goings on. Eventually, Pepper will get tired of competing for space and attention and move to the ottoman.

Ended up just throwing in the towel and not working today either. My mom is having problems dealing with the pulled muscle in her hip/back. They have her on Tylenol w/codeine, and all she can do all day is fall asleep every time she tries to read, plus it isn't that effective against her pain. She is sensitive to some pain meds, which makes it more difficult to finds something she can take that works. Another problem she has is that they put her on a new BP med and when she took her pressure, it was ridiculously low--the systolic (lower) number was 53!!! No wonder she felt so worn out. Anyway, the advise nurse at her health plan recommended taking her BP med every other day, until Tues, when she has another appointment w/her doctor, and told her to cut back on the Tylenol/codeine combo as well. She is hanging in.

She is not a complainer, but she IS a mule!!:heart: I decided last night that I should plan to go over to their apartment and make dinner tonight, so we figured out what I needed to get to supplement what was already in the kitchen, and today, when I called to see if there was anything to add to the list, she starts talking about how she is going to set the table to "save time." So, of course, I had to start my speech again --"What part of you don't have to do ANYTHING except eat and swallow your food.is so hard to understand?......blah blah" So then she said, well I will just "clear" it (They have limited space so the dining table serves other purposes when it is not mealtime.) Despite my again telling her to just let it be, of course it was clear when I got there:smile:, but at least she didn't set it before I got there!!

Anyway, I managed to cook steak, veggies, make a salad and some rice pilaf w/couscous, and we had strawberries for dessert. My dad had ice cream and chocolate sauce with his, so he was happy. I also discovered something interesting. You know how Jack Daniels makes all those BBQ sauces, that you can buy in the store, and TGI Fridays has all those JD sauced things on their menu? Well, I didn't have any JD, but my dad does like scotch, so there was some available.

Anyway, I combined some scotch, water and a little butter and a splash of olive oil, and poached the meat after it was browned on both sides. I also used the same sauce to cook some mushrooms and sweet onions to go on top of the steak. I thought it was yummy, and my dad liked it too.

Of course, once dinner was over, I had to make another speech to keep her from trying to clear the table. :bigsmile:

Since the doggies were alone for about 7 hours, I got a very loud and enthusiastic welcome home, once I got here. Something tells me this is going to be another weekend where I don't get anything done that I planned to do. sigh:grumble: But I would rather have my days off disrupted than to be without my parents, so I will persevere.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday. Not sure I will be on here tomorrow. Found out during dinner tonight that a close friend of mine lost her step dad yesterday-- just as he was being prepped for surgery. Quite unexpected. She was planning to see him in another month or so when a family gathering was being planned. She lost her job on the same day she lost him, and she won't make plans to go out of state to see the rest of her family unless she finds work, so I think she may need a little talk time tomorrow.

Everyone have a good Sunday. Though I didn't mention you by name, I am thinking of you all.

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Jackie thanks for the welcome, hope all is well with you.

Barbie thanks for reminding me that even walking the dogs is better than nothing. As the weather is getting slightly better I am sure our dogs Tara and Frankie will get more walks from now on. It has been hard this winter walking them in all weathers, but I will soon be able to go out without my hat, gloves, scarf etc - I might look a few pounds thinner just getting all the extra layers off lol :laugh:
    Well talking about keeping moving - I'd better have a quick tidy up and get some washing outside while the weather is good.

Bye for now

Viv
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Okay - I did it. I put a recent photo of my on the site instead of a 4 year old one. I look all of the 150 pounds I weigh. This was on our cruise going out to dinner. When I look at this hopefully it will make me stick to my resolve. I have been good during the weeks and then going off track every weekend and gaining back the weight I managed to lose during the week.

I used to be thin until I hit 45 and since then I have gained 35 pounds. Gradually but..... I lost track and just didn't care for a while. I am too young to feel this damn old. Isn;t that a country song!!

Hopefully I will have a new photo in a month of a thinner me.

Wish me luck. time to get serious.

susan
  • LifeAfter50
    Options
    Good Morning All

I'm new to this site... but thought I would try to post a little something.... First... let me tell you ... I love reading all of your posts... you guys are so encouraging ....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I love that.... and I think that is really going to help me...

My daughter and son-in-law are here from Birmingham with my 2 yr old granddaughter Emma for the week... They are both teachers and are out for spring break..... :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: We are heading to the beach in a few minutes... The weather is beautiful here around 65 and moving up... so instead of going to the gym today... I plan to walk on the beach with the kids..... I'm so ready for spring to be here..... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Just to give you a little background
    I have really let my self go since my Mom passed away 5 years ago....I'm still having a very hard time dealing with it all... but the days are getting better..... but I have to loose some of this weight.... because I think this is a big part of it.... I grieve and eat, grieve and eat....

I also QUIT smoking 2 packs a day when my granddaughter was born 2 ys ago.... I have smoked most of my adult life and had quit for about 7 years and then picked it back up while out one night..... but this time is different ... I know I can not be a social smoker....I will never have another cigarette:noway: :noway: :noway: .... whew... that felt good to say....

Now on to loosing this weight... this is my next big goal for me ..... I really love posting the food on here.... I really had no idea how many calories were in the food I was eating.... This is going to be a great adventure for me....

Thank you for being so kind and encouraging :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Everyone have a super day!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: