Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    sorry, but diet sodas are NOT healthy for you.

This!!! If you are trying to be healthier diet soda is not the way to do it. The artificial sweetners in them are absolutely horrible for the body. Yes, yes I know people all the time around me say well everything is bad for us, but this is one thing that we can control being put into our bodies. Why pile on more cancer causing agents when you have the choice?
  • ladyjanewriter
    ladyjanewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Unsweetened tea, brew your own at home, I still use a glass suntea dispenser, put the teabags in, fill with water, sit in sun for a few hours, take out teabags and stick in the fridge. Start off with regular tea since you ARE hooked on caffeine, and wean yourself off it by gradually switching to decaf tea or mixing herbal teas with regular tea.

Thank you. You are right.

I had a friend suggest this before, but I just kept telling myself, "Oh, it's diet soda, it's not that bad..." Yeah. Yeah it is.

I actually cut down on gin n' tonics easier than diet soda. No lie.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Diet Sunkist is really good... it doesn't have that "diet twang" to it. Recently, though, I have found the Sobe Strawberry Dragonfruit to be quite tasty and relatively healthy. It's sweetened with Stevia and satisfies my sweet tooth. I'm trying to cut back on the soda myself (I'm a pretty major Dr. Pepper addict), and the Sobe is helping. Good luck!
  • Jeffersz
    Options
    There are so many studies on diet sodas it’s not even funny, with the ones touting negative benefits vs. positive being split nearly down the middle. What "I" know is that when my wife completely dropped fully sugared soda for diet? Her weight gain increased which could substantiate (IMHO) some claims that it actually stimulates hunger in some people.

I have never been a big soda drinker, ever, but on the rare occasion I do crave one? I’ll have a Coke Zero or Diet Dew, all things in moderation!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are so many studies on diet sodas it’s not even funny, with the ones touting negative benefits vs. positive being split nearly down the middle. What "I" know is that when my wife completely dropped fully sugared soda for diet? Her weight gain increased which could substantiate (IMHO) some claims that it actually stimulates hunger in some people.

I have never been a big soda drinker, ever, but on the rare occasion I do crave one? I’ll have a Coke Zero or Diet Dew, all things in moderation!

It may stimulate hunger to quit drinking pop, but that doesn't mean you have to go eat so many more calories that you gain weight. That sounds like a pretty poor excuse.
  • Jeffersz
    Options
    It may stimulate hunger to quit drinking pop, but that doesn't mean you have to go eat so many more calories that you gain weight. That sounds like a pretty poor excuse.

Excuse? If we were making excuses we wouldnt be here... I don't blame my weight or my health on anyone buy myself and my poor choices in life.... And neither does my wife for that matter.

But thanks for opinion.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Stay away from diet sodas!! They are quick fixes that give your body an immediate chemical reaction that kill brain cells.

Aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame potassium are common calorie-free artificial sweeteners found in diet soda, alone or in combination. They are all FDA-approved, but many holistic practitioners caution against their consumption because of the numerous complaints of side effects, including headaches, dizziness, mood swings, nausea, seizures and abdominal pain.

Here is the article I pulled the info from:
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/210926-ingredients-in-diet-sodas/#ixzz2HJDBmzWa

I usually stay away from the more heated topics but I wanted to add my experience to this. I have nothing against diet soda and I used to drink 1 can of diet gingerale every day for a couple years. About six months ago I started feeling really sick with dizziness, nausea and headaches. At first I though it was a virus but when it didn't go away I started looking at my diet. I eliminated all "diet" drinks for a two weeks and I felt much better. Last week my husband bought some diet gingerale and I decided to try one again. Sure enough, before I even finished the can, I was nauseous and had cold sweats. I suffered from a migraine that night too. Trust me, these weren't imagined symptoms! I can no longer drink diet soda or Crystal light. The powered drink additives, including liquid Mio, give me horrible stomach cramps. I was even tested for gallbladder issues before it was determined that the drinks were to blame.

I still use a small amount of Splenda in my tea and I chew sugar free gum but I have to avoid any diet drinks and large amounts of sweetener now. I think I was addicted to the fizz but I can't stand club soda or carbonated water without sweetener so I just drink plain water. Interestingly enough, I can't use stevia either. I become very dizzy and off balance when I use it. Google it if you are interested, it is a known side effect for some people. Anyway, if diet soda doesn't bother you than more power to you but if you develop symptoms that are mentioned in the article above, then take a look at what you are drinking because these symptoms are real for some people. They can come out of the blue after years of drinking diet sods with no issues, so it is something to keep in mind. :wink:
  • buchbrun64
    Options
    After watching "Hungry for Change" on Netflix, I gave up all soda. There are so many things we are putting in our bodies that are bad for us. On my quest to become as healthy as I can be, challenging in a world where so much of our food is altered, soda's are the one thing I gave up cold turkey. Working on many other areas as well but, after watching that, I so realized that I need to be actively aware and involved in what I am putting in my body and in my children's bodies. Scary stuff...we are NOT eating the same food our parents and grandparents ate...

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I found that I seriously love the fizzies. My aunt got us a home soda maker for Christmas. I just carbonate some water and add some fresh lemon juice to it. So good!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I found that I seriously love the fizzies. My aunt got us a home soda maker for Christmas. I just carbonate some water and add some fresh lemon juice to it. So good!

Now this is a cool idea!
  • pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What are some good tasting Diet Sodas? I loath Diet Coke. I do however like Diet Mountain Dew... are there any other good ones out there??
  • pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda anymore. It was really effecting my health.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from anything artificially sweetened. Get off the soda entirely and drink water or tea.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I switched to Ice Coffee... all of the caffeine and none of the chemicals,
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Diet Water
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    sorry, but diet sodas are NOT healthy for you.
    Because...........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet soda is so bad for you, I can't recommend any flavor. Growing evidence shows that Aspartame is just awful for you in many ways, just as NutraSweet was before it, and saccharine before that. It tastes terrible and it's basically poison. Google side effects of aspartame, or health effects of aspartame. Diet soda is not a healthy alternative.
    Lol, google peer reviewed clinical studies on aspartame and you'll find that the side effects are minor and not applicable to most of the general public.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HunterTrouble
    HunterTrouble Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There is nothing good about diet soda.
    I attribute it to helping me maintain my physique.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    They are all FDA-approved, but many holistic practitioners caution against their consumption because of the numerous complaints of side effects, including headaches, dizziness, mood swings, nausea, seizures and abdominal pain.
    Complaints from other holistic practitioners.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member