Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    brian46845 wrote: »
    50 and wanting a lasting change.. Hit 251 in Jan and want to lose 50 pounds permanently over the next year. Getting married May 30 and want to be 230 by then..

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. That's what got me motivated and start eating healthy, our daughter's wedding on June 6 :-) this is a friendly bunch and are willing to help with anything you need :-)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    aroar2014 wrote: »
    New to MFP. I am 53 and have been struggling to do this on my own. Feeling like I need a group to keep my motivation going. Looks like this is a friendly spot to land.

Welcome to the group :-)
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Luvstogolf wrote: »
    What a nice group...I just turned 50 in January. Live in Florida, looking for fitness pals for motivation!
    Welcome, Luvstogolf. I just had to say a personal "hi" as my screen name on the only other forum I frequent is Golfnut. I only wish I were in the land of year around golf as you are. Unfortunately, our golf in my part of Illinois ends in early November and doesn't start up again until early April. This year, I expect my first round of golf will be April 5th as we have a tee reservation at Timberlake Golf Club on Lake Murray, SC. Why there? Because that's where we're staying for a couple days in order to attend the Monday practice round at the Masters. YIPPEE!!!
    (Note: For those not into golf, this means absolutely nothing.)
  • Mick1127
    Options
    I forgot to mention a wonderful success this past week. I had to buy a belt the next size smaller. When I started this journey on 12/27/14, I was having an argument with my slacks (38" waist) as to how much they really wanted to stretch for me to continue wearing them before moving to a 40" waist. Well, during this journey I have set all those slacks aside (ready for the local clothes closet) in favor of 36" waist slacks. While buying the belt I thought I would see how close I am to buying a complete new set of 34" waist slacks. If my calculations are correct, that should take place in about mid May. A year or 2 ago my wife made a buying mistake and inadvertently bought me a size Large golf shirt vs. the XL I have worn for years. I wore it yesterday and it fit just fine. I'm really beginning to like this thinner me.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Just AWESOME Mick ... a lot of your numbers sound strangely familiar, as they parallel my own, but I've not yet moved into the smaller diameter slacks -- maybe I should try to hop into the next size down and see who whistles! (?)

Great to hear your good truths there Mick... & congratulations
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Good job, Mick!! And Stan (making assumptions on names here!) -- let us know when you try on "other" pants -- your pals here will be happy to clap and whistle for you!! wink:
  • Mick1127
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos; but..................

I just had a really rude awakening. As I mentioned to my wife just a little while ago, suicide by drowning might be in my future. OMG!!! My Medicare advantage plan offers a free "Silver Sneakers" membership. In my case, the closest facility to use it at is about 10 miles away. I have an exercise cycle in our spare bedroom; but, it only works the legs. I want to do a bit of toning on my upper body so I thought swimming laps would be a great, low impact way to gain some upper body strength, gain some flexibility for the golf course, and be a wonderful cardio exercise as well. At age 69 what I had forgotten is the fact it's probably been at least 35 - 40 years since I have actually swum a lap. Sure, I've been in a pool and at the beach in those years (although not often). But, those ventures involve standing and playing in the water vs. actually swimming for swimming's sake. Today's trip to the pool involved swimming a lap, resting, swimming a lap, resting, etc. My immediate goal is to swim 2 consecutive laps without feeling as though the devil, himself, is trying to yank my lungs out of my chest. I think a good long term goal might be to swim 10 consecutive laps and then be able to actually stand on solid ground afterwards without collapsing. This is going to be an adventure. I hope to get to the pool 3 or 4 times a week.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »

I just had a really rude awakening. As I mentioned to my wife just a little while ago, suicide by drowning might be in my future. OMG!!! My Medicare advantage plan offers a free "Silver Sneakers" membership. In my case, the closest facility to use it at is about 10 miles away. I have an exercise cycle in our spare bedroom; but, it only works the legs. I want to do a bit of toning on my upper body so I thought swimming laps would be a great, low impact way to gain some upper body strength, gain some flexibility for the golf course, and be a wonderful cardio exercise as well. At age 69 what I had forgotten is the fact it's probably been at least 35 - 40 years since I have actually swum a lap. Sure, I've been in a pool and at the beach in those years (although not often). But, those ventures involve standing and playing in the water vs. actually swimming for swimming's sake. Today's trip to the pool involved swimming a lap, resting, swimming a lap, resting, etc. My immediate goal is to swim 2 consecutive laps without feeling as though the devil, himself, is trying to yank my lungs out of my chest. I think a good long term goal might be to swim 10 consecutive laps and then be able to actually stand on solid ground afterwards without collapsing. This is going to be an adventure. I hope to get to the pool 3 or 4 times a week.

Congrats, on all the accomplishments. Even the swimming :). And BTW, I "golfed" a 5 under in Wii golf :). Does that count? Lol
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to swim laps, but I want to learn.
  • triciavetter
    triciavetter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This looks like a great support group! I really need help! Every week I get motivated to eat better and to exercise and by mid week I'm done. I'm tired of never sticking to a program. I love to cook and I am always trying new healthy recipes, but then on days that I am too tired to think after work, I just want to pick up fast food and veg out in front of the TV. The next day I am disgusted with myself. I also love to drink wine and that lowers my resolve in the evenings even if I did good all day. What I really would like is a support group of people to chat with... maybe I can circumvent the over eating at night. And would really love to find someone who lives in the Oceanside CA area that wants to be my work out buddy at LA Fitness or walk at the beach. I do better when I am accountable to someone else. I'm open to all ideas-- thanks for your time.
  • Mick1127
    Options
    I do better when I am accountable to someone else. I'm open to all ideas-- thanks for your time.

I also joined the following group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10097073/march-2015-weight-loss-challenge#latest

Obviously, it starts a new group each month. Like this group, there is support there. However, that group is really more just posting your goal for the month and then checking in on a weekly basis to report how you've managed to do during the previous week. What I found is it makes me put in print what I want to accomplish. When I don't reach my goal I have to be a bit introspective to find out why. When I do make my goal I want to also determine what I did right. The bottom line is I feel it makes me more accountable to myself as I've put my goal out there for everyone to see; and, I'm more inclined to want to succeed rather than fail.

I find this group (50+) to be more supportive by its nature and the other group to make me feel more accountable to myself. It's a nice combination for the way my mind processes things.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @Triciavetter Start with one thing. Work on that until you get it down, then work on the next thing. Don't try to do everything at once.

I've probably already shared most of this, but anyway, here's my story:

A few years ago, I strained my back doing something that I'd done a hundred times before without issues. When I went to the doctor, I weighed in at 201 and my bp was high. The doctor looked me in the eyes and said, "You are borderline morbidly obese. Things like this will continue to happen until you lose some weight."

I found mfp and dove in. I started with logging everything I ate, the good, the bad, the ugly, everything. This led to me learning how much I was actually eating before and what a portion really looked like. I found lower calorie alternatives for foods I love (Fiber One 90 calorie brownies, for example.) I don't deprive myself of anything. I drink wine or beer regularly and hardly a day goes by that I don't have chocolate of some kind. (I usually make it fit in my calories but not always.) I allow myself a higher calorie day at least once a week. I learned to not eat the entire meal when we go out to eat. (I almost always get a to go box immediately and save some for later.)

I started walking and riding a bicycle. (Find something you enjoy doing and do it.) As I became more comfortable with walking (and hit a plateau), I added running (Couch to 5k). It took me about 18 months to get to my goal weight (over 65 lbs lost) and I've kept it off for almost that long. I like running and LOVE riding my bicycle. Being short and older, there isn't much wiggle room in the maintenance calories. I exercise more, so I can eat more.

If I did this, you can too!
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    55....lost over 100lbs. Would like to be part of this group
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »

I too recently started swimming, @Mick1127. It's been over 30 years since I did any pool workouts and it took a good half dozen visits to the pool to start tying laps together. I think getting the breathing back under control is the hardest part and takes some practice. I'm not at ten consecutive laps yet, but getting there. Goal is to be able to swim a mile non-stop. That's 1760 yards, or just over 70 laps.

I always try to get in a lane nearest the lifeguard. Although they may have difficulty figuring out whether I'm in death throes or just doing my usual drowning rhino stroke.

Feels great afterward, though, and it's a heckuva calorie burn.
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 49 soon to be 50! Can I still join? Always kinda been a fitness buff. Got lazy for a few years but trying to get back on track! Got about 10 lbs to lose & tone up some. Add me so I can have more accountability!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    MommyL, Sherri and Tricia , welcome ! Jump right in and start posting. I'm on here a lot :). Others post often also. Glad to have you in the group.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    55....lost over 100lbs. Would like to be part of this group

Lost over 100!!! You're awesome :)
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    I'm "off" on my workouts, as I had a sinus infection, then went out of town for several days to see family. I'm tired from a long day at work, and want to get to bed early, so I was just thinking "I'll get back to my routine tomorrow" -- then I decided to get off my rear and do SOMETHING, even if it's only 10-15 min. of strength training. So, off I go! :) Have a good night, all!
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks butbygrace!
  • leutloff1988
    leutloff1988 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Would LOVE to be part of the group. I'm 54 year old female who has fortunately reached her weight goal. Now I need help with motivation to stay active. End of last year was running 15-20 mile per week. This year, no more then 10. I also love to lift. Someone out there please be kind and help me whip my rear back into shape. Thx