Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm 55 and want to lose 65 pounds. I used MFP in the past but lost my motivation after my business partner and good friend died last August. I did a lot of emotional eating. I've been back in the groove for the last five days with eating and exercise. I'd like to join the group.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your loss, Happy Trails -- that has to be very difficult. Very glad you're back! smile And welcome to you, leutloff!!
  • beachgal0626
    Options
    ^^^^ where did my smiley go?! smile:
  • beachgal0626
    Options
    One more time . . . . . :smile:
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    One more time . . . . . :smile:
    You crack me up !
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Welcome happy trails and leutloff.
  • auntannette1
    auntannette1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your inspiring words.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your inspiring words.
    Do the only true Motor City proud @auntannette1‌ ... Where do you ski that's so flat?

• PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for staying under calorie at the dinner hour? I do okay most of the day but haven't got the, I don't need to eat that much at the end of the day attitude yet!
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    Any suggestions for staying under calorie at the dinner hour? I do okay most of the day but haven't got the, I don't need to eat that much at the end of the day attitude yet!
    My best suggestion, if you like them, is depend upon white seedless grapes for your evening snacks. 10 oz. of grapes is about 140 calories. To me, that's a pretty hefty snack. I just find grapes to be filling. Additionally, there isn't anything bad in what you're eating. Of course, if you feel about grapes as I feel about cottage cheese, you'll have to find something else you like that is filling with a relatively small calorie count.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I used to eat huge evening meals, going back for seconds and often more. I'm far from any kind of expert, but I have discovered a couple of things that seem to be working for me lately.
    * An afternoon snack of 100-150 cals seems to keep my appetite down at dinner. Even just eating a single fig bar right when I get home from work can be enough.
    * If I'm still feeling like I need to eat more, an after-dinner snack of air-popped popcorn does a good job. You can pack a lot of volume for very few cals. I've been having luck cutting down the butter bit by bit, sometimes replacing partly with a little Parmesan and just a dash of cayenne. I love spicy food and it seems to satisfy more than bland stuff.
  • celesteanne1964
    celesteanne1964 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, my name is Celeste, I'm 50, Mother of 4, and Grandmother of 4, I have diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, I've been heavy for several years now, I'm looking for support to get healthy and reverse my health conditions, I want to lose the weight for good, I intend to live to be old and sassy. I want to be 50 and fabulous not 50 and fat. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm A 54 yr old female and would love to join this group. I have 3 teenagers and a DH. I have 30 lbs left to loose. I've lost 16.8 lbs on my own since I began this journey in September, but I really need some support to keep me going
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Welcome Italy and Celeste !
  • butbygrace206
    Options

I also eat something snacky when I get home from work. It helps me not pig out at supper. Another thing I do is, put away the food as soon as I get my plate. I find that I don't want to take the effort to get it out of the fridge if I'm desiring more.

Mick, I love grapes! I even freeze them
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I usually have an afternoon snack (yogurt, granola bar, fruit, or such). I also started using a smaller plate or bowl for dinner. Helps me with portion control. I try to have enough calories left for an after dinner snack as well, just in case I still feel hungry.
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Mick, I love grapes! I even freeze them
    I've never frozen grapes. In my house, they don't have a life expectancy long enough to warrant freezing. BTW, aren't the little buggers difficult to chew when frozen? lol!
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    annem6806 wrote: »
    Hi all. New here too. I'll be 54 next month. Have lost 88 lbs. thus far, have about 140 to go. I've been really enjoying reading your posts and look forward to making some new friends. "One day at a time" has been my motto since beginning this journey last August and, by the grace of God, it's worked for me. Hope everyone has a great day. Check back later. A*

That's amazing! Big high 5 to you! It is "one day at a time" and I'm on the journey too :)

Thanks, butbygrace206. And yes, we're all on this amazing journey that leads us to a healthier life!
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips! I will incorporate them into my afternoon and evenings! I know a lot of this journey is also a mental thing and I am working on that too. Believe me I won't starve if I miss a meal or 2 even!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @PegJens‌ Sometimes hunger is more about what you're eating than not eating -- When I find myself in that "HUNGRY" place, I'll look toward eating stuff that kinda "lingers" a bit longer (you hear about drinking water and eating fiber, but more than that) .

I'll go for carbs with low glycemic index values ('slow carbs') and look for similarly slow protein, or better, combine the two (like beans - slow-carb with protein locked in there).

For the Sweet craving, there are slow-carb fruits: cherries, plums, grapefruit, apples, grapes, oranges -- some have a bunch of calories for their "filling factor", but they can help to address your sweet-tooth and keep it tamed for a while.

Most often I dive into the protein/carb world with either cottage cheese (a sodium pit for me though), or other dairy protein sources (casein proteins stick around much longer for me than egg, whey, chicken, steak, or other sources)...

Beans are the old standby 'filler-upper' and just may be magic in more ways than one (kidney, lentil, and navy all work for me) --

Working a few of these into the evening meal and enjoying a slow meal with plenty of hydration may be enough to keep you fuller longer.