Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• audra54321
    audra54321 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in my last year of 50s and have lost about 25 pounds slowly. I have about 80 to go but I have been unwilling to eat in my calorie range and have become discouraged with not losing in the last two months. I am exercising almost every day, biking & swimming. I need to lose this weight for my knees which have osteoarthritis and no cushion. The lighter I am and the stronger my quads are the better it will be for me.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Audra, and good job on losing 25 lbs.! Hang in there, you can do it!
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    audra54321 wrote: »
    I am in my last year of 50s and have lost about 25 pounds slowly. I have about 80 to go but I have been unwilling to eat in my calorie range and have become discouraged with not losing in the last two months. I am exercising almost every day, biking & swimming. I need to lose this weight for my knees which have osteoarthritis and no cushion. The lighter I am and the stronger my quads are the better it will be for me.

Welcome !! I know you can do this. You have lost 25, now just climb back on the healthy wagon and let the party begin :)
  • Nursebnrn
    Nursebnrn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 51 and looking to lose 35 pounds It's frustrating, as I was never heavy until my thirties and haven't been able to get rid of it. Looking for others to help inspire me.
  • beachgal0626
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to a good place for inspiration, motivation and lots of information/good ideas. This is an excellent site!
  • sharonrfarnsworth
    Options
    69 here! Started my lifestyle change feb 23, 2015. Have lost 24 pounds with my fitness pal. Actually gave sugar up two weeks before starting the change because as we all know its an addiction. Eating low fat and carbs, and high protein. Have one cheat meal on the weekend but am now finding I don't even crave that as much anymore. I have added walking to my plan.
  • sharonrfarnsworth
    Options
    Forgot to add, changed myeating style because doc said I was pre diabetic, and we can't have that! I have 25 more lbs to go!
  • beachgal0626
    Options
    Welcome, Sharon, and great job on the weight loss so far!!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Welcome to the new "faces"! Great group of supporters here!
  • Harborsailor
    Options
    What an energetic and uplifting group! Have really enjoyed reading these posts!
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    audra54321 wrote: »
    I have about 80 to go but I have been unwilling to eat in my calorie range and have become discouraged with not losing in the last two months.
    Audra, I think you've stated why you haven't lost in the past 2 months. However, even if you don't eat in your calorie range, you can lose if your net calories after exercise are within the range. It may be a small adjustment is needed in reigning in the calories or doing a bit more exercise, or a combination of both. If you log 100% honestly what you're doing, I'm betting the light will shine and show you what to do. You CAN do it!!!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Summer is just around the corner, what are your goals for the month of May?

My goals for May:
    1. Lose at least 5 pounds
    2. Utilize my elliptical 3 days a week
    3. Light weight program 3 days a week
    4. Stop snacking after 7PM

MFP - Fifty plus (or so) Support Group
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

My goals for May:

I'm hoping to make it through May without logging food and maintaining my current weight. I also want to keep up activity with running 3 days and riding 3 days per week (as time allows.)
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options

My goals:
    * continue losing fat
    * swim a mile without stopping
    * get s**t done!
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options

My goals for May:

My goals for May:
    1. Lose 5 pounds!
    2. Walk at least 2 miles every other day.
    3. Get my garden in better fashion!
  • butbygrace206
    Options

My goals for May:

1. Lose 7 pounds. I wanted to lose 40 pounds before the wedding and this will put me petty close :)
    2. Even though my work days are extremely long, I want to get some kind of exercise in each day. Even if it's 10 min of fast walking.
    3. Eat out as little as possible.
    4. Enjoy the preparing the last few things, for the wedding, with my daughter.
  • butbygrace206
    Options

My goals for May:

1. Lose 7 pounds. I wanted to lose 40 pounds before the wedding and this will put me petty close :)
    2. Even though my work days are extremely long, I want to get some kind of exercise in each day. Even if it's 10 min of fast walking.
    3. Eat out as little as possible.
    4. Enjoy the preparing the last few things, for the wedding, with my daughter.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Oops posted it twice
  • pchenley
    pchenley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just popping in because I find myself needing support. I have lost 41 lbs so far, but find myself slipping back into some old habits and then feeling crappy afterwards. I need to get myself back on track again, but dang it's hard! Any motivational support would be greatly appreciated! I am 52 years old and currently unemployed. I think I will be able to do a lot better once I can get back to work, but for now, I find myself struggling again. :(
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome pchenley!

The loss of 41 pounds is a wonderful achievement. I think you'll find this to be a warm and caring group. There is a lot of inspiration and motivation to be found here and in the group threads as well. I hope the job market opens up for you soon. What type of work did you do in the past?