• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    Options
    64 here.... I would like to join...

67 here. Me too, but how do we do that?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there Terri! This is a really supportive group getting more active by the day! Feel free to tell us a little about yourself and chime in anytime you want :) If you bookmark the thread (mark the star) you'll get notified when posts are made and it's easy to find us again!
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Okay , so water ? I used a formula that our vet gave me, chatting while getting the horses teeth floated, but anyway, by that formula I should be drinking a swimming pool. How do you know how much water ?

Guess I need a bit more water. I have a 22 oz bottle that I try to fill 5 times while at work and was thinking that was enough. But there is still "color" there :).

Congrats, sandcastle, on the pedometer. I was thinking of downloading an app and still may soon. Just started some of the exercises that was posted on here yesterday.

Welcome all that are new :)
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think I might be able to figure out how to get back here. I posted last on Feb 3. I'm glad I re-found the thread tonight. Everyone seems so nice. :smiley:

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the gym today. After a good workout, I love the massage chair or the hydro-jet massage.

I hope to be here more often and try to get to know people.
    Amy in Jacksonville, FL
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group as well....I'm 57, lost 40 pounds in the last year with a goal to lose the last 15 this summer. I really need the support this group seems to give each other!
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome PegJens! It's great to have friends on this journey, especially when you're just starting out.

I'm not much of an exerciser myself and focused first on getting my food and logging together. Without doing much more than regular daily living activities I've still managed to lose 13 pounds. My next focus is actually figuring out where I am with my daily walking steps and the "intentional" exercise I throw in. So, sit down everyone...... I bought a pedometer today! Yep, the old fashioned stick it on your waistband kind B)

For my next 10 pounds I'm going to try to get in the habit of putting in my steps and whatnot, but definitely am NOT eating back the calories at this stage. I guess I consider it more my every day living activities that are already accounted for. If I do that for my next 10 pounds I am hoping I'll have developed some type of exercise habit and branch out to the infamous weight training for my final 10 o:)

Best intentions aside, when I enter maintenance this time I should have not only my food and logging down to a science, but my exercise and weight training will (hopefully) be habits for me ❤ Well, that's the best plan I can come up with today anyways :)

• suesupermom2015
    Options
    50 here love to join the group :)
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the food logging and really need to get my portion control in line. It's so easy just to scoop and go! Any ideas for this?

You all have some really good suggestions and I'm excited to say I found out today that 2 coworkers are using this program also! Pays to keep your eyes open!

• Tiso2
    Tiso2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! So happy to be a part of this group. We can be stronger together, guaranteed
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    I think I might be able to figure out how to get back here. I posted last on Feb 3. I'm glad I re-found the thread tonight. Everyone seems so nice. :smiley:

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the gym today. After a good workout, I love the massage chair or the hydro-jet massage.

I hope to be here more often and try to get to know people.
    Amy in Jacksonville, FL

Welcome back Amy! So glad you found us again :) Gotta say when I get brave enough for the strength training I'm definitely signing up for the massage after :D. That's awesome, and ALMOST makes thinking about exercise move up on my list LOL
    jharwell58 wrote: »
    I would like to join this group as well....I'm 57, lost 40 pounds in the last year with a goal to lose the last 15 this summer. I really need the support this group seems to give each other![/quote

Awesome loss jharwell!!! I know everyone will be absolutely 100% behind you for those last 15 :D
    50 here love to join the group :)

Welcome Sue :D
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    I've been doing the food logging and really need to get my portion control in line. It's so easy just to scoop and go! Any ideas for this?

You all have some really good suggestions and I'm excited to say I found out today that 2 coworkers are using this program also! Pays to keep your eyes open!
    That is awesome you have a couple of coworkers to support you every day, Peg! I think when it comes to portion control everyone will tell you it's almost imperative to weigh and measure everything before you eat it and log absolutely everything you put in your mouth. Even if it's a stick of gum! Some use fancy digital scales, but you can use a regular food scale too if it shows ounces and grams. Those can be found for under $10 at any store that has housewares. They also say you get better results by weighing everything but liquids (use measuring cups for those) , because we all know we can pack a measuring cup full and unintentionally eat more than we count. Butbygrace discovered after she started logging 3 weeks or so ago she had been getting extra calories by tasting as she was cooking for instance. It all adds up when we're trying to find our calorie deficit sweet spot.

The other thing that I personally find important is to check my macros (the calorie percentage assigned to carbs/ fats /protein) both daily and weekly totals every time I enter a food item during the day! I try to preplan and prelog my next days meals, checking to make sure my nutrition values stay within my macro percentages. If not, for instance I may notice too many carbs if I have a full cup of mashed potatoes for dinner, but I'm okay with 1/2 cup, so I make the adjustment. Or if I'm just plain over because I want a muffin for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch or if i'm just close on carbs maybe I'll make cauliflower rice instead. Or perhaps I decide during the day I just have to have a bowl of strawberries instead of a yogurt. You just preenter it and see where you fall. If it puts you over somewhere, maybe you decide the yogurt is okay after all and put the bowl of berries in as a treat the next day.

It takes some fiddling around for the first few weeks, but you figure out pretty quick what 4 oz of a certain food actually looks like and what substitutions you should make.

The most important thing to remember is to eat the foods you enjoy so you stick with it, making healthy substitutions where you can and maybe eating just a smaller portion of your must have :)

And drink your water o:) I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences and tips too, but don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions as you get started. If we don't know the answer, we can surely help you find it and learn something to help ourselves along the way <3

• Sandcastles61
    Options
    Tiso2 wrote: »
    Welcome everyone! So happy to be a part of this group. We can be stronger together, guaranteed

That's a fact :D. The last time I did MFP I didn't join into the community and... Well here I am again <3. This time I think we all have the mindset this is NOT a diet, but a lifestyle change and we are all in for the long haul :D
  • smoochy65
    smoochy65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends!

I am 49 y/o female.
    Proud to have 36 consistent days tracking!
    5'5"
    SW 160
    CW156.8
    GW 136

It is coming off Slowly. I decided my body just figured out we are dieting because I finally lost 2lbs this week. But, I also have not gained any weight!

I wish hot flashes burned calories.

We can do this!
  • dlhollin1
    dlhollin1 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 in December. I want to get healthy and enjoy my fifties. I don't want the risk of diebetes, High BP, etc. to haunt me any longer. Please friend me and lets all get fit for fifty.. thanks.
  • Tiso2
    Tiso2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    dlhollin1 wrote: »
    I just turned 50 in December. I want to get healthy and enjoy my fifties. I don't want the risk of diebetes, High BP, etc. to haunt me any longer. Please friend me and lets all get fit for fifty.. thanks.

Happy Belated Birthday! The road to Fit is indeed better with plus one or more. Sending Friend Request
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am new to this app and still trying to figure out how to use it. I don't know how to ask for friends but will gladly accept them (got that figured out) :). I need to email some recipes to a friend on here and haven't gotten that figured out yet either. But feel free to ask and I will accept.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Jharwell58 – Congratulations! If you picture is any indication, I love biking too!

Smoochy65 – Way to go! Sometimes it just takes time, but if you are eating well, logging, and moving, you’re good!

Butbygrace206 – Saw your comment about sending recipes… when you look at the “reply” box the 9th icon from the left that looks like a page with the top right hand corner folded down is the “Attach image/file” icon. That should work!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    New to the "community" thing but need some motivation to exercise! Definitely fit in this group at 57. Need to lose about 75 lbs and hate to exercise.

I hate to exercise, too, but I've found that a lot of the Fitness Blender routines (YouTube) are short, sweet, and to the point. They have everything from beginner to really advanced.

Another good workout is Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds (also available on YouTube).

JessicaSmithTV (again, YouTube) has a variety of at-home workouts to do.

The hardest part for me is getting motivated, but once I start, I really enjoy the workout.

I'm nearly 52 and also have about 75 lbs to lose.
  • robinmilbynunn
    Options
    I'm a 56 year old female, and struggling like everyone else but decided I'm tired of my body aching and determined to loose 50 lbs to prove to myself I CAN, lol and to feel better and look better. So nice to see others on here and have some support !! :-) Getting older and trying to loose is much harder. I started wearing a step counter as of today and hoping to start daily walking to help with exercise and maybe speed up this sluggish metabolism. I posted photos of myself when I was thinner on my phone to help motivate me to stick with it! So hoping these little things will keep me motivated just like hoping we can motivate each other. :) so love to join this group!! :-)
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Welcome Tekkichick and Robin :D

I start today's post with a "little" back story ~ you see I come from a big Italian family (and by that I mean my daddy is the youngest of 10, so you can envision our holiday celebrations around my grandparents table growing up <3 ) My grandma and aunties always told me how special I was and that good things come in small packages..... because, well we top out at just a scootch under 5' on a good day ;)

This morning I was greeted by joyous sunshine and I jumped out of bed, slapped on my new pedometer and set out to have a fabulous day...... Last night I went to the effort to measure out my stride length and I was set to conquer this walking issue!!! Fast forward a little while and I looked down to see my amazing walking numbers jumping off the screen...... Huh???? 2109..... 0.63 miles???? Suddenly, yesterday's water calculation discussion popped into my head!

Raise your hand if you've been conditioned to believe 2000 steps equals 1 mile = 100 cal, and we need to hit our 10,000 steps a day to reach 5 miles~ which totals 500 calories???? Me, Me!!

Welcome to my world! I just went online and found 2 websites... 1) to calculate the rough average steps per mile based upon height, 2) a calculation based upon those steps per mile, your weight and total steps taken to obtain distance and total calories burned..... You're gonna want to send me some tissue here:

5' ~ 2514 steps per mile!
    10,000 steps~ 135 lbs ~ 3.97 mi ~ 293 cal
    13,500 steps~ " ~ 5.36 mi~ 395 cal
    15,000 steps~ " ~ 5.96 mi ~ 439 cal
    16,500 steps~ " ~ 6.56 mi ~ 483 cal
    17,000 steps~ " ~ 6.76 mi ~ 498 cal

Well I have GREAT news for our tall and handsome fellas, because they are probably underestimating their calorie burn :) But for the majority of us, by using the standard calculation we once again are unintentionally overestimating our exercise calories :s

I don't want to be "special" anymore <3