Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    smoochy65 wrote: »
    I am bound and determined! Today is day 42 of my streak! This is my third time trying to be consistent with MFP.

I have lost a whopping total of 3.8lbs now. Only 20 left to go. It has been very difficult. I am really sure it's the whole change of life problem I am also dealing with. I've read with interest the posts about the different hormone treatments people have tried. I am researching local help. In the meantime...

I marched myself up and down 10 seriously long flights of stairs - twice today! I find it hard to squeeze in the 10k steps with my job, so I am trying to maximize the difficulty in the most efficient way possible.

I am also focused on keeping these habits going and I REFUSE to let my recalcitrant body hold me back! I will PREVAIL!!

Yay!!! When the mind is made up then you will prevail. Just remember to log every bite and drink that goes in your mouth. I was so amazed how quickly those little bites added up. I had a habit of tasting everything while I was cooking. Wow, that was a huge amount of calories. Now I log everything (even gum ) and I'm more aware of calories.

You will succeed :)

• PegJens
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone! I had a peanut butter cookie last night and can honestly say it didn't taste that good! I guess that means I'm on the right track. Any ideas when going out for supper after getting most of your calories in early? I try to eat salads but that is not always an option where we go.
  • meghan59
    Options
    Hi I am a new member is this chat active?
  • NuryRodriguez35
    Options
    Hi everyone! This group looks awesome! Brooklyn,NY
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    meghan59 wrote: »
    Hi I am a new member is this chat active?

Yes, it sure is! Welcome :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I had a peanut butter cookie last night and can honestly say it didn't taste that good! I guess that means I'm on the right track. Any ideas when going out for supper after getting most of your calories in early? I try to eat salads but that is not always an option where we go.

Something high in protein? I think that's what I would do anyway
  • clintonwlanier
    Options
    laurieg933 wrote: »
    I 60 with 70 to loose. I certainly could use the friends and support. I am a widow and live alone so there's no excuse for falling off the wagon, but also no support either. I have done really well so far, but have a very long road ahead.

Hello Laurie. I am also 60 (actually 61) with 65 to lose. It is easier than I had anticipated. This app helps me quite a bit. Really useful.

I need to be able to fit in my old wetsuit again. Also, I am 25 pounds over the max recommended for my paddleboard. Trying for 2 pounds per week. How goes with you?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday everyone :D. Welcome to all the newcomers..... The chat is active, some days more than others, so feel free to chime in and check~ in often :) bookmark it (mark the little star) and you'll easily find us again!

It's been a busy week, but I've stayed focused on getting/ keeping my calories and macros in line. I'm determined too smoochy :)

Haven't done as well remembering my new little friend the pedometer LOL. I either forget it, or keep bumping my hip and resetting the dang thing :s Saw my oldest son yesterday and he was super encouraging with my progress to date and my plan moving forward..... For each of the next 2.5 lbs I'm adding 50 cal /day. That way by the time I ultimately reach maintenance I should be within 50 to 100 cal of my maintenance amount but will hopefully avoid a dramatic flux like in the past when I'd suddenly up it by 2~300 cal /day..... Fingers crossed and I guess I'll see how it plays out <3

Bad news is he told me I really did have to get going on adding in some body weight strength exercises.... HAHAHA, he got a big kick out of Standenvernet's post last week :D Maybe next week LOL

Hope you all are having a fabulous week <3

Tami
  • Sandcastles61
    Options

Hi PegJens~ You can always ask for a plate of steamed fresh vegetables. A squeeze of lemon really brings out veggie's flavors. One restaurant I go to actually has a streamed vegetable dish in their entrees and it's terrific! I also order off the appetizer menu to keep portions smaller, and for me personally I'd rather go over on protein and keep extra carbs & fats down.... You get a lot of good nutrients from steamed or grilled white fish for about 135 cal (6 oz portion), 30 protein, 0 carbs, 0.8 fat.... Enjoy :)
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm 60 plus and still trying to lose weight. I gained about 25 pounds over the last year or so. Doesn't sound like much but I was overweight before I put them on. Now I'm starting to have health problems so I really need to do something. I just joined and started changing my life last December. I've been doing pretty good so far. I'm looking forward to sharing with everyone. I hope I'm posting thjs in the right spot. I don't know how to join a group.
  • PegJens
    Options
    We go to Texas Road House and I have ordered their veggie plat but it seems to be steeped in butter. Guess I need to look a little harder at the menus. Or just figure out I don't need that much and take some home for the next day!

Hi PegJens~ You can always ask for a plate of steamed fresh vegetables. A squeeze of lemon really brings out veggie's flavors. One restaurant I go to actually has a streamed vegetable dish in their entrees and it's terrific! I also order off the appetizer menu to keep portions smaller, and for me personally I'd rather go over on protein and keep extra carbs & fats down.... You get a lot of good nutrients from steamed or grilled white fish for about 135 cal (6 oz portion), 30 protein, 0 carbs, 0.8 fat.... Enjoy :)

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    We go to Texas Road House and I have ordered their veggie plat but it seems to be steeped in butter. Guess I need to look a little harder at the menus. Or just figure out I don't need that much and take some home for the next day!

While I don't fear butter, I totally agree that a lot of what we find as "healthier options" look fine on the menu but come to the table loaded with stuff like butters and salts. I rarely have presence of mind to ask that the extra stuff (butter, sauces, salt) be left off or served on the side, which doesn't help my position at all. I can only offer that I feel your pain here, BUT... (always a butt, isn't there?)

PegJens you hit on my personal kryptonite when you mentioned, "just figure out I don't need that much and take some home"; I SUCK at left-overs in all regards. How do you (and the other folks here) :
    1. How do you figure out what "enough" is when you're at the table (some people I've asked just eat 'half', and other's have some sense of 'enough')?
    2. How long do you feel "safe" leaving left-overs sitting in the car (easier in winter, but just in general?) Kinda as a food-safety thing?
    I'm just trying to get over this little personal 'issue' with how to size and care for leftovers, and can't seem to make up my mind. Most often, I'll just leave uneaten food at the restaurant, but it seems such a waste (sharing is usually not an option as I most often eat alone)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I would ask for a to go box when I ordered my food at a restaurant. When the food came, I'd immediately put half in the box for later. I'm to the point now where I can stop myself from eating everything in sight.
  • bjswice
    bjswice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Time to get myself going again with My Fitness Pal!!
  • snowdoggy
    snowdoggy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and ready to lose weight and get healthy AGAIN. I've probably lost a thousand pounds in my lifetime and keep gaining it back. I am starting this one with a new attitude. I've always gone to the gym but always had a million excuses not to go. My new attitude will be to do the most I can do at the gym; not the least. I am ready to log the food on a daily basis and really do this.

Who is with me???
  • Tiso2
    Tiso2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I would ask for a to go box when I ordered my food at a restaurant. When the food came, I'd immediately put half in the box for later. I'm to the point now where I can stop myself from eating everything in sight.

Just wanted to say your profile pic is awesome!
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Hey there everyone, and welcome all the newcomers :) We had a death in our family so it's been a hectic week and I've been a little MIA on posting, but it's great to see so many new people!

Despite it all I've had a good week foodwise and we were able to do our Friday night swim tonight, so overall I think it's been a good week on the weight loss front. I keep either forgetting my new little pedometer friend, or bump my hip and reset the darn thing so that's something I need to work on over the next week so I make it a habit and get those steps logged!!

Uugh on the exercise front..... I've made the mind switch it's time to move forward on the strengthening and stretching so I'm starting that Monday (my weigh in day), and the first week in March (the following week) I'm going to move to two days of swimming a week! I'm ready ;) It's a nice low impact workout and I really feel great after I've been in the pool!

I need to make a list so we can start checking in with everyone more! Make sure you bookmark the thread, and share with us how you're doing <3

Hope your week was terrific and your weekend amazing :D

Tami
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hello! Jumping in with my two cents. Been here awhile, have lost 64 pounds (47 of it after joining MFP). I am 60, quite active, and not ready to slow down yet! I really enjoy reading the community forums. Using MFP, I have successfully lost more weight than with any other methods I have tried, for longer than I've ever done, (as in not gaining back),and I'm hoping to lose at least another 25 pounds or so. A big milestone for me was reaching Onederland ( getting below 200 into the 100's) as I hadn't seen that in over 25 years. I don't mind growing older, as I feel and look better than I have in years! And more energy!

For those who cruise, some fun threads to read that might inspire, motivate, or at least entertain you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10052379/unexpected-results-of-weight-loss/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10087100/what-nobody-tells-you-about-losing-weight/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10087100/what-nobody-tells-you-about-losing-weight/p1
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Hey there everyone, and welcome all the newcomers :) We had a death in our family so it's been a hectic week and I've been a little MIA on posting, but it's great to see so many new people!

Despite it all I've had a good week foodwise and we were able to do our Friday night swim tonight, so overall I think it's been a good week on the weight loss front. I keep either forgetting my new little pedometer friend, or bump my hip and reset the darn thing so that's something I need to work on over the next week so I make it a habit and get those steps logged!!

Uugh on the exercise front..... I've made the mind switch it's time to move forward on the strengthening and stretching so I'm starting that Monday (my weigh in day), and the first week in March (the following week) I'm going to move to two days of swimming a week! I'm ready ;) It's a nice low impact workout and I really feel great after I've been in the pool!

I need to make a list so we can start checking in with everyone more! Make sure you bookmark the thread, and share with us how you're doing <3

Hope your week was terrific and your weekend amazing :D

Tami

So sorry for your loss. Will keep you in my prayers.

Will see how weigh in does on Monday. I haven't done horrible this week but the weather has put a damper on getting outside much. More snow today. I'm a bit jealous of your swimming :).

Have a great Saturday
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Morning everyone :) Recipe alert!! Check out this low cal, low carb, low fat pizza recipe idea!!!! It's crust is made with ground turkey or chicken! Supposedly much more tasty and satisfying than the cauliflower crust I've seen (but never tried LOL) .... I am so going to try this today <3

Cheesy Chicken and Herb Pizza

Crust:
    1 lb ground Chicken or Turkey (or other ground meat)
    1 TB Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp salt (I actually leave the salt out)
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
    1 egg white

Toppings:
    3/4 cup pizza or tomato sauce
    3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
    Optional Toppings: parmesan cheese and veggies (red onion, green peppers, olives, mushrooms, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with foil and spray with non-stick
    cooking spray or use parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the crust of the pizza.

Flatten crust out in a circular shape (or a rectangle) on the prepared baking pan. Crust should be about 1/8 inch thick. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven. Turn oven temperature up to 425 degrees.

Spread pizza saude over the crust and sprinkle with cheese over the top of sauce. Layer with additional toppings if desired. Place pizza back in the oven and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and toppings cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Cut pizza into 8 slices and enjoy!!

Makes 8 servings (1 slicer per serving)
    111 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1 g sugar, 17 g protein, 300 mg sodium

Recipe adapted from dashing dish

Hope you all have a super Saturday! I'm giving my house a clean, then I'm heading over to work on the other house.

I'll let you know how the pizza goes this afternoon :D

Tami