Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    Hello! Jumping in with my two cents. Been here awhile, have lost 64 pounds (47 of it after joining MFP). I am 60, quite active, and not ready to slow down yet! I really enjoy reading the community forums. Using MFP, I have successfully lost more weight than with any other methods I have tried, for longer than I've ever done, (as in not gaining back),and I'm hoping to lose at least another 25 pounds or so. A big milestone for me was reaching Onederland ( getting below 200 into the 100's) as I hadn't seen that in over 25 years. I don't mind growing older, as I feel and look better than I have in years! And more energy!

For those who cruise, some fun threads to read that might inspire, motivate, or at least entertain you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10052379/unexpected-results-of-weight-loss/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10087100/what-nobody-tells-you-about-losing-weight/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10087100/what-nobody-tells-you-about-losing-weight/p1

Congrats on your success! Loved the threads. One day I will post my 2 cents in them :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Morning everyone :) Recipe alert!! Check out this low cal, low carb, low fat pizza recipe idea!!!! It's crust is made with ground turkey or chicken! Supposedly much more tasty and satisfying than the cauliflower crust I've seen (but never tried LOL) .... I am so going to try this today <3

Cheesy Chicken and Herb Pizza

Crust:
    1 lb ground Chicken or Turkey (or other ground meat)
    1 TB Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp salt (I actually leave the salt out)
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
    1 egg white

Toppings:
    3/4 cup pizza or tomato sauce
    3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
    Optional Toppings: parmesan cheese and veggies (red onion, green peppers, olives, mushrooms, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with foil and spray with non-stick
    cooking spray or use parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the crust of the pizza.

Flatten crust out in a circular shape (or a rectangle) on the prepared baking pan. Crust should be about 1/8 inch thick. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven. Turn oven temperature up to 425 degrees.

Spread pizza saude over the crust and sprinkle with cheese over the top of sauce. Layer with additional toppings if desired. Place pizza back in the oven and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and toppings cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Cut pizza into 8 slices and enjoy!!

Makes 8 servings (1 slicer per serving)
    111 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1 g sugar, 17 g protein, 300 mg sodium

Recipe adapted from dashing dish

Hope you all have a super Saturday! I'm giving my house a clean, then I'm heading over to work on the other house.

I'll let you know how the pizza goes this afternoon :D

Tami

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Tami, pizza is on the menu for today! Tomorrow is weigh in so this seems like the perfect meal :) We have a foot of snow here so I can burn some calories shoveling and hopefully tomorrow's weigh in goes well :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Everyone needs to chime in on how they are doing. Successes? Struggles? Just vent? Whatever? :smiley:
  • furtamer
    furtamer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am 52 and would love to join the group. Need to lose 50 and stay on track
  • LOVINGCHANGE27
    LOVINGCHANGE27 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I will be 53 on Friday...boy where does the time go..lol. I need to lose 40lbs but right now ill take 5. I'm T2 diabetic that has just recently been prescribed cholesterol mediation. Its NOW for me!!!!! Looking forward to supporting & being supported.....Hi all. Its impossible to go backward so I will try to learn everyone as we go...
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everyone needs to chime in on how they are doing. Successes? Struggles? Just vent? Whatever? :smiley:

My details, reasoning, and approach to our shared journey are all in my profile, but here's where I am as of this past Friday (my check-in day).

23lbs down since before X-mas '14 :) (w00t!) mostly by just logging what I eat and trying to not exceed caloric limitations. Working on dropping another notch in my belt, and working a little bit with body weight exercise only... (link to 5 good exercises)
    9bb0ac35d6876be2e756e246ba545d38902d.jpg

• starrhulll
    starrhulll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I avoided temptation all day thanks to staying logged in to MFP and reading other people's motivation and success stories. (I was at work and kept thinking about a bag of cookies in my car. Fortunately, it's still there -- I left them alone.)
    Someone yesterday suggested a "just for today" approach to setting some diet/fitness goals, so I'm on board with that.
    Just for today, I will:
    - Track every bite that I eat
    - Drink lots of water
    - Bring mindfulness to the choices I make
    - Do 3 planks, some squats and wall push-ups to help build strength.
  • starrhulll
    starrhulll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh, and hello, all!
    I was 165 last July, got to 150 and have been holding steady there for about 4 months. Am on day #5 of working to lose another 25 lbs, at which point I should have a better BMI and meet my MD's hopes and expectations for shedding the excess body fat. It's super easy for me to avoid exercise, so I'm trying to fit in little bursts of walking and resistance exercises here & there throughout my day.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    starrhulll wrote: »
    Oh, and hello, all!
    I was 165 last July, got to 150 and have been holding steady there for about 4 months. Am on day #5 of working to lose another 25 lbs, at which point I should have a better BMI and meet my MD's hopes and expectations for shedding the excess body fat. It's super easy for me to avoid exercise, so I'm trying to fit in little bursts of walking and resistance exercises here & there throughout my day.
    starrhulll wrote: »
    Yesterday I avoided temptation all day thanks to staying logged in to MFP and reading other people's motivation and success stories. (I was at work and kept thinking about a bag of cookies in my car. Fortunately, it's still there -- I left them alone.)
    Someone yesterday suggested a "just for today" approach to setting some diet/fitness goals, so I'm on board with that.
    Just for today, I will:
    - Track every bite that I eat
    - Drink lots of water
    - Bring mindfulness to the choices I make
    - Do 3 planks, some squats and wall push-ups to help build strength.

Love this idea. Since today is almost over for me, I will post tomorrow what my daily goals will be :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options

My details, reasoning, and approach to our shared journey are all in my profile, but here's where I am as of this past Friday (my check-in day).

23lbs down since before X-mas '14 :) (w00t!) mostly by just logging what I eat and trying to not exceed caloric limitations. Working on dropping another notch in my belt, and working a little bit with body weight exercise only... (link to 5 good exercises)
    9bb0ac35d6876be2e756e246ba545d38902d.jpg

Still doing the morning exercises you posted :). They are getting easier :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Welcome all that are new here :smile:
  • unigoop
    unigoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well tomorrow is my weigh in. Has been a good two weeks just hope I dropped three pounds. Either way I feel great about how I have been doing. As long as I have not gained I will be ecstatic.
  • gkoopal
    gkoopal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am trying MFP one more time. I need to lose 25 pounds so badly. I commit to tracking every bite and walking 5x a week.
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good for you! As long as we are making progress it's a good day!
  • PegJens
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    New to the "community" thing but need some motivation to exercise! Definitely fit in this group at 57. Need to lose about 75 lbs and hate to exercise.
    I'm not a huge fan of exercise just to exercise -- to kinda paraphrase Sandcastles61, find something that you like doing that'll get you moving, and do that as "exercise". If you work at getting into a few new habits (like logging what you eat), you'll begin to see patterns of behavior that you can change to help you move toward your goals.

INMO, weight isn't really a good goal by itself since we'll all kinda dry-out and rot when we die (great weight loss, but not such a fun long-term plan!)... I like to think also of some of the reasons that I'd like to be lighter, and use those as goals along with the weight change.

I have some friends on fb and I started an exercise string challenge for us. Each day I add some different type of "move" for us to do. It is more for my benefit but they enjoy it also. Keeps me accountable! Seems to be working to motivate me anyway!
  • PegJens
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    We go to Texas Road House and I have ordered their veggie plat but it seems to be steeped in butter. Guess I need to look a little harder at the menus. Or just figure out I don't need that much and take some home for the next day!

While I don't fear butter, I totally agree that a lot of what we find as "healthier options" look fine on the menu but come to the table loaded with stuff like butters and salts. I rarely have presence of mind to ask that the extra stuff (butter, sauces, salt) be left off or served on the side, which doesn't help my position at all. I can only offer that I feel your pain here, BUT... (always a butt, isn't there?)

PegJens you hit on my personal kryptonite when you mentioned, "just figure out I don't need that much and take some home"; I SUCK at left-overs in all regards. How do you (and the other folks here) :
    1. How do you figure out what "enough" is when you're at the table (some people I've asked just eat 'half', and other's have some sense of 'enough')?
    2. How long do you feel "safe" leaving left-overs sitting in the car (easier in winter, but just in general?) Kinda as a food-safety thing?
    I'm just trying to get over this little personal 'issue' with how to size and care for leftovers, and can't seem to make up my mind. Most often, I'll just leave uneaten food at the restaurant, but it seems such a waste (sharing is usually not an option as I most often eat alone)

I have trouble leaving food on my plate as Mom always told us about the kids that had nothing to eat.....so I try to take about half of the food home. I figure I can always feed it to my outdoor cats if I don't eat it or feel it gets "bad" before I get home. But then I forget and eat it all or forget the to-go box on the table when I leave. I'm working on doing better about not eating out as often also. It's a work in progress!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Tiso2 wrote: »
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I would ask for a to go box when I ordered my food at a restaurant. When the food came, I'd immediately put half in the box for later. I'm to the point now where I can stop myself from eating everything in sight.

Just wanted to say your profile pic is awesome!
    Thanks! I'm finally at a place where I don't mind having my picture taken. I had to search to find a "before" shot!
    Successes- I ran 10 miles on Saturday. First time ever! I also weighed in on Sunday morning at my lowest weight so far. (1 lb below my ultimate goal weight.) I know that was a direct result of all the sweating I did on Saturday, but I'll take it! I'm still at the high end of healthy according to bmi (and the stubborn fat on my belly!) I'm not actively trying to lose anymore weight, but wouldn't object to being a few lbs lighter.

Struggled with the overwhelming urge to eat all the peanut butter yesterday. I did finish off what was left in the jar. I logged it as 4 tablespoons, but I'm pretty sure it was more than that! Oh well, today is a new day!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    unigoop wrote: »
    Well tomorrow is my weigh in. Has been a good two weeks just hope I dropped three pounds. Either way I feel great about how I have been doing. As long as I have not gained I will be ecstatic.

Big applause to Unigoop for a 7 lb loss over the past two weeks! Woohoo :D
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Tiso2 wrote: »
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I would ask for a to go box when I ordered my food at a restaurant. When the food came, I'd immediately put half in the box for later. I'm to the point now where I can stop myself from eating everything in sight.

Just wanted to say your profile pic is awesome!
    Thanks! I'm finally at a place where I don't mind having my picture taken. I had to search to find a "before" shot!
    Successes- I ran 10 miles on Saturday. First time ever! I also weighed in on Sunday morning at my lowest weight so far. (1 lb below my ultimate goal weight.) I know that was a direct result of all the sweating I did on Saturday, but I'll take it! I'm still at the high end of healthy according to bmi (and the stubborn fat on my belly!) I'm not actively trying to lose anymore weight, but wouldn't object to being a few lbs lighter.

Struggled with the overwhelming urge to eat all the peanut butter yesterday. I did finish off what was left in the jar. I logged it as 4 tablespoons, but I'm pretty sure it was more than that! Oh well, today is a new day!

10 miles!! Wow! That is awesome. And congrats on ALL your success.

And yes, today is a new day :)