Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• katab2014
    katab2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    shaymini wrote: »
    Is this group still active. I'm not quite 50, but I'm already in menopause and really hating the budda belly that comes with hot flashes and weight gain. I'd like to lose about 14 pounds. I'm working HARD and see results in my arms and legs - but the tummy is stubborn. Need support, especially when all I want to do is inhale a pan of brownies some days. Please let me know if ya'll are still using this. Thanks so much!! :)

Hi Shaymini, I'm 51 and not had a period proper for about for about 3 years and so far have had about 10 years of flushes and night sweats. I am now weaning myself off the meds for that (NOT HRT), but yes...the weight is an issue. At the moment I'm concentrating on eating right and building up my fitness...
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there. My desire is to eat to live and not live to eat. I'm thinking this is a whole retraining of the brain. But some times I feel like Pavlov's dogs. When it's almost time for lunch or dinner, I can hardly wait. Even if I'm not extra hungry. I hate that! Anyone else do that ?
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there. My desire is to eat to live and not live to eat. I'm thinking this is a whole retraining of the brain. But some times I feel like Pavlov's dogs. When it's almost time for lunch or dinner, I can hardly wait. Even if I'm not extra hungry. I hate that! Anyone else do that ?

I'm with you! It's all in the mind and we have to stop thinking about food all of the time! I've been working on this... really trying to be mindful and s l o w in my eating. When I reach to grab something I need to evaluate the reason why. It's getting there, but it is a slow process.

• butbygrace206
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »

I'm with you! It's all in the mind and we have to stop thinking about food all of the time! I've been working on this... really trying to be mindful and s l o w in my eating. When I reach to grab something I need to evaluate the reason why. It's getting there, but it is a slow process.

Exactly! Some of my eating, before, was habit. Would just grab something just cause it was there. I'm working hard on retraining my mind. :)
  • Ananya23
    Ananya23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 53 and would love to join
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    It's difficult becoming the caregivers as we age, our roles change by circumstances... But there comes a time when we have to take ourselves back :) I'm grateful to have each of you here to support me on this journey, because we deserve it and we owe it to everyone we love <3

And I definitely did the leg raises this morning Peg :) Don't forget tomorrow's post!

All my very best to you all on your journey,

Tami

You have definitely had a long struggle but have come so far in your journey. Don't turn back now, keep the faith!

Day 2 of my exercise postings:
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises

Happy legs!

Day 3
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises
    25 seat belts! Touch your opposite shoulder and with a slight twist come across the body to the waist. Both sides as sometimes we aren't the driver!
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Don. As I tell my family practice doctor, my endocrinologist, my cardiologist, my urologist and my nephrologist, I am the healthiest 69 year old, insulin dependent (insulin pump), cancer surviving, quadruple by-pass patient with chronic kidney disease any of them have. Aside from those few health problems and some extra weight, I've never had high blood pressure and my cholesterol is in the 130 range. My health issues are the result of ingesting a bit too much Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam.

When I got out of boot camp in 1966 at age 20 I weighed 169 pounds. The U.S. Navy took 13 weeks to sculpt me how they wanted me so I figure 170 pounds is in the range of what I should weigh. My weight has always fluctuated and over the past 30 years has been between 185 and 217. I started this adventure on 12/27/14 and have lost 21 pounds since then. I started with a goal weight of 190; but, since I'm down to 195 lbs. I have revised that to 180 pounds.

My problem is I simply cannot live on 1500 calories/day. I am eating an average of about 1900 calories/day. However, I am doing enough (50 - 55 minutes) exercise each day that the calorie counter on the equipment shows I'm burning about 1150 calories/day for a net intake of 750 calories.

After the snow leaves for the winter, I plan to travel the 10 miles to the nearest fitness center with an indoor pool. I don't want to concern myself with strength training. What I've been doing is strictly cardio (exercise bike) and believe 30 minutes in a pool will just help to tone things up.

The entire goal of all this is the quest to take 5 - 7 strokes off my golf handicap. The past 3 seasons as I've slowly gained some weight the scores have increased as well. I hope I've figured out the correct correlation between the two. lol!

Any help and encouragement I can get here will be appreciated.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! It's been a busy week and working long into the evening trying to get the kitchen reno checked off the list :s. Add to that an unexpected visit to the ER when my sweet fella decided to get on the fitness bus and played basketball.... Only to get flipped over some guys back, blow out his ankle and sprain his wrist! Not sure what part of "we're not 18 anymore " he hasn't grasped LOL

My small victories this week have been doing my stretching and Peg' s exercises (HAHAHA didn't realize I'd have to do them ALL every day B).. Just kidding! ) and planning an action packed weekend for my son's birthday! He chose an Italian restaurant for dinner tomorrow night, so I went online and prelogged two dinner choices that fit my calories/ macros and have been incorporating any extra allowance for a glass of wine and a bit of birthday dessert over the past couple of days. The great thing is no one at the table even needs to know and I'm confident my weekly goals will remain unfazed <3

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend :D

Tami
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh... Forget to tell you there was a really GREAT post this morning under the General forum called something like a Really Blunt List for weight loss. I don't know how to copy links, but it was really good to read no matter where you are on this journey <3
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Welcome Mick!! Thank you for your service.

Peg, I will do them. So far so good :)

Everyone else, post a success, a problem you need help with, or a vent, or just a howdy :)
  • candicer
    candicer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's been a tough week; cold weather brings on binge eating, cravings for comfort food, and lack of desire to work out. But I have made it to the gym 4 times, and even though I've not eaten my best, at least I haven't gone way over the edge!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    candicer wrote: »
    It's been a tough week; cold weather brings on binge eating, cravings for comfort food, and lack of desire to work out. But I have made it to the gym 4 times, and even though I've not eaten my best, at least I haven't gone way over the edge!

Yep, I'm done with the snow and cold weather. Good job on getting to the gym!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    ... post a success ...

Tightened the belt another notch this morning; that's 2 this year so far. Also noticed that my belt is actually holding my pants up, and not just preventing the waistband from rolling over like a sucker-punched nun.

All that and I'm not much more than 30% of the way toward my goal.

• butbygrace206
    Options
    ... post a success ...

Tightened the belt another notch this morning; that's 2 this year so far. Also noticed that my belt is actually holding my pants up, and not just preventing the waistband from rolling over like a sucker-punched nun.

Two notches in two months, great job! I LOL with the nun comment :)
  • PegJens
    Options
    It's difficult becoming the caregivers as we age, our roles change by circumstances... But there comes a time when we have to take ourselves back :) I'm grateful to have each of you here to support me on this journey, because we deserve it and we owe it to everyone we love <3

And I definitely did the leg raises this morning Peg :) Don't forget tomorrow's post!

Tami

You have definitely had a long struggle but have come so far in your journey. Don't turn back now, keep the faith!

25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises

Happy legs!

Day 3
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises
    25 seat belts! Touch your opposite shoulder and with a slight twist come across the body to the waist. Both sides as sometimes we aren't the driver!

Day 4
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises
    25 seat belts
    25 side stretches
  • SuzyH
    Options
    ... post a success ...

• SuzyH
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »
    ... post a success ...

Congratulations! I've seen many of your posts and you are a great encourager! Thanks!
  • PegJens
    edited March 2015
    Options

Tami

25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises

Happy legs!

Day 3
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises

Day 4
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises
    25 seat belts
    25 side stretches

Day 6 no 5
    Okay do Day 4 plus add a minute walk before and after exercises.

• butbygrace206
    Options

Tami

25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises

Happy legs!

Day 3
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises

Day 4
    25 side leg raises
    25 knee raises
    25 seat belts
    25 side stretches

Day 6 no 5
    Okay do Day 4 plus add a minute walk before and after exercises.

Lol. I'm sore ! But I will keep it up :)
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If anyone looks at MFP's blog, here is a link I have found really useful- MFP's round-up of the 10 best free workout videos on Youtube. I work out at home quite a bit as I live 15 miles from town. I'm going through them all.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-best-free-workout-videos-on-youtube/