Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    unigoop wrote: »
    Well tomorrow is my weigh in. Has been a good two weeks just hope I dropped three pounds. Either way I feel great about how I have been doing. As long as I have not gained I will be ecstatic.

Big applause to Unigoop for a 7 lb loss over the past two weeks! Woohoo :D

Congrats !!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday and Welcome everyone :) I love seeing everybody's posts!

PegJens, you're doing GREAT! You should post the daily move here too :)
    Ceci.~ you're a rock star!! 10 miles is incredible :D
    Standenvernet~ WOW! 23 pounds is OUTSTANDING (*)

Well, last week was really stressfilled and I had also upped my calories by 50 a day so I didn't really know what to expect.... But I squeaked out 1 lb. Not rock star level, but I'll take it! This puts me at 16 lbs since the holidays :D

Today is also the day I start adding in stretching and strengthening exercises.... I like starrhull's idea of setting weekly goals! So I'm going to set my weekly goals as
    -- keep on track with my new calorie level
    -- drink all my water
    -- do 30 minutes a day of stretching/ strengthening
    -- swim 40 laps on Friday
    -- enjoy my son Jeffrey's 25th birthday this coming weekend without derailing <3

Well, I dug out my yoga mat and my ball and my little dumbbells and my resistance cords so I guess there's no more avoidance! Have a GREAT Monday everyone <3

Tami
  • 99twinmama99
    99twinmama99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to MFP and am loving it so far. Started on Jan 25 and I'm down 15 lbs. I need to stay focus and hit my mini goal then onto the big one! Hope everyone has a great day
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Tami- that's awesome. 16 pounds since the holidays! And I think PegJens should post the daily move on here also :). And since you posted your weekly goals I'm gonna give it a try.

-- try one new recipe this week
    -- add one new exercise
    -- stay under calorie each day
    -- drink all my water.

:)
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Tami- that's awesome. 16 pounds since the holidays! And I think PegJens should post the daily move on here also :). And since you posted your weekly goals I'm gonna give it a try.

-- try one new recipe this week
    -- add one new exercise
    -- stay under calorie each day
    -- drink all my water.

:)

I tried the cheesy meat crust pizza this weekend.... Yummo <3. I put artichoke hearts, tomato, mushrooms and onion on top. It was incredibly filling and I would definitely do it again :)

Tami
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok, this is for Tami, butbygrace206,Sandcastles61 and all the rest who want just a simple start to their routine.
    Day 1 a simple side leg raise (25)
    Thanks Friends this will make me do these twice a day as I can't post if I don't do it myself!
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My weekly goals....
    ..to be more diligent at my goal when I am at Mothers(don't eat just because it will go to waist!)(waste)
    ..to be more active after work(the tv is not an active sport)
    ..to stay away from the peanut butter cookies (they are not my friends)
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    Ok, this is for Tami! And all the rest who want just a simple start to their routine. Day 1 a simple side leg raise (25)
    Thanks Tami this will make me do these twice a day as I can't post if I don't do it myself!

Hahaha~ Sorry
  • notsochubbychicker
    Options
    I have been using MFP for a year now. I wanted to lose weight for my son's wedding last May and after it was over I just kept going. I have lost 40 lbs and feel great except that my weight loss has stopped even though I am still following the program faithfully. I really would like to lose 10 more pounds and then try to maintain. Wondering if anyone else is having this issue? I am 53 and exercise at least 5 times a week.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    If all your data entry into the app is fully accurate and above reproach (are you eating back 100% of your 5x/wk exercise calories?), then your body may have adjusted a few things.

Caloric needs in the app are based on calculations that can, at best, offer approximations of a normal body's needs, and since "Normal" is only a setting on the washing machine, you may have to rely a little on your own knowledge of your body to get a final few pounds off. For more on this you can spend a week with Google researching TDEE and BMR calculations and variances between the differing calculations & models.

The reason that you're seeing this plateau could be directly related to the math involved. As you were heavier and farther away from goal, a 3% or 5% over-intake (or over estimation of replacement need) wasn't enough to keep you from dropping weight, but now, those same errors are more significant and could be all that is slowing your progress.

Take a look at your intake/exercise logs for as long as you've been plateaued, and assure yourself that your NET intake has been pretty stable. If you're weight has stabilized at this intake - then that intake value could be considered your TDEE (with your current amount of exercise burn)... Do a little math of your own on your GOALS page to establish a calorie deficit (using your new personalized caloric need at stasis), and you should again begin to drop a few pounds.

As you get close to "thin", all of the errors an approximations become more significant, and the stuff above is only one way of working a little more accurately based on your discoveries.

Alternately, some folks will opt to enter their goal weight into the app as a substitute for their current weight; since your goal is "smaller" than you current, the calculations for BMR/TDEE are slewed toward the lighter-side and related caloric intake is lessened.

Sometimes just "stopping" exercise (keep moving, of course) to allow your exercise=induced water retention (swelling, inflammation, whatever you wish to call it) to subside. Then re-weigh yourself and recalculate in the app (or other) for your BMR/TDEE baseline and move forward again. Remember that you will gain inflammatory water weight as you return to whatever workout you have, so don't be immediately disheartened (2-weeks should tell).

Heck, there are even thoughts out there where you re-work the foods that you're consuming as your energy source (change your protein sources and timing, and things like that), all to disturb the homeostasis that has apparently been established. this could be a solution if you're eating the same kinds'a foods on the same kinda schedules and doing the same kinds'a exercise... High protein soups for breakfast?

Of course, this could be as simple as over-estimating caloric burn from your workouts, and there's about a zillion thoughts/estimation models/etc on how to be more accurate there...

... so ends today's installment of "stan's-gym-bro-science" (sorry if this ran a bit long - but it seems that we will all get to this point, and it'll be nice to hear other thoughts on braking a loss-plateau near to goal.)

• lollyiam56
    Options
    I am 58 and have struggled with my weight for 30 years! I am tired of being sick and tired!!! Any encouragement I can get I will appreciate!!
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I turned fifty 3 months ago. I've lost 30 lbs here and with program called Venus within a 8 month period. and put back on close to half of that within about a 3month Period. I strayed off my newly found eating habits, logging, counting and planning meals. Lots of sweets, barely any foods. My goal is to take about 8 - 10 back off. Depending how I'm feeling with the loss.
    i know I'm late, as I'm just now trying to come back. Am I too late? I'd like to participate .
    Thank you!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    Ok, this is for Tami, butbygrace206,Sandcastles61 and all the rest who want just a simple start to their routine.
    Day 1 a simple side leg raise (25)
    Thanks Friends this will make me do these twice a day as I can't post if I don't do it myself!

I will get these done ! Hope I can get out of the floor after :):)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    I have been using MFP for a year now. I wanted to lose weight for my son's wedding last May and after it was over I just kept going. I have lost 40 lbs and feel great except that my weight loss has stopped even though I am still following the program faithfully. I really would like to lose 10 more pounds and then try to maintain. Wondering if anyone else is having this issue? I am 53 and exercise at least 5 times a week.

A wedding! That is exactly why I started. Our daughters wedding is june 6. I still have plenty to lose so the weight is still coming off. Hope I don't get to a Plateau any time soon and hope you get those last 10 pounds off. :)
  • wendyann57
    Options
    Hello, I am new here. Really having a hard time losing the 50 lbs I need to lose. Just looking for support.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just turned 53. My scale does fat percentage and you program you height and age. I just had to switch the age and realized how fast the time is passing. On my 51st birthday I decided to make a change in my health. I am now down 90lbs and waiting for the warm weather in the north east so I can be more active outdoors
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    Just turned 53. My scale does fat percentage and you program you height and age. I just had to switch the age and realized how fast the time is passing. On my 51st birthday I decided to make a change in my health. I am now down 90lbs and waiting for the warm weather in the north east so I can be more active outdoors

Wow!! Congrats on the lifestyle change. I too have just entered this journey. Thanks for posting and feel free to post hints and tips :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    wendyann57 wrote: »
    Hello, I am new here. Really having a hard time losing the 50 lbs I need to lose. Just looking for support.

Welcome. This is the place ! Feel free to post any issues you have and there are lots of people on here to help.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    feel free to post hints and tips :)

The best advice I give people when they ask how I lost close to 100lbs. Start every day with the determination you had on day one. Just do the best you can today and worry about tomorrow when it comes
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    feel free to post hints and tips :)

The best advice I give people when they ask how I lost close to 100lbs. Start every day with the determination you had on day one. Just do the best you can today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

That's my prayer :smiley: