Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, everyone.
    Somewhat excessive meals starting at lunch last Friday, then Saturday night out with friends and last night at the in-laws. I think I succeeded zeroing out the food with extra time in the pool but it was close!
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Loz220662 wrote: »
    I'm 52 - 53 this year & glad to make it this far! But I want to make it past 80YO Want to be a grandad but not a couple more years apparently? Somethings you have no say in! If i can reclaim half the fitness levels from my 30's then that will do.

I will be 56 this week. Our oldest daughter is getting married this summer so I won't be a gma for a couple years, also. But when I am I want to be able to keep up with them. :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    Happy Monday, everyone.
    Somewhat excessive meals starting at lunch last Friday, then Saturday night out with friends and last night at the in-laws. I think I succeeded zeroing out the food with extra time in the pool but it was close!

Those days happen. I'm sure your swimming made it all good. :)
  • Luvstogolf
    Luvstogolf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What a nice group...I just turned 50 in January. Live in Florida, looking for fitness pals for motivation!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Luvstogolf wrote: »
    What a nice group...I just turned 50 in January. Live in Florida, looking for fitness pals for motivation!

Well I'm not to fit but I can be your pal. :)
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Me too! We're all a work in progress! I'm 56, have 6 grandkids (newborn-8) and want to run with the gang (and not collapse!) Butbygrace206, when is the wedding? That's so exciting!

I've got a busy work day lined up and then a 5 hour car ride go visit daughter & 3 grandkids in MN. My daughter is a super healthy eater so for me, even tho I try to eat well, it's like a detox program (in a good way!). Just hoping that I don't "pay" for taking the work time off by having to put in extra hours go catch up again.

Thankfully we didn't get the snow accumulations they predicted yesterday. I'm so ready for warmer weather!

Happy day, all!
    Suzy in Wisconsin
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies (I'm one, also!)! This is a great group and I enjoy reading the comments several times daily. I just returned from 4 days visiting family and wasn't on MFP, so I'll be more active on here now that I'm home. I took today off from work also to clean, do laundry, and hopefully get back to my better eating habits!! Hope you are all having a great day/week so far!
  • Charles1964
    Charles1964 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and here to lose 214 pounds.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »

Me too! We're all a work in progress! I'm 56, have 6 grandkids (newborn-8) and want to run with the gang (and not collapse!) Butbygrace206, when is the wedding? That's so exciting!

I've got a busy work day lined up and then a 5 hour car ride go visit daughter & 3 grandkids in MN. My daughter is a super healthy eater so for me, even tho I try to eat well, it's like a detox program (in a good way!). Just hoping that I don't "pay" for taking the work time off by having to put in extra hours go catch up again.

Thankfully we didn't get the snow accumulations they predicted yesterday. I'm so ready for warmer weather!

Happy day, all!
    Suzy in Wisconsin

Be safe traveling and have fun Keith those babies.

Wedding is june 6. Its stress time, still lots to do but it's fun planning.

I will be 56 this week. Three children, two still at home. My joke has always been that, we had children so late in life that by the time I got them out of diapers I'd be in them. Thankfully that has not happened :)

I am fairly active. Work a full time job and a part time job during the summer. So summer months are crazy for me. I'm a bit concerned about healthy eating during this time because I go straight from one job to the other. But I'm trying to plan it out.

Have a great day all!!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    I'm 51 and here to lose 214 pounds.
    Then you've come to the right spot !!! Welcome!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Tuesday good-news-day, the good news being it's no longer Monday and I can put to rest the snacking that occurred yesterday afternoon. Off work for spring break this week, I'm usually teaching in the afternoons which keeps me from wandering around aimlessly in the kitchen.

Popcorn! Ate about 3 cups, popped with very little oil, adding no butter, just a little salt. And then I got busy with raisins. Ahhh, those sweet little demons, lol! :smiling_imp: A little dried fruit goes a long way! In days gone by I'd always have candy in the house, and ice cream in the freezer. No more, though. That's one of the biggest changes I've made over the last few years of better nutrition. A bit of dried fruit works just fine, but eeegads is it ever pricey in the calorie dept. Today I'll go for a nice sweet orange.

Off now to plan my meals for the day, including something for late afternoon when munch time hits. Part of the problem yesterday was that I didn't eat a large enough breakfast and was starving by mid-morning. I know better.

Happy day all!

jb in rainy PNW :sunglasses:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I'm 51 and finally fit! I've gone from borderline morbidly obese to a healthy weight. I ride my bicycle and run almost every day. I'm getting ready to run my first half marathon in a couple of weeks.

If I did this, so can you!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    jb_2011 wrote: »
    Tuesday good-news-day, the good news being it's no longer Monday and I can put to rest the snacking that occurred yesterday afternoon. Off work for spring break this week, I'm usually teaching in the afternoons which keeps me from wandering around aimlessly in the kitchen.

Popcorn! Ate about 3 cups, popped with very little oil, adding no butter, just a little salt. And then I got busy with raisins. Ahhh, those sweet little demons, lol! :smiling_imp: A little dried fruit goes a long way! In days gone by I'd always have candy in the house, and ice cream in the freezer. No more, though. That's one of the biggest changes I've made over the last few years of better nutrition. A bit of dried fruit works just fine, but eeegads is it ever pricey in the calorie dept. Today I'll go for a nice sweet orange.

Off now to plan my meals for the day, including something for late afternoon when munch time hits. Part of the problem yesterday was that I didn't eat a large enough breakfast and was starving by mid-morning. I know better.

Happy day all!

jb in rainy PNW :sunglasses:

I love, love, love my popcorn. I buy the "skinny" popcorn. Eat it about every day. My fav snack.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Welcome everyone! I'm 51 and finally fit! I've gone from borderline morbidly obese to a healthy weight. I ride my bicycle and run almost every day. I'm getting ready to run my first half marathon in a couple of weeks.

Ceci, you're my hero. My daughter just asked me yesterday if I would be ready to run a 5k by October. I'm gonna try my best :)
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi all. New here too. I'll be 54 next month. Have lost 88 lbs. thus far, have about 140 to go. I've been really enjoying reading your posts and look forward to making some new friends. "One day at a time" has been my motto since beginning this journey last August and, by the grace of God, it's worked for me. Hope everyone has a great day. Check back later. A*
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    annem6806 wrote: »
    Hi all. New here too. I'll be 54 next month. Have lost 88 lbs. thus far, have about 140 to go. I've been really enjoying reading your posts and look forward to making some new friends. "One day at a time" has been my motto since beginning this journey last August and, by the grace of God, it's worked for me. Hope everyone has a great day. Check back later. A*

That's amazing! Big high 5 to you! It is "one day at a time" and I'm on the journey too :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

Ceci, you're my hero. My daughter just asked me yesterday if I would be ready to run a 5k by October. I'm gonna try my best :)
    Awww, thanks!

You most definitely can be ready to run a 5k by October! Couch to 5k is great!
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You're all my heroes! Awesome job! Send some of that will power over here! :smile:
  • brian46845
    brian46845 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    50 and wanting a lasting change.. Hit 251 in Jan and want to lose 50 pounds permanently over the next year. Getting married May 30 and want to be 230 by then..
  • aroar2014
    aroar2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    New to MFP. I am 53 and have been struggling to do this on my own. Feeling like I need a group to keep my motivation going. Looks like this is a friendly spot to land.