I see myself as thinner than I really am!

Options

Replies

• Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    Some mirrors are stretched (especially clothes shops), and that may be why you think you look smaller at home. Try a different mirror. x
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Pictures suck. When you're looking in a mirror, you naturally pose yourself in the most flattering way. In pictures, you don't have that option. I once had a friend take some pictures where I had a mirror behind her so I could see myself and pose better. Great pictures!

Pictures still bother me - always have. My husband always tells me (and I think he's being honest) that I don't look like that in real life. Real life is different, you're moving constantly. Pictures are frozen in time. Think of the celebrity pictures that make them look horrible even though they're not.

We got some family pictures taken at the end of September. I really liked them. My mom said, those are nice, but you look much thinner in person. Yay mom! She doesn't had out fake compliments LOL.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've done it too. It was probably denial on my part. I wouldn't admit in my head that I was as big as I was and then I would catch a reflection in a store window or see a picture on FB and think "Is that really me?" Or worse yet, I would see a woman that is really big and think, "Am I as big as her?"

Self sabotage is the way easier then thinking positive.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this, too! Is it wishful thinking? Or could it be being happy with what you have? I had no idea how bad I looked - I always thought pictures just add the pounds.

It's almost embarrassing - my prancing around feeling all good about myself when everyone else saw someone who needs to lose some poundage.
  • Spenezich
    Spenezich Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do this on both ends of the scale (chronic yo-yo dieter here). When I'm heavier, I think of myself as thinner and am shocked when I get an unexpected glimpse in store window, or see a photo of me. When I'm thinner, I still think of myself as being heavier and then I'll see myself in a photo and I'll be pleasantly surprised at how thin I look. I don't know what it takes for my brain to catch up!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Nope, I see my self as I am and accept myself and am moving forward daily to a shrinking me. There is nothing wrong with loving yourself as you are, where you are, and growing (or shrinking) to a better you. Acceptance is the first step to overcoming. Not picking at you one bit...
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I was heavy, I knew I was heavy. Even after I lost a lot of weight, I still felt the same. Recently I saw an old photo of myself. Holy Cr##! I was massive. I was bigger than I thought. Even though I know I am significantly smaller, I still feel like the same old fat woman.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I think I look so cute in the mornings before I go to work sometimes...then I get to work and see myself and im like oh geeeeeezzzz are these trick mirrors???. Pictures are the worst...especially when you are next to slender people. Just makes you look EVEN bigger!!! I have even had those moments recently where I just cant believe thats me in the the picture...like whoooooaaaa who is this?? cus that is sure not how I feel!
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite. I lost 35lbs and I still see myself as what I was before.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    every... single .... day..... :(
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i used to see myself like that. then i'd see pictures. i was in denial. i mean how else can you pack on 50-60lbs and think you're still healthy and don't need to change anything?
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I hate pictures VS mirror....... = / I look better in pictures I take than in real life...it sucks.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I feel like this sometimes too. I am considered "obese" yet most people are telling me I do not need to lose weight. And when I am in photos alone I look great! Next to others, not as much. I am very curvy and carry weight well... but it depends on the photo, or lighting, or whatever that determines if I look good or not that day.

Society tells us we should be a certain size and look a certain way. If you feel healthy and like the way you look then I say that sounds like some awesome self-esteem and confidence. More people (especially women) need to just love how they look.

I do not think it is denial at all. I think when you remove yourself from societal pressures and comparing and bad lighting... and see just you and like what you see, this is an awesome thing.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this, too! Is it wishful thinking? Or could it be being happy with what you have? I had no idea how bad I looked - I always thought pictures just add the pounds.

It's almost embarrassing - my prancing around feeling all good about myself when everyone else saw someone who needs to lose some poundage.

LOL I TOTALLY agree!!!!!! Feel the same way!!
  • emoysey
    emoysey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with picturing yourself skinnier than what you see in pictures. A positive self image helps me walk with my head a little higher. Self confidence is part of being a better you!
  • lindseynyfarmer
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. When I was really big I always thought I was about 30 lbs lighter. After I lost weight I became the opposite, I feel like im about 100 pounds bigger than I really am.
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I'm the same way. It's weird isn't it?
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I jokingly call it reverse anorexia because I think I look thinner than I am especially when I was over weight.

When I started WW 3 years ago - I was shocked at the scales when I first weighed in. Pics may add weight but the scales don't lie.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    best way to get out of that mind set is just looking at the numbers, that is what i did.'

I'm 6 feet ad 255, %30bodyfat

I do lift weights therefore, i'm not too flabby when i look in the mirror. HOWEVER, there is no person in the world that has %30 bodyfat and is healthy.

Numbers DO NOT LIE.

Maybe you need to find people on google images or somewhere that have the same height and weight as you and look at them.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've done it too. It was probably denial on my part. I wouldn't admit in my head that I was as big as I was and then I would catch a reflection in a store window or see a picture on FB and think "Is that really me?" Or worse yet, I would see a woman that is really big and think, "Am I as big as her?"

Self sabotage is the way easier then thinking positive.

Maybe that is why we all weigh more than we should. We have deceived ourselves into thinking that we are "fine" just the way we are. Granted, there are big people who are healthy, but in my case--- I am just plain old fat right now. I had chosen to deny the fact that the extra weight was KILLING me! Thanks to a healthy lifestyle change, I hope to gain control of my life and my weight.