I see myself as thinner than I really am!

Options

Replies

• Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. When I was really big I always thought I was about 30 lbs lighter. After I lost weight I became the opposite, I feel like im about 100 pounds bigger than I really am.

I am similar - one day a friend I hadn't seen in a while made a comment about my weight. I was shocked! Then I realized, I had gained 25- 30 pounds since I last saw her! I was actually thankful for her honesty because it was a real wake up call for me.

Now, I lost the weight, I work out and I see all kinds of flaws that I didn't see when I was heavy!
  • beckibarz2
    Options
    Guilty! This happens to me all the time, New Years Eve being the most recent. I was mortified when I looked at the pics - I thought I looked great in my sequins dress! Not sure what to do about it! I guess it is better than a negative self image?
  • Suzyqz37
    Options
    I am ALWAYS shocked when I see photos of myself. I can't believe how big I look in them. As a result, I almost never let anyone take a picture of me. My kids are going to wonder why Mommy was never in any of the pictures.
  • Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this, too! Is it wishful thinking? Or could it be being happy with what you have? I had no idea how bad I looked - I always thought pictures just add the pounds.

It's almost embarrassing - my prancing around feeling all good about myself when everyone else saw someone who needs to lose some poundage.

LOL I TOTALLY agree!!!!!! Feel the same way!!

Hahaha I agree as well!!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Its true! Mirrors lie! But photos don't. As I had begun my weight gain the last time- I had gotten down to 170, (which for my height/frame is a very ideal weight). I looked great- so although my clothes were getting tighter- and I knew I was blowing my diet- I just ingored and thought I looked fine. But photos don't lie. I eventually gained almost 2X my weight- 155 (best guess- I think it may have been higher). I have now 75 of that gain - so I am still on my journey.

Take pictures now- they will be your motivation!
  • bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. I hate when I go shopping and buy clothes without trying them on, they always end up too small. Then I end up shocked that it won't fit... It sucks :/

^ This!

And when I think I look so good in the mornings before work, looking at myself in the mirror, and then I see myself in a photo taken that same day and I'm HUGE!!!

I think it's called reverse body dysmorphia - or something...

It just sucks! :-(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No...

I need constant reminders that I dont have to turn sideways to get through hallways.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Mirrors are deceiving at times! I also have the problem that the more weight I take off, the more self-conscious I become
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm the oppsite, however I had a friend who was like this. She would say every day "oh I'm so bloated", but in reality just needed to lose a stone or so... then she got upset when she wore sexy underwear and her boyfriend told her to join the gym.

His comment was cruel in that moment, but she still hasn't taken any action... She's in denial.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I never doubted how fat I was.

I have a problem with my mirror being a liar now. I don't see 153 pounds most days. I still see 190.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This is what totally changed my view of my weightloss. I totally thought I looked fine, then I saw pictures and videos from last Christmas and cried when I saw how big I was.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yup, pretty much. Even when I lost weight (I am pregnant now, but I had gone from 235.8 to 153.8 after my last pregnancy using MFP), I couldn't wrap my brain around how small I'd gotten. I think my brain has this idea of how big I am regardless of how big or small I actually am, then I'm shocked when I see pictures (or get a "real" view of my clothes).
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I completely relate! I think it is part of my problem with weightloss. I weigh 230 but still think I weigh more like 150 most of the time. Complete denial... but trying to focus too much on how much I really weigh, and how I really look just depresses me and that doesn't help either. I need to figure out a way to have a positive but real self-image that will help me with my weightloss efforts.
  • mylee69
    mylee69 Posts: 15
    Options
    In my head I am the size I strive to be, ( I'm beautiful lol ) But I also see my actual size in pictures, but also in my mirror and those shop doors that don't slide open quick enough, hate those with a vengence. . A long time ago I stopped looking in the mirrors, the shop doors, head down as I approach. I have become some what of an expert at approaching mirrors etc. and only seeing my face. Thats when even more weight crept on. 20 kg.(44lbs) Now I sit here and realize how much of a diservice I have done to myself by playing the 'don't look' game. Thankyou for your post, it has made me come to the harsh reality I have been denying.
    From tomorrow I shall start looking again at the truth that is right there in front of me. Wish me luck. Looking forward to seing if it makes a difference actually. :smile:
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Opposite- feel absolutely huge
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yup! this is me.... or was.... Yeh I wouls ee myself being overweight but i thought i acutlaly looked abot smaller.... until I saw picture and i was GROSSED OUT..... and then I would REALLY see how much weight I gained and how big I was. I also asked my bf to show me my size, using someone as a comparison... the person was way bigger than I thought I looked.... I am not sure why this happens.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I got the wake up call from pictures, too. Now I have the opposite problem. Worked down to a size 4. I don't care if you want to call it a vanity size 4 or not. It is still down significantly from my 'vanity size 16' pants! I still think I am fat although everyone around me tells me how "tiny" I am. I certainly don't feel tiny and I am NOT looking for compliments, just a dose of reality. I think it would still be helpful to have someone follow me around with a video camera so I can see for myself.

In any case, it is a mental block we have somewhere for whatever reason is my conclusion!

Even when I held up my size 4 jeans ("vanity size" from Old Navy), I still saw them as big, but then I reminded myself that if I held them up against my old size 16 jeans, I'd see a difference. I had to literally tell myself out loud that even a "vanity" size 4 is pretty dang small, and I worked really hard to get there (I still retained my curves, mind you)!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one. I was this way when I was heavier, but now that I'm thinner I see my imperfections even more. We women are bat sh!+ crazy lol.
  • 16Momma16
    16Momma16 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I never think I am as big as I am. Over the holidays I was at a department store all of a sudden I saw myself in the mirror and could not believe what I saw. I am short and I looked as wide as I was tall. I have been working hard since then and have lost 7 pounds I have 100 more to go.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Me too, although it goes beyond the mirror. I tend to walk into door jams or filing cabinets because I don't quite clear them (usually bang my hand into them or something). It's like I don't realize that I'm as big as I am. Or I'm one of the klutziest people on the planet...