Beer must go...replace with?

Options

Replies

• SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Vodka.

Mix with fruit juice instead of diet soda?

Juices are really high in sugar so watch for that.

Exactly. I drink vodka straight or drink red wine. Take into consideration how many cals each drink is and plan ahead.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know how heavy a drinker you are or how much it takes to get you drunk or buzzed, but it takes a fair bit for me. Enough to where if I went drinking one or two nights a week with the intent of drinking enough to get buzzed, I would see absolutely no progress that week.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Champagne's pretty good on the calorie front. About 90 calories a glass and so much better than Bud (or Near Frozen Gnats Urine as one comedian referred to it).

Vodka and soda water is pretty good on the "low calorie" front and a squeeze of fresh lime makes it a lot tastier.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the world turned into a beer snob. I don't get it.

I love craft beer, and even brew it, but most of it is killer in terms of calories. My favorite breweries (Firestone Walker, Stone, Lagunitas, and Sierra Nevada) are murder in the calorie department. Guiness is about 150 for 12 oz, I believe. Bud light / coors light are 106 cals (which makes 95 cal ultra light seem ridiculous, b/c I think coors light tastes better).

Other than light beer, vodka, gin, clear rum and most whiskey all have about 108 cals in a 1.5 oz. shot. And don't kid yourself on size. If you fill up a shot glass most of the way, it's 1.5 oz, not the 1 oz that I have seen people document. The difference is 65 vs. 100, which adds up if you're a functional alcoholic like many of us.

What's your point? If you enjoy craft beers (and as a homebrewer, I assume you do), you just deal with the calorie content of the beers you enjoy. I don't drink to get drunk anymore, because once I'm drunk, I can't taste the delicious beers I prefer.
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There are also those "skinnygirl" mixes out there. i haven't tried them, but heard they suffice.
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A light colored liqueur like Rum or Vodka mixed with Crystal Light is a great option - sugar free mixer, lots of flavor combinations and only added calories is from the liqueur. If out at a restaurant or bad Crystal Light isn't usually an option, lol, so then I would opt for Diet Coke or Pepsi as a mixer.
    If I'm wanting wine then I'll opt for a half glass of wine with a splash of Fresca or Diet Sprite.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I say have a beer if you want a beer, factor it into your day and enjoy! If you're going to be out drinking with friends then maybe consider something a little more calorie 'light' I usually drink a vodka water with a lime or a splash of cranberry or pineapple juice.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I guess it would be because I'm trying to get drunk. When I'm not, or when I have the calories to spare, I just have a few pints of good stuff.

Variety is the spice of life and I guess I try not to get too tired of any one beer. So don't think that all I drink is coors light. I also make dirt money and usually can't afford nice beer. But when it's hot as hell out in the summer, you couldn't pay me to drink a pint of arrogant *kitten* or some myrcenary or some other hop-intensive beer (unless I was very air conditioned, which rarely happens while you're barbecuing). I prefer to be refreshed in those situations. Yes, light beer is watery...

Anyway, the nice part about beer, wine, or liquor tasting is that its about preference. If you like it, you drink it, not because someone else told you to. I like the fact that I enjoy cheap and fancy beers and have a decent knowledge about beer, but that's just me. I more or less get sick about people being preachy about craft beer. No offense, but it's awfully trendy these days and I get sick of people being snobs about anything. That goes for wine or comic books or carpet swatches or anything. Just me.
  • mestop1
    mestop1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The good news is that it doesn't appear you were drinking beer in the first place. Carry on.

^ This

Why bother...
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The good news is that it doesn't appear you were drinking beer in the first place. Carry on.

^^This.

or... replace with real beer, just not as much. Work it in. Most craft beers (the 12oz serving here) run 150-250/serving, plus they taste good and satisfy the need for more (more substantial use of malt, hops and ususally run a little higheer ABV%), unlike Bud and other "beer" which just makes you want to drink more. Ever wonder why they sell that stuff in 30 packs? (hint...it's pretty much water).
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Vodka.

Mix with Crystal Light if you want to go with zero cal mixer and more taste, if you like crystal light!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Guinness is low calorie.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I still have beer. Big beer, not the yellow water version for 55 or 64 calories. I'll just work out that much more if I need to have an old rasputin or some nice belgian.

Amen!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cannabis has zero calories and a better buzz. :smokin:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Vodka.

No mixers - they're full of sugar and will shoot your calorie count sky high! Get some good quality booze and have it over ice :)

I love the way you think!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Cannabis has zero calories and a better buzz. :smokin:

But those munchies are diary killers :tongue:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i only drink corona, so... i just havent been drinking... cant bring myself to drink any other kind... once im maintaining, and have more calories to spare, then ill have my occasional 12 pack :)
  • ds233005
    ds233005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fresh lime juice with tequila and sweet n low. Kind of like a margarita!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the world turned into a beer snob. I don't get it.

I love craft beer, and even brew it, but most of it is killer in terms of calories. My favorite breweries (Firestone Walker, Stone, Lagunitas, and Sierra Nevada) are murder in the calorie department. Guiness is about 150 for 12 oz, I believe. Bud light / coors light are 106 cals (which makes 95 cal ultra light seem ridiculous, b/c I think coors light tastes better).

Other than light beer, vodka, gin, clear rum and most whiskey all have about 108 cals in a 1.5 oz. shot. And don't kid yourself on size. If you fill up a shot glass most of the way, it's 1.5 oz, not the 1 oz that I have seen people document. The difference is 65 vs. 100, which adds up if you're a functional alcoholic like many of us.

What's your point? If you enjoy craft beers (and as a homebrewer, I assume you do), you just deal with the calorie content of the beers you enjoy. I don't drink to get drunk anymore, because once I'm drunk, I can't taste the delicious beers I prefer.

Wise words
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Craft beer. :happy:

Seriously, the occasional ale won't kill you. Just don't chug a six pack every night. :drinker:

Yes!! If you are going to drink some calories, drink GOOD beer. :)