What drinks qualify as water?

Options

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Google water myth, you don't need 8 glasses a day to be as hydrated as your going to get. To much water can overwork your kidneys. No one has scientifically proven how much is to much.

Most of the food you eat contains water, you can be completely hydrated without ever drinking any liquid. All liquids you can drink with the exception of some high alcohol content alcohol, contain water.

The only thing water can assist with in weight loss is that you may be feeling hungry when you are actually thirsty, so drinking can sometimes curb the desire to eat. However with the speed that it passes through your body it doesn't make a great appetite suppressant. If your adequately hydrated its not doing anything extra to flush out toxins or burn fat.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on your goal. If your goal is hydration, count other liquids, too. I drink coffee, too, but I log it as coffee, not water. Then, I aim for 8 cups of water. My goal is for the water to help fill me up and keep my body running smoothly, so I aim for 8 of just water. The other stuff hydrates, too, but I don't think it is as effective. Think about what you want to accomplish with hydration and liquids and make a decision on logging based of your goals.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people just can't make it a habit to drink 8 cups of water a day. I make sure I have 4 cups drank before lunch, so the rest of the day I need a minimum of 4, but I usually end up drinking 10-14 cups of water a day. Water is better when you just drink is by itself... sure water is in coffee, sodas, and juices, but you are getting unnecessary extra sugar, carbs, and calories. And if your pee isn't clear you're definitely not getting enough:wink: Just my 2 cents.

Because some people (LIKE ME) don't enjoy drinking water. I don't care for plain water except on rare occasions. So rather than force feed myself what's the big deal if I mix in a packet of Crystal Light or some similar flavoring? Yes I know all about the supposed evils of aspartame but considering I'm not a lab rat being injected with 20 times the suggested daily dosage, I think I'll take my chances.

What I don't understand is why people who choose to drink plain water insist that it's what everyone should do to the point of making up bizarre theories and stories illustrating why anything else is b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d. You drink plain water and you enjoy it, great!! More power to you. I don't enjoy it most of the time so I choose to drink something else, so leave me alone and quit trying to convince me that I'm destroying my body by doing so.
  • DuncanUK64
    Options
    What I don't understand is why people who choose to drink plain water insist that it's what everyone should do to the point of making up bizarre theories and stories illustrating why anything else is b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d. You drink plain water and you enjoy it, great!! More power to you. I don't enjoy it most of the time so I choose to drink something else, so leave me alone and quit trying to convince me that I'm destroying my body by doing so.

Well said.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people just can't make it a habit to drink 8 cups of water a day. I make sure I have 4 cups drank before lunch, so the rest of the day I need a minimum of 4, but I usually end up drinking 10-14 cups of water a day. Water is better when you just drink is by itself... sure water is in coffee, sodas, and juices, but you are getting unnecessary extra sugar, carbs, and calories. And if your pee isn't clear you're definitely not getting enough:wink: Just my 2 cents.

Because some people (LIKE ME) don't enjoy drinking water. I don't care for plain water except on rare occasions. So rather than force feed myself what's the big deal if I mix in a packet of Crystal Light or some similar flavoring? Yes I know all about the supposed evils of aspartame but considering I'm not a lab rat being injected with 20 times the suggested daily dosage, I think I'll take my chances.

Something that has no taste makes you feel like you are force feeding yourself? Okay, whatever helps you sleep better at night. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Something that has no taste makes you feel like you are force feeding yourself? Okay, whatever helps you sleep better at night. :laugh:
    You are absolutely adorable. :flowerforyou:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    water
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I also count 16oz of water after showering for, you know, osmosis....
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WATER COUNTS AS WATER
    coffee ESPECIALLY does not since it actually dehydrates you, as do caffeinated teas, soft drinks, alcohol, etc.
    I drink 0.5 to 1 Liter of water before I even eat breakfast in the morning, and another Litre before lunch. For me, having a coffee or soft drink, etc counts as a NEGATIVE glass of water, so for every dehydrating thing I drink, I make sure I drink 2 extra glasses of water to make up for it.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie...this again!

WATER!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Just keep yourself well hydrated OP...your piss should run clear. If it's yellow, you are not properly hydrated and need more fluids. You do some major dehydrating while you sleep, so it generally runs yellow in the AM.

When I am drunk and my urine is clear thats how I know i am drunk
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just drink WATER! Why is this concept so hard for people to grasp? Why do people feel the need to drink FLAVORED things? :grumble:
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    water
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I count anything without alcohol. And some people have made compelling arguments that alcohol can count.

The idea is to be hydrated, not just drink plain water. Your body gets hydration from all water sources (including the food you eat). Adding flavor to water does not make the water not hydrating anymore.

Some people choose to only count pure water, but I guarantee their bodies don't know the difference.

Alcohol can count as both hydration and even nutrition believe it or not. In Europe, malts were one used as a source of nutrition thus they eventually started having a malt tax as the ingredients required to make the malt was scarce (basically grains).
  • Andreinne
    Options
    Personally, I believe everything counts. (Coffee, tea, even the water amounts in certain foodstuffs) However, for the purposes of MFP, I only log in actual water in the water count, and everything else, in my food diary.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's up to you what you want to count. To me, water is water and coffee or tea is just that. There are no rules. You decide what you want to count as water.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.

As is water. Should I stop drinking water?

Am I reading this right? You are claiming that water is a diuretic and is counterproductive to hydration?

It makes you pee, doesn't it?
  • Shal1217
    Options
    two hydrogens and one oxygen.

LOL this literally made me giggle.

I think it should only be Fiji water since it's the only one untouched by man. bahaha
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Google water myth, you don't need 8 glasses a day to be as hydrated as your going to get. To much water can overwork your kidneys. No one has scientifically proven how much is to much.

Most of the food you eat contains water, you can be completely hydrated without ever drinking any liquid. All liquids you can drink with the exception of some high alcohol content alcohol, contain water.

The only thing water can assist with in weight loss is that you may be feeling hungry when you are actually thirsty, so drinking can sometimes curb the desire to eat. However with the speed that it passes through your body it doesn't make a great appetite suppressant. If your adequately hydrated its not doing anything extra to flush out toxins or burn fat.

I haven't done any research on water consumption, but I know that if our bodies are 50-65% water, it should be a major part of what we consume. Being thirsty is not a myth, and there is a reason that humans get thirsty - because we need water...

Your colon especially needs water to eliminate the foods from your body, and though all liquids contain water, some of them are also DEHYDRATING, making the water that they contain actually counteractive to what you think you're getting in water intake.

While many foods have a high water content, unless you are a fruitarian and eat TONS of celery, watermelon and other melons, cantaloupe, apples, etc. there is NO WAY you could get your water requirements from the food you eat. ESPECIALLY when you cook food it loses a lot of its water content, and cooked meat, dairy, and other animal products contain no water at all.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I count coffee and tea as well, if I use one cup of hot water to steep a bag of tea, I am still consuming a cup of water. *my logic*