What drinks qualify as water?

Options

Replies

• Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I also count 16oz of water after showering for, you know, osmosis....

LOL:drinker:
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As is water. Should I stop drinking water?

Umm- water is not a diuretic... does it help keep bowels moving- yes. Will it cause you to defecate just by drinking it? No. Coffee on the other hand, increases and aids in defecating, which is why some doctors will tell people to drink it if they are having issues with constipation.
  • Shal1217
    Options
    lmao the replied in this thread kill me
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

So you're saying water wouldnt kill you too? Proof?
  • Shal1217
    Options

So you're saying water wouldnt kill you too? Proof?

Reading the replies while drinking water = MIND BLOWN
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Coors Light and Bud Light
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I count anything without alcohol. And some people have made compelling arguments that alcohol can count.

The idea is to be hydrated, not just drink plain water. Your body gets hydration from all water sources (including the food you eat). Adding flavor to water does not make the water not hydrating anymore.

Some people choose to only count pure water, but I guarantee their bodies don't know the difference.

THIS
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As is water. Should I stop drinking water?

Umm- water is not a diuretic... does it help keep bowels moving- yes. Will it cause you to defecate just by drinking it? No. Coffee on the other hand, increases and aids in defecating, which is why some doctors will tell people to drink it if they are having issues with constipation.

Thank you.

Diuretic:

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hehehe. Diuretic:
    19789999.jpg
    LOL. I think she's confusing 'diuretic' with 'diarrhetic'. Which makes her reply no more or less useful and informed than most of the responses in this thread.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Anything non-alcoholic and liquid (or even just "juicy" like a fruit)counts in my book.

Crystal light, soda, coffee, milk, soup, juice, watermelon... it's all WATER...

Now, I personally choose to drink at least 64 ounces of actual unflavored water a day because I like it and I don't necessarily want the sodium from soup, the aspartame from crystal light, the calories from milk, etc.. but all of those things can still be counted as water!

Caffeine consumed in coffee will not cause negative hydration.. maybe if you took straight caffeine pills.. MAYBE.... but with coffee, you're getting a small amount of caffeine put in a whole lot of WATER!
  • jdressel
    Options
    LOL. I think she's confusing 'diuretic' with 'diarrhetic'. Which makes her reply no more or less useful and informed than most of the responses in this thread.

No no -- I get what she's saying. I mean the guy she responded to -- the one saying water is a diuretic. Because, you know, "it makes you pee".
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people just can't make it a habit to drink 8 cups of water a day. I make sure I have 4 cups drank before lunch, so the rest of the day I need a minimum of 4, but I usually end up drinking 10-14 cups of water a day. Water is better when you just drink is by itself... sure water is in coffee, sodas, and juices, but you are getting unnecessary extra sugar, carbs, and calories. And if your pee isn't clear you're definitely not getting enough:wink: Just my 2 cents.

Because some people (LIKE ME) don't enjoy drinking water. I don't care for plain water except on rare occasions. So rather than force feed myself what's the big deal if I mix in a packet of Crystal Light or some similar flavoring? Yes I know all about the supposed evils of aspartame but considering I'm not a lab rat being injected with 20 times the suggested daily dosage, I think I'll take my chances.

What I don't understand is why people who choose to drink plain water insist that it's what everyone should do to the point of making up bizarre theories and stories illustrating why anything else is b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d. You drink plain water and you enjoy it, great!! More power to you. I don't enjoy it most of the time so I choose to drink something else, so leave me alone and quit trying to convince me that I'm destroying my body by doing so.

I hate plain water, too. If it weren't for Mio, Clamato and coffee I would have died many years ago.
  • LizzyKEC
    Options
    If you have a hard time drinking just plain water like I do . I found some recipes on pinterest that you can make healthy flavored water. Most pins say "Spa Water" Ive tried a few and love them and helps me get my 8+ glasses a day. I make it at night and bring it to work in the morning in a travel 2 qt cooler that I can fill up my glass with ice thru out the day :)
    This ones my favorite:

1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced 1 medium lemon or lime, thinly sliced 12 small mint leaves. Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight. Drink the entire pitcher by the end of each day.
  • jdressel
    Options
    Remember that time at the Tour de France when they passed out tall glasses of iced coffee to all the competitors as they sped by?

And when researchers at the University of Florida wrung out the football players' shirts after practice and found that sweat contained a grande latte?

EDIT:
    Sorry - I'll shut up and be more positive. Y'all stay healthy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. So if I drink water at the same time that I eat water soluble food, does that make this water less...uh...qualified as water than if I drink the water when not eating food? If so, how much time should I wait after drinking water before I eat food in order to not diminish the effectiveness of the water?
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hehehe. Diuretic:
    19789999.jpg

diuretic noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
    Any drug that increases the flow of urine from the body. Diuretics promote removal of excess water, salts, poisons, and metabolic wastes to help relieve edema, kidney failure, or glaucoma. Most types act by decreasing the amount of fluid that is reabsorbed by the kidney's nephrons and passed back into the blood. Diuretics that allow the body to retain potassium are used for patients with hypertension or congestive heart failure.

If you are suffering from fluid retention, also called edema, you may benefit from the use of a diuretic. A diuretic is a substance that increases urine production. There are a number of prescription diuretics, but there are also a number of natural alternatives. Tread cautiously when self-treating with diuretic foods and drinks: too many diuretics can cause dehydration, which can be serious.

CAFFEINE
    Caffeine is a diuretic frequently consumed in beverage form. According to the University of Illinois McKinley Health Center, moderate consumption of beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, soda or black tea, will not cause you to become dehydrated: the liquid in these beverages offsets the diuretic effects of the caffeine. However, each individual reacts differently to caffeine.

Pretty sure I am not confusing anything...

also "diarrhetic" and "diuretic" are the same thing, one of them is just spelled wrong- want to take a gander at which one?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about staying hydrated which is the point of drinking all that water in the first place. I also agree with the comment about clear urine. I use that as a good measure of my hydration levels.

Unless you take Vitamin B. Then you're F*cked. lol

I love my morning anti-freeze yellow pee after my B vit...it's so pretty.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    To an extent it depends on the ultimate purpose of drinking water. As has been pointed out, even caffeinated beverages will hydrate you.

But for example if your urologist tells you to drink lots of water, that's a much stronger push to drinking just regular unadulterated water. I suffer from kidney stones and an irritable bladder, so I drink only water and the occasional juice. Anything caffeinated irritates my bladder and black tea in particular is a high source of oxalate which causes kidney stones.

So the answer to what qualifies as water is really - "why do you ask?".
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Mountain runoff can be quite the dehydrating liquid. Ever heard of Giardia, lol...

To the OP, stay hydrated in whatever way works for you. I don't drink plain water. I don't like the taste or lack there of depending on where I am getting it from. Not drinking plain old water hasn't stopped me from losing 50 pounds in the last five and a half months while dropping my body fat % significantly. I do drink low or no calorie, low sodium, non-caffeinted drinks that help me stay hydrated. My former internist told me that if your pee is yellow, you are not drinking enough fluids. I drink a lot of fluids (generally have >75oz before I get to work) all day long. Find what works for you and your body.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Does ice count as water? Or only after it melts..???