What drinks qualify as water?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.

As is water. Should I stop drinking water?

Am I reading this right? You are claiming that water is a diuretic and is counterproductive to hydration?

It's true, I drink a gallon of diet soda a day, and am COMPLETELY mummified at this point.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about getting enough water, drink water. Juice isn't water, coffee isn't water... water is water.
  • cherylh57
    cherylh57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about staying hydrated which is the point of drinking all that water in the first place. I also agree with the comment about clear urine. I use that as a good measure of my hydration levels. I try for 8 glasses of water but sometimes it is fluid in other forms as well.
    However, my nutritionist also did a test on me with electrodes attached to my hand and foot that was able to measure both the hydration levels in my cells and my protein levels. Interesting stuff! My hydration was good but my protein levels way too low. If you are really concerned, I'd suggest you find someone who can do this for you. I understand some gyms are also able to do this test too.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about getting enough water, drink water. Juice isn't water, coffee isn't water... water is water.

I must be doing it wrong...this morning, I put the coffee grounds in some paper, and then poured some water in there, turned it on, and then magic happened and the water ran over the coffee grounds and ended up in the pot...it's still water right?

If I understand you correctly, when I put a pot roast in the crock pot, add water, veggies, and spices, and let it cook all day, by the time I get home the pot roast is no longer a pot roast and can no longer be counted as meat and therefore no longer protein?
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers used to say that half your coffee or tea could be counted as water. During the winter, I'd never drink near enough water if I couldn't count my coffee and tea, especially in the winter.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I must be doing it wrong...this morning, I put the coffee grounds in some paper, and then poured some water in there, turned it on, and then magic happened and the water ran over the coffee grounds and ended up in the pot...it's still water right?

If I understand you correctly, when I put a pot roast in the crock pot, add water, veggies, and spices, and let it cook all day, by the time I get home the pot roast is no longer a pot roast and can no longer be counted as meat and therefore no longer protein?

I heart you
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For all you saying coffee=water--

Drink 32-40oz of coffee to hydrate during the day and then go do your Bikram yoga or heavy cardiovascular workout routine and only drink coffee as you would water during your workout and then tell me that coffee is the same as water....really...heeheee. Coffee consumption does not equal water consumption, period.

Water=water
    I have friend who lost more than 100 pounds a few years ago and who works out harder than anyone I know and she drinks coffee while working out. In Florida. In the summer. Outside.

Im not saying you won't lose (quite the contrary) weight but I would venture to say that most people feel worse if they are substituting coffee for water when they work out. Look if it made me feel great I would do it every day. But it just doesn't.
  • Jory2pointOh
    Options
    I drink 2 or 3 bottles of Vitamin Water a day plus 2 or 3 bottles of water a day. As long as I stay hydrated and my skin doesn't feel weird, I'm happy. You know you're hydrated when you pinch your skin on the top of your hand and your skin falls back down. If it stays up, you're dehydrated. (This came from my mother, the RN who has been an RN and Nutritional Counselor for 26 years.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about staying hydrated which is the point of drinking all that water in the first place. I also agree with the comment about clear urine. I use that as a good measure of my hydration levels. I try for 8 glasses of water but sometimes it is fluid in other forms as well.
    However, my nutritionist also did a test on me with electrodes attached to my hand and foot that was able to measure both the hydration levels in my cells and my protein levels. Interesting stuff! My hydration was good but my protein levels way too low. If you are really concerned, I'd suggest you find someone who can do this for you. I understand some gyms are also able to do this test too.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2024938

If you pinch your skin and it snaps back into place, you are hydrated adequately.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about staying hydrated which is the point of drinking all that water in the first place. I also agree with the comment about clear urine. I use that as a good measure of my hydration levels.

Unless you take Vitamin B. Then you're F*cked. lol
  • nadinespengen
    Options

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think that "qualify as water" is the wrong way to look at it. What's important is hydration.

Whatever you like to drink that makes you less thirsty, as long as it fits in your overall nutrition goals, will sufficiently hydrate you. For me, it's loads and loads of hot fresh white tea infused with bergamot, but you are a different special snowflake.

I also recommend drinking something before meals/when you're hungry because some people confuse thirst for hunger.
  • nadinespengen
    Options
    Wrong, it is now coffee. As for your pot roast it is apparent that you don't understand, yes it does still contain protein and is still called a pot roast but through the cooking process other components of the meat have completely been altered :) I think the point of drinking water specifically and documenting it on a weight loss site would be to quench your thirst calorie free rather than hydrating with juice etc. (as for the 5 extra calories coffee adds this may be insignificant to some but perhaps not to others)
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.
    The myth that won't die, no matter how many times we post the Mayo Clinic links.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661 - Caffeine is only a diuretic in extremely large quantities.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 - for hydration purposes, all fluids count toward your total.

Per your link:
    "caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day."

But just one venti from starbucks has 415 mg.
    http://www.energyfiend.com/the-complete-guide-to-starbucks-caffeine

So - yeah. Maybe that's why the "myth" won't die. Coffeehouses have some VERY strong blends these days.

Given that the OP mentioned he drank a lot of coffee (and using my personal definition of a lot of coffee), I thought it was worth mentioning. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm to tired....

...as an emerald is to green.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Since nobody has linked to the most sensible thread on MFP about this topic yet:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

Let's end all the silliness. I'll quote it for those who can't be bothered to click the above link (heck, I'll even bold the important parts to make it easier):
    Obviously, water is not a myth, but there are two main myths or misconceptions that abound: 1) you need at least eight glasses of water a day, and 2) only water hydrates you.

1) You need at least eight glasses of water a day

Proper hydration is required to flush toxins from vital organs, carry nutrients to your cells and a host of other things. However, the question is, how much do we need? The ‘eight glasses a day’ is a recommendation that is seen a lot, including here.

It is not completely clear where the 8 glasses a day came from, but there is no evidence to support the requirement.

Heinz Valtin did an extensive review of this recommendation, which was published in the American Journal of Physiology (http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.long). He concluded that there is lack of any evidence supporting the eight glasses a day. “I have found no scientific proof that we must “drink at least eight glasses of water a day,” nor proof, it must be admitted, that drinking less does absolutely no harm. However, the published data available to date strongly suggest that, with the exception of some diseases and special circumstances, such as strenuous physical activity, long airplane flights, and climate, we probably are currently drinking enough and possibly even more than enough.”

In fact, in extreme circumstance, drinking excessive amounts of water can actually be dangerous, resulting in hyponatraemia (water intoxication).

So how much water, or other fluids, should you drink a day? That depends on your personal circumstances including how active you are, climate, how much fluid you get from your diet and your general health. The following is a quote from the Mayo Clinic: “Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake or have health issues, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's right for you.”

2) Only water hydrates you

The simple answer is that you can obtain fluids for hydration from beverages and food. It is not just plain water that hydrates you and caffeine is basically no more a diuretic than water is unless consumed in large quantities, and even then, the diuretic effect is minimal. You do obviously have to count the calories in your beverages/food.

For the geeks, or if you do not believe me:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 - any beverage counts

"beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute"

"What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake."

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/2/165.short flavored plain water counts

"Inclusion of plain drinking water compared to exclusion of plain drinking water in the diet did not affect the markers of hydration used in this study."

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short any beverage counts

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

http://bjsportmed.com/content/40/5/406.abstract sports drinks can hydrate more than plain water in some situations

"Ad libitum consumption of a CHO-E drink may be more effective than water in minimising fluid deficits and mean core temperature responses during tennis and other similar training in adolescent athletes."

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/592S.short food counts

"Various reports indicate that humans receive 20–25% of their daily water intake from food. Fruits, vegetables and other high-moisture foods, therefore, make an important contribution to total fluid intake."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."

http://jap.physiology.org/content/83/4/1152.abstract? interesting one about alcohol post exercise and recovery

“There appears to be no difference in recovery from dehydration whether the rehydration beverage is alcohol free or contains up to 2% alcohol, but drinks containing 4% alcohol tend to delay the recovery process.”

In the interest of clarity, this post is not intended to encourage people not to drink water – it has zero calories and is free/cheap, but to try to clear up any misunderstandings with regard to hydration.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    two hydrogens and one oxygen.

H20!

Ask Bobby Boucher
    Bobbie2_zpsd67b1b7e.gif
    Bobbie1_zps2f511ad2.gif

Bahahahaha this made my day!!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    any form of water is good...i usually count washing my hands as a 1/2 cup because my skin absorbs it :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I only bathe my inside with what is fit to bathe my outside. I wont shower in tea or coffee or club soda.
    So I guess that coffee enema is right out then?

You're my daddy's age.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

sure it is, next time you go to get a coffee from a cafe, i hope they give you a mug of hot water :drinker: since its you know, the same exact thing anyway.