Is DAIRY bad for your waistline/weight?

Options
123457»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So everyone tells you something different, but I'd like opinions anyways. I'm trying to change up my diet some, and I have added in a protein mix. I prefer the taste of it with milk instead of water, but if I'm really trying to go easy on the calories for the day, I will chug it with water. (Yuck!) My question is this...I don't eat a lot of dairy anyways, but I've been told a lot of dairy is bad on your waistline and will help contribute to belly fat. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this or can someone tell me the truth please...(and yes, I already add fruits to help make it taste better.)
    Thanks! :)

Dairy has been my friend so far.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    No. Trust me. No
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Thought I'd throw my two cents in on this post. So...here it is. Dairy as we now see it in our local stores is mostly processed and not good for our body. ALL man made dairy is full of chemicals and flavoring to allow pasteurization and maintain shelf life.

<snip>

Hello back,

All food is processed. Everything is made up of chemicals.

:flowerforyou:
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    well i have an opinion and nothing more... depending on who donated to what orginazation is what is good or bad that year. Dairy farmers orginizations donate to American Heart Association then milk is a heart healthy snack! lol I feel like you just have to try what works for you. I eat cheese and cottage cheese and it doesn't seem to make a difference for me. Good luck in your quest!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I met with a trainer 2 years ago, he told me no dairy. He also had me take beans and starches out of my diet. I ate nuts, fruits, veggies and lean meats and lost 10lbs in two weeks (exception: yogurt, I told him I needed my yogurt - girls... you know what I mean). Went from 175lbs to 165lbs. I eased up a bit on that diet and had an occasional bowl of cereal (with almond milk) and a few treats here and there. I ended up losing 30 lbs in about 5 months. I don't know if the lack of dairy was a huge contribution to my weight loss, but I think it was a factor.
    Since then I gained back 15 so I'm here again.
    It isn't a concrete answer, but maybe it'll help you...
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It probably depends a lot on how your body does with dairy. I can't have a lot of dairy, because I am lactose intolerant and it makes me bloat. So that definitely affects my waistline.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I eat a metric ton of cheese, eat yogurt for breakfast daily, and drink heavy cream in my coffee everyday and have lost almost 20 pounds. So. There's that. I love dairy! The reason it contributes to weight loss is because of the protein in it, but like anything else, it needs to be done in moderation. Dietary fat is NOT the enemy!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Switch to beer.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants an escape goat as to why they gain fat/not lose fat it seems.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I added diet soda and it took me straight from a cut to a bulk.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i dont personally think so.... i eat dairy daily (almost). i love Fage yogurt....and it has a ton of protein. i've lost the weight i wanted to all while eating dairy.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm going the low carb route so I need to get most of my calories from fat. Because of that I've been making sure I use full dairy. Whole milk, heavy cream, lots of butter. I use alot of dairy. Dairy isn't my largest source of fat calories (bacon is - hah), but it's one of the largest. So far I've lost 32 pounds in 6 weeks.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd read through 5 pages worth of posts about MILK! :huh:

Ok, I only skimmed through (har) but still, riveting stuff, thanks for playing everyone :drinker: <-- and that's almond milk btw, love cheese and yogurt but drinking straight cow's milk grosses me out.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    i would say yes... because its macros are difficult to fit into a diet.

:huh:

high fat, moderate protein mostly, and not particularly high in micros.. im guessing you are refering to cheese n milk only dairy i usually do is 1% milk, eggs, or 1% cottage cheese... as for regular cheese i stay away from it.. it fuccs me up.

Eggs aren't dairy.

You mean cows don't lay eggs?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    well i have an opinion and nothing more... depending on who donated to what orginazation is what is good or bad that year. Dairy farmers orginizations donate to American Heart Association then milk is a heart healthy snack! lol I feel like you just have to try what works for you. I eat cheese and cottage cheese and it doesn't seem to make a difference for me. Good luck in your quest!

That might be the case in the US I don't know but it is not worldwide, there are plenty of organisations and researchers that are independent of that funding stream. Plenty of scientific journals that are rigorously peer reviewed including quality of the study design and conclusions drawn, unless you are intimating the results are falsified?
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

What is an "escape goat"?
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    There are always two sides on this argument, you should research and gain knowledge on both sides and judge for yourself what you feel comfortable with. Some people handle dairy easily and some dont.

I would suggest experimenting and eliminate it for awhile and see if you feel any different. I myself did go vegan at the beginning of last year and I felt a huge difference when I eliminated the meat and dairy. But i jumped in too quickly before i was prepared and didnt stick with it no matter how good I felt. I am now trying to take baby steps to get back there, i am starting with a pescatarian approach then will progress over time to vegan. I am choosing this because i have a medical condition that is supposed to benefit from the restrictions, so i am giving it a try. I enjoy cooking now so it makes it easier to be creative w my choices.

I dont eat a huge amount of dairy, but i am trying to buy it organic to avoid hormones and chemicals. I have a hormone issue and my dr said best to steer clear of things that could have an effect on my hormones, also why i try to not eat much soy products.

Good luck! Ultimately you wont know which is best for u till you find out for yourself. Our bodies react differently to different foods, wont really know unless you try :)