Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Please be more specific as to where you are traveling. The continents of North America and South America are quite large, encompase hundreds of countries and all have different ruling bodies of government controlling food safety. Some do a great job, others not so much.

Hundreds of countries? What map are you looking at?
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is actually an excellent post.
    Thank you. Your dad taught you well.

Glad to help! Our system isn't perfect, but with a bit of common sense you'll be just fine.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just because "bad food" gets attention does not men it is worse in certain countries, maybe the media just is better at telling you about it. The US has the FDA which regularly monitors imports and domestic food to meet their required levels of contaminents.

Oh, and FYI.. raw milk is also a very high cause of E. Coli poisoning.

Just fyi, The FDA monitors less than 1% of imports. Domestic food evaluation is managed by over 2000 local and state agencies and the FDA does not have primary responsibility.

The last big E. coli scare in Germany was in 2011.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Please be more specific as to where you are traveling. The continents of North America and South America are quite large, encompase hundreds of countries and all have different ruling bodies of government controlling food safety. Some do a great job, others not so much.

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.
    Well played.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    funniest troll thread I've read all day. And I've read a lot of them today...
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure if that area has tube steak, but if they do, you HAVE to try it. I sure love me some tube steak, I enjoy it about once or twice a week.
    You should really try to up your intake. It will do wonders for your weight loss...
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes. We in the US do not have good food inspection so do not eat any raw meat, raw eggs etc. Our congress has steadfastly refused ( at the request of the food industry that pays them) to require bacterialogical testing of food and has slashed funding for the food inspection we do have. The "solution" to the problem here is to slap a sticker on the meat saying "cook thoroughly to avoid illness".
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find creamofsumyoungguy at any Asian place while you're in Cali.

Also, I'm not sure if that area has tube steak, but if they do, you HAVE to try it. I sure love me some tube steak, I enjoy it about once or twice a week.

Oh.. ^ that ^ right there is GOLD!!!

Dude, I was born in Colombia (South America) and now live in NYC... what kind of food are you reading about?
    Just don't go to dodgy places and wash your hands regularly... if you're really worries only drink bottled water... beyond that, unless you're going to a very poor or war torn area, I really don't know what to tell you.
  • asmithstl
    Options
    Are you completely retarded or is it an "it comes and goes" thing...????
    I just spit out my lemon water on my keyboard at this one.... people are looking at me.

Someone calling another person retarded brought you to that kind of laughter? Wow.

I find it easier to work out without the stick up my behind...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Well played.

Slow clap, bravo.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    You should be able to find creamofsumyoungguy at any Asian place while you're in Cali.

Oh.. ^ that ^ right there is GOLD!!!

Dude, I was born in Colombia (South America) and now live in NYC... what kind of food are you reading about?
    Just don't go to dodgy places and wash your hands regularly... if you're really worries only drink bottled water... beyond that, unless you're going to a very poor or war torn area, I really don't know what to tell you.

Just read all the thread here about dairy, wheat, poultry., etc.
    Colombia es un pais muy lindo, pero no mas me toco visitarlo una vez.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I am surprised to see a mom with a young son laughing at someone being called retarded. No stick up my @ss, I just find that word to be offensive, especially as the mother of a child with autism. I was surprised to see a grown man call another grown man that, but even more surprised to see you laughing so hard at it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I am surprised to see a mom with a young son laughing at someone being called retarded. No stick up my @ss, I just find that word to be offensive, especially as the mother of a child with autism. I was surprised to see a grown man call another grown man that, but even more surprised to see you laughing so hard at it.

It is unfortunate that this thread has gone down that path. That to my put-on silliness in this included responses with gay-bashing innuendo or mental handicap as a put-down? We could do without.
    The irony is that I played an uneducated Yahoo (a la Gulliver's Travels) to point out a little about the ambient Orthorexia on the site and we are ending this thread with a real yahoo-moment. Too bad.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

Relative to your concerns this is what you should know about food in America

Unpasteurized milk and raw cheese are generally unavailable

Most of the eggs are produced in factory farms (especially in Iowa) and are a risk for salmonella contamination. I eat them in caesar salads and haven't gotten sick yet but do so at your own risk

No problem with peanut butter but most commercial brands have added sugar and hydrogenated oils

I have yet to see raw minced pork anywhere here. If you find it look for Berkshire pork or other free range product. Factory farming of pork in this country is pretty disgusting.

Only eat steak tartare in a high end restaurant where they grind the meat on the premises. Most American ground beef is produced at meat packing plants and shipped in tubes. E coli contamination is not uncommon

SOme of the best oysters in the world are found in American waters and are safe to eat in good seafood restaurants where safe. Same with sushi. Some Japanese business associates claim that it's better than in Japan. Especially in the late summer and fall months when tuna, fluke ,seabass and other species are caught in local waters. Just follow your nose. If the restaurant smells like dead fish don't eat there. If you're going to be in New York you must try the Oyster Bar in Grand Central station. You can choose from 20 varieties of oysters on any given day

I suggest you buy or visit online the Zagat guide to restaurants where you can read reviews on most good restaurants in most
    cities
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fast food in America is far worse for you. Where will you be heading? Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are some of the freshest and best grocery stores in the world and are in the US. Buy healthy groceries that look, smell, feel fresh and when in doubt, skip something or cook your meat. You'll be fine. :)
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hey pal what have you been reading? You are so misinformed . You need to do some real research Trust me you will not be eating unpasteurized cheese and raw minced pork here. The USDA will not like that.
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    yeah I think that we eat a lot worse than many countries purely because it is a nation of greed and restaurants, and food makers use the cheapest ingredients which just so happens to be the unhealthiest. But I don't know for sure how other countries are but I have just noticed that. So good luck trying to find some good food in America!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, pack two weeks worth of raw dairy and meat. Enjoy your trip!

I really wish MFP had a "like" button!

oh me too!!
    h
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg

What is this madness.