Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding. I have a friend whose Mom contracted "mad cow disease" after traveling in Europe. I have never heard of anyone getting it in this country.

Oh, I don't know.

I once dated an American lady and she was freakin' nuts!
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    at_first_i_was_like_obama.5phf1eu9ea4kmccko8080gcc8.ck2u8j60r56w4kkwoc8k4k4kk.th.jpeg

Love it!!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest you bring a gun out here so you could feel a little safer. But then i remembered only criminals are allowed to purchase guns out there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding. I have a friend whose Mom contracted "mad cow disease" after traveling in Europe. I have never heard of anyone getting it in this country.

BSE map

320px-Global_mad_cow_cases_map.PNG

Are you concerned about BSE? If I was, do you think I would eat stake tartare?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I was going to suggest you bring a gun out here so you could feel a little safer out here. But then i remembered only criminals are allowed to purchase guns out there.

Oh, I've heard this one before. I think you are right. Here the criminals have the right to purchase guns. That is why there is such a high gun crime rate in Germany. Next thing, you'll tell me is that my socialized medicine is bad and pinko. Right on, Maurice!

Again, I'm just looking for advise about eating "safe" food. Not recalled anything. And raw, 'cause I like raw.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Go to the country fair for some deep fried butter!!!

Sounds great - I once had deep fried alligator in Iowa during a bike ride. Tasted like buttery chicken. But I like my butter, like I like my saddles - raw.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea. Since you seem like a smart man maybe you should read the biographies of all the U.S Olympians that keep winning gold metals for the United States. Maybe you can see what they eat so you can have an idea of how this country does it to be the best in the world and then you will have a good idea of what to eat while you're out here :) Have a safe trip.

Thanks. I've read about Phelps diet, not sure I can eat that much. But I'm not trying to earn an Olympic medal.
    But speaking of medals - the average US diet/exercise/program doesn't produce a lot of atheletes; given the size of the population one might expect more results.

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Great Britain seems to get more than half the number of gold medals that the US gets and they are way smaller.

But, this isn't a pissing match about the worlds greatest or not. I'm just a traveler trying to get some advise. So you are saying, stay only in tourist areas? Is this a real concern in your eyes?

That’s because the United States doesn’t go after medals like Badminton, Tug-of-war and Rrowing. Your greatest Olympian of all time rows a friggin boat. lol

Europe even botched the lighting of the torch by not having David Becham light it instead you picked some kids to represent the future of Rowing?
  • Not2thin
    Not2thin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most of what you list is available here in the States, although the minced pork thing is something I've never encountered. Our food is safe and we have plenty of well established organic and raw food shops. What area are you visiting?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    That’s because the United States doesn’t go after medals like Badminton, Tug-of-war and Rrowing. Your greatest Olympian of all time rows a friggin boat. lol

The OP isn't British.

Even if he was you would still be wrong.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I have a great idea. Since you seem like a smart man maybe you should read the biographies of all the U.S Olympians that keep winning gold metals for the United States. Maybe you can see what they eat so you can have an idea of how this country does it to be the best in the world and then you will have a good idea of what to eat while you're out here :) Have a safe trip.

Thanks. I've read about Phelps diet, not sure I can eat that much. But I'm not trying to earn an Olympic medal.
    But speaking of medals - the average US diet/exercise/program doesn't produce a lot of atheletes; given the size of the population one might expect more results.

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Great Britain seems to get more than half the number of gold medals that the US gets and they are way smaller.

But, this isn't a pissing match about the worlds greatest or not. I'm just a traveler trying to get some advise. So you are saying, stay only in tourist areas? Is this a real concern in your eyes?

My greatest Olympian of all times? Wha?

I think national pride is great, all that and a box of chocolates. But I'm from wherever you think I am.
    What great sporting spirit - "those don't count" - lol, back at ya.
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about being shot by a gun then getting sick by eating bad food!
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    at_first_i_was_like_obama.5phf1eu9ea4kmccko8080gcc8.ck2u8j60r56w4kkwoc8k4k4kk.th.jpeg

This pretty much sums up this entire post.
  • twistedlefty
    Options
    get a frikkin clue,
    when someone says i'm from "America" or i'm an "American", do you really have to wonder if they mean Panama, or Belize???
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stick to high quality shopping. Raw eating of eggs and meats is not recommended, but I'm not sure what the difference would be here versus where you are. Welcome to the US and enjoy your stay. I think you'll be fine here.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    My husband and I travel to the US every year, and have eaten food there (of course!). If you're looking on certain sites, anything can seem much worse than it is. Just be wise about what you choose to eat, that's all. If you go there and eat some double cheeseburgers - well... haha.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. This ranks pretty high on the list of stupidest threads. We're not all dying from the foods here. Sure...there have been bad things out there. And it sucks that the bad stuff gets through. But generally...we're all surviving, even eating food in America.

And smoking doesn't cause cancer, because not all smokers get it, uh huh. Mortality or morbidity? Lifestyle diseases including obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and stroke not a problem in the US?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about being shot by a gun then getting sick by eating bad food!
    In my 36 years in America, I have never been shot by a gun. And I don't know, personally, a single person who has been shot by a gun. That includes my grandfathers who fought in WWII.

I have had food poisoning once, though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    In my 36 years in America, I have never been shot by a gun. And I don't know, personally, a single person who has been shot by a gun. That includes my grandfathers who fought in WWII.

I have had food poisoning once, though.

How did you get it?
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

The OP isn't British.

I wasn’t talking to the OP I was quoting the people you deleted from my quote.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

The OP isn't British.

I wasn’t talking to the OP I was quoting the people you deleted from my quote.

Um, no one was deleted from your quote.
    It was just you and me talking. I'm not British. But if you like I can do some Monty Python sketches.
    I am the OP - see the top of this age if you want to continue our conversation.