Tall Gals Check in - Motivation for 5'8" and above

Options

Replies

• clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    5'9" here. I started stared last February (had joined before that but never did anything with it) and never put my true starting weight as I was too embarrassed to admit to anyone.

SW was 213
    CW is 171
    and I am looking at 160 for a weight, I'll decide when I get there if I want to go lower.

I am making this a life style change. If I want to eat "those bad foods" I do, just not overdo. I try to stay within my calorie goals for the week. Workouts are actually something I enjoy and no longer that dreaded thing that I could find any excuse to avoid.

I am staying with it. This has been great for the way I feel about my body and the way I feel about being healthy. I now enjoy the process of being healthy!
  • ElizabethRaeBarnes
    ElizabethRaeBarnes Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9'' and 25 years old. I was over 200 pounds in 2011. Now I am 164 pounds. I am trying to get to 130's again.
    My motivations/goals:
    ❀ Showing off my long *kitten* legs- I want them to be celulite free too!
    ❀ Running clears my head even though I look funny running.
    ❀ I have always wanted to have 'Hot skinny sex'
    ❀ I feel better when I am smaller and can study longer in college classes
    ❀ People/strangers treat me much better the smaller I am - odd how that works
    ❀ Flexibility- the smaller/healthier I am, the more flexible I am
    ❀ Living longer. I want to get the most out of my life.
    ❀ I gave my son up for adoption to protect him from a bad life/situation. When he meets me in the future I want him to like me and be proud of me rather than think, "Im glad she gave me away."
    ❀ Be a yoga instructor someday!

I am eating clean and training 6 days a week to get to my goal! Who is with me?!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Is 5'8" tall? My perspective must be skewed, growing up in a mostly Dutch community. 5'8" would be what I consider average, maybe a tad short.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    5'10". I'm at 158 right now having lost 32 pounds since July via mfp but I have weighed over 300 lbs in the past. I love the app. This is my 3rd go around with the weight loss and I've learned more in this 32 pounds than I did losing the pounds in the past.

I'm looking to lose about 10 more pounds, but I'm happy where I am. 10 more would just be icing :)
  • mlgarcia5
    Options
    Hi gals,

Congrats on your 50lb weightless!!! LOVE your before/after pics. I've NEVER posted or joined any kind of online group, but today is my day!! Your post struck me b/c I am tall also (5'8) and am starting today at 198 lbs. My goal weight is 160lbs. I can no longer blame my belly on my "baby" b/c she is now 3 1/2 years old. :) It's time for me to take control and start feeling comfortable/confident in my body and in my clothes again. I would appreciate any advice or motivation you could give...

Thanks!!!
    I'm not a success story yet, but a work in progress. I have gotten past my halfway mark though! I've lost a total of 50lbs so far and am "overweight" working on getting to "healthy" BMI. I've been on MFP for just over half a year. 2013 is going to be my year to get "healthy"! :D

Height: 5'11"
    SW: 247
    CW: 197
    GW: 165

Best of luck to all of you, I know you can do it! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I've seen a bunch of other threads for tall gals, they pop up and die off, so I don't think there will be a problem with starting a new one. :)

Untitled-1.jpg
  • mbuczkowski
    Options
    I am 5'10" and just started 5 weeks ago....down 25lbs...
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    <---5-8 and around 140 in my profile pic, taken in October, still right around there give or take 3-5 pounds. At my heaviest I was 170. Lowest was 130, but I think I'm pretty good with where I'm at now. I CrossFit twice a week and am training for a half marathon. LOVE the muscles I'm getting!
  • mlgarcia5
    Options
    Our measurements seem almost identical. I just started today at 198lbs - I have a goal of 160 like you.
    Congrats on your amazing progress so far!!! Any tips for a newbie like me???
    Thanks!! :smile:
    Here! I'm 5'8" so I just make the cut. SW: 275/ CW: 199/ GW 1: 160
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", and went from 215 to 125. My before and after pics are in my profile. :)
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Started out June 2010 at 237...my heaviest! I'm 5'8....39 years old...two and have year later...167...goal weight 150 :) Pictures on my profile.

Anythings possible!!!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    5'10" here. Always happy to have new friends. I have lost 40lbs and am now 247.5lbs. Am hoping to get to around 175lbs but I am going to concentrate more on body fat % that BMI. No photos yet (I need to sort that out soon). Also, I am eating 2400 cals a day (including exercise) so am particularly interested to have friends who eat more to lose more!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1.5" and 87kg (191lb). I seem to carry a lot weight in my legs and not as much above the waist, and I have a flat bum. No photos yet, but I'm hoping someone my height posts an "After" photo because I've never been slim and have no clear picture in my head of what I'm aiming for, or what is possible, which kind of makes it hard to motivate myself!
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    Im 5'9 and wanted to lose baby weight after nursing (which did nothing,weight loss wise)I was at 220 while pregnant and only lost 8 lbs so I joined in june of last year and have lost about 50 lbs I am at 164 and had 160 as goal but ultimate goal will probably be 150 or 140.

101_3118.jpg the picture was halloween I was probably 170 something its the most current body picture I have
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    101_3086.jpg

101_3847.jpg last week this one was taken
  • LyndseyLouCalgary
    Options
    I can't seem to upload a pic from my iPhone. I'm lyndsey. I'm 5 ft 9 and I went from 258lbs to 220 lbs. My goal is 150lbs :)
  • kateygirl13
    Options
    I'm 5ft 11 and have just joined MFP
    Excited to get started :)
  • m1oscar
    m1oscar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am 5'-8" and have found that once I get in the 140's it is very hard to stay there- I am about 8 pounds away (158cw) and trying to get to a place where I can maintain indefinitely! Feel free to add me as a friend! I am encouraged by others losses and would love the support!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Im just under 5'9" and currently weight 162 pounds. I started at 170 and my goal is about 150 but Ill keep going until I am happy with my body shape and no longer cringe when i see photos!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Congrats on your 50lb weightless!!! LOVE your before/after pics. I've NEVER posted or joined any kind of online group, but today is my day!! Your post struck me b/c I am tall also (5'8) and am starting today at 198 lbs. My goal weight is 160lbs. I can no longer blame my belly on my "baby" b/c she is now 3 1/2 years old. :) It's time for me to take control and start feeling comfortable/confident in my body and in my clothes again. I would appreciate any advice or motivation you could give...

Thanks!!!

You can definitely do it! There are a million of different ways people will tell you to try things on here, and the best thing is to find what works for you. I have vein damage in my leg, so one of my goals for myself was to do something low impact at first (also I had a lot of back problems from being obese). So I started with yoga/pilates a couple times a week. Then I added in the jogging program C25K which is really popular on here. It was great for me as it helped strengthen my leg a lot. I can now jog longer and faster than before my leg damage. I also bike 3-5 miles on most days to get to my college, which has now kind of replaced the jogging and yoga.

I haven't modified my diet too much, but I've always loved my fruits and vegetables. I limit my beverages to only one caffeinated beverage and one non-caffeinated drink a day (I also try to drink coffee or tea instead of soda). That way I force myself to get my daily water intake. I set MFP to "lose 2 lbs" a week and then when it got uncomfortably low (it changes with your weight) I changed it to 1 1/2 a week.

A lot of people on here are huge advocators for lifting weights and have really great results. I can't afford a gym membership right now, so I'm looking into what I can do at home. A lot of people also really like the 30 Day Shred and Insanity programs. There's another, 90 something, I don't quite recall. I think those are video programs you can do at home quite easily.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8! Add me xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!