How many here have "never been thin"

Options

Replies

• I've been a chubster for forever.
    There's a certain fear that goes with never having been thin before that you're bound to fail and plateau at something heavier than what you want to be.

Kinda makes an adventure out of it, right?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yep. Once I hit puberty (and my PCOS kicked in), I started gaining. I was never "thin" before that, but just a tiny bit overweight.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Me...always been overweight and have never experienced how it feels to be a "normal" size. But with hard work and determination I truly believe that this will be my year to experience how it feels to walk into any store and pick out an outfit that I want to wear...not just an outfit that fits. I started my journey in April 2012 and already feel 100 times better! We will get there for the first time in our lives and it will feel AMAZING!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    When I look back at pictures of my childhood I am thin until the age of about eight - until I was eight I lived with my grandparents who cooked fresh meals from whole foods and I ate a balanced diet of veggies, fruit, meat, and grains. Then I start to get chubby from the age of eight to eighteen when I lived with my mother who only purchased and "cooked" convenience foods such as frozen TV dinners and Chef Boyardee canned crap when she wasn’t picking up huge buckets of fried chicken from KFC or the drive through at McD’s. Once I went to university and had more control over what I was eating and had access to a gym I was definitely in better shape – ate more fruits, veggies and worked out…but also drank a lot of beer! I was down to a size eight though so I would say that was on the tinner side?
    The last few years with working crazy hours and having a lot of client meetings/dinners out I gained 20 pounds. So while I can’t say I’ve been thin in anything resembling recent memory I think I can work towards being healthier and hopefully a thinner, but more muscular, body will be the result of my efforts!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yup. Weighed more when I was 12 than I do now.

Not sure if it was 12, but close. Right around then I had to start shopping in the same plus sized store as my mom. She always seemed really disappointed in me, but looking back I think it's more that she didn't want me to have to go through the same thing.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Same here, and it sucked. Came out as a 12 pound baby, doomed from the start. I weigh less now than I did in middle school, and don't necessarily want to be thin, but my goal is to be fit. I've found out though that having the body won't make you happy, you have to be happy with yourself first, then work towards your goal. Stay positive and keep going :)
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Me! I have never been a fit person; and I am determined to change that!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Right here! Even after losing all my weight I still have remnants of pudge around the midsection...which means there has been no sign of a 6-pack as of yet!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have never felt thin. But I look back on my weight from 20 years ago and I was definitely at a healthy number. High end of the healthy number, but still healthy. Amazing that we always feel big, regardless of what the number is.

My goal is to hit the number I was at when I was 26, before I had my first child. :smile:
  • aadutton
    Options
    me. MAYBE in my kindergarten picture i was "normal" size, but all downhill (or uphill?) from there. i went bungee jumping as a junior high-schooler and they have to weigh you, i recall weighing in at like 178...and that's honestly the last time i remember the 100's. and of course, that was extremely overweight for a 7th or 8th grader. plan on changing that!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I was thin in high school (even if I didn't know it. Bigger than average so I thought I was fat. dumb) but overweight since then. Most people in my family are obese (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings) so I had gotten to the point where I thought it was genetic and I would always be at least overweight. When I started to lose weight, I wanted to get to a healthy weight but at first didn't really believe it was possible and thought I would be so happy just to lose 60 and be "overweight" only. Anyway, it took time but was actually a lot easier than I thought. I always eat lots of food and I enjoy exercising now. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • DonC2013
    Options
    I was very thin as a kid and I hated it. If you would have told me at age 15 that I'd be counting calories some day I would have though you were nuts
  • christy3565
    Options
    I have never been thin in my life and honestly as long as I get to a place where I'm healthy and comfortable with myself I'm ok with not being "thin". I do have one goal. It's to be under 200 for the first time in my adult life, and I will get there :happy:
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    i've never been thin, i've never been obese, i've been fat and i've been inbetween. i want to be thin for once. i bet it feels amazing.
    i know it's not the genetics because my sisters were so thin before they had children and their kids are thin.... i will be skinny!!!!!!!!!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've never been thin. I was born weighing 10lbs! The truth is...I dont want to be thin. I've never been told that I couldnt be thin. In fact all my life I was told I SHOULD be thin like everyone else in my family. I'd rather be bulky and muscular. When I look back, I was happiest at about 180lbs - that was in Jr. High.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i was smaller and not fat by all means. but i was always a couple sizes bigger then my female friends. i was a steady female size 12 in middle school and highschool. i started to put on weight when i got a job and a license!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh now less than I did when I turned 16. And I am in 10x better shape. But I've never been "thin" and never will be "thin". No matter what my bones aren't going to get smaller, my shoulders won't get narrow, and I'm not willing to let muscles atrophy for the scale. I'm gonna look great, and I'm going to hit my goal.

Genetics most definitely plays a part, but shouldn't be a broadly thrown about excuse for parents letting their kids get fat.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've been "bigger" since the 3rd grade. So that's over half my life given I'm only 20 now.
  • Queenb1212
    Queenb1212 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! I have never been a thin child, but I'm about to find out. Let's do this!!!
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Me, definitely. I'm pretty sure I'll always be flabby because of it. There's no way my skin's ever going to shrink down to fit my new body when it's never had to be smaller. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll take looking fat and flabby as long as I'm healthier.