Would you bring your 13 year old to the gym?

Options

Replies

• Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    She does not just sit there the whole time but of my workout is getting to intense then she sits out for a few.....I feel it's a better waste of her tome than sitting in front of the tv

I think its great! I mean kids now sit on the couch with an iPad and play PS3 and do NADA! It not like your psycho gym mom whos forcing her to workout, you just want her to be active. I remember growing up my dad would run and I would ride my bike next to him around and around and around. Good for you!
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes! I would definately do it
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    At my gym there are classes for 11 year olds and up...so yes...why not, if they are interested?
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would try to educate him but we can't even have a productive conversation. :grumble:

Plain and simple...if you have the primary custody you can do what you want. If he tries to take you to court he will lose haha. The judges won't rule in his favor.

As a parent on the other end of this spectrum - I HATE this response. The goal is to not snub your nose at the other parent's opinions or concerns - but to work together. I have an ex that does just that - does what the hell she wants when she wants with HER kids to hell with me. Well you know what - they are my kids too. Imagine if courts decided if YOU got to raise your kids or not.

To be fair, neither parent can dictate what the other parent does on their time (outside of a school or medical decision). There is no way I would seek approval from my ex every time I wanted to do anything for and with my kids. Likewise, he would drive me crazy if he had to ask me all the time. I don't love everything they do with him, but it's not my business so long as they are safe. And vice versa.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I hope to, except sping to fall because we'll be being active out in the fresh air and will only have to go to the gym in the driving rain & hail. Ask me in 12 years when my daughter is 13
  • MSM3M3
    MSM3M3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids but i take my 13 year old sister to the gym with me just the fear of her reaching my weight at my age but she loves it or you can try sports we do Wii as a family not necessarily exercise games but boxing things to actually get you off the couch dance games etc.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's afraid she will "bulk up."

You know how some guys are about women weight lifting...
  • starryskies_16
    starryskies_16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's up to your daughter whether she goes to the gym with you or not. I think it needs to be pointed out to the father that she is old enough to make up her own mind and perhaps suggest that she talks to her father about it? From all that you've said, she likes going with you, and at the end of the day that is all that matters.
  • justvap1
    Options
    I would try to educate him but we can't even have a productive conversation. :grumble:

Plain and simple...if you have the primary custody you can do what you want. If he tries to take you to court he will lose haha. The judges won't rule in his favor.

As a parent on the other end of this spectrum - I HATE this response. The goal is to not snub your nose at the other parent's opinions or concerns - but to work together. I have an ex that does just that - does what the hell she wants when she wants with HER kids to hell with me. Well you know what - they are my kids too. Imagine if courts decided if YOU got to raise your kids or not.

To be fair, neither parent can dictate what the other parent does on their time (outside of a school or medical decision). There is no way I would seek approval from my ex every time I wanted to do anything for and with my kids. Likewise, he would drive me crazy if he had to ask me all the time. I don't love everything they do with him, but it's not my business so long as they are safe. And vice versa.

I am a very fair parent and ex often times very accommodating to him and the children's needs. we both prefer to stay out of the court system, we just can't communicate without it turning in to more of an argument. we do speak on an absolute need to basis. the problem is even after two years he harbors so much resentment toward s me for leaving him after 13 years that he can't get past it and just be an adult and parent.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I am a very fair parent and ex often times very accommodating to him and the children's needs. we both prefer to stay out of the court system, we just can't communicate without it turning in to more of an argument. we do speak on an absolute need to basis. the problem is even after two years he harbors so much resentment toward s me for leaving him after 13 years that he can't get past it and just be an adult and parent.

I have joint custody of my daughter and it really just depends on what day of the week it is as to how we get along . That being said you have to pick your fights and make sure that its your child's best interest in mind and not something that your bringing up from the past between you two. This can obviously happen from both sides even if you are " over it ". I have my arguements with my ex because I have my own beliefs in how my child should be raised. I don't believe that I am doing this to hinder what she's doing but to have my own input and be active in my daughters life. It's not always just trying to get back at you or sabotage. Though that happens to the best of people. Something made you split up and that just doesn't go away. You're still going to be bothered by those things but its necessary to put that aside.

Sorry for the rant probably just trying to convince myself
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old has attended my highland games competitions since he was 6 months old. And I think he's been paying attention - he doesn't throw things like a baseball or how you expect toddlers to throw. He's throwing with a wide swing like the weights for distance, or launching them up in the air like a caber. There's a kid's highland games (for 3 and up) being held later this year at one of the ones that I like to compete at - I bet he's going to have fun!

Kids DO want to do what you do - if they're old enough, take them to the gym. Screw what the grumpus says - he's being bitter.
  • hnuzzolilo
    hnuzzolilo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your a great mama for showing your beautiful daughter these wonderful habbits. Even tho she cant keep up ;)

(added the poster to this topic is my bff, and our daughters are bff's too.)
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My son ran his first 5k when he was 6. yes 6. I ran slower to stick with him and he finished in 31 minutes. He's now in middle school cross country and loves it. My daughter prefers gymnastics and has never expressed an interest in running with me. It's all great!
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If she's just sitting there, then its a waste of her time.

I'd be in favor of my (non existent) kids playing sports or other fun / physical activities (martial arts, dance, swimming, hiking) than running on a treadmill / lifting weights. Difference being that in sports the fitness is a byproduct of a fun activity.

I'd probably be against lifting (for my non existent kids) until they were 16+

Most of the kids that play sport at school or outside of school will stop doing so when they leave school or college. it is a really good think to show them a way of being active that they will be able to continue once they reach adulthood.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't see any downside...Unless it was peppered with negative comments about being overweight and things like that.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Here in SC there is no gym class and no recess. None of the neighborhood kids play outside.

That is craziness! Good thing you are encouraging activity. I can't believe the schools don't have to have gym class. And who doesn't want to play outside? I still do!
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Is her father overweight? He might be insecure and want his daughter to be unhealthy with him so he won't be alone or left behind.

He might also be concerned that she'll hurt herself or someone will say something negative to her in the gym. Overprotective Dad~

Or as others have said, he's worried that this will lead to an unhealthy obsession with her weight/forming an eating disorder.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My father brought us to the gym (the YMCA) when I was 12....

We were also in swimming lessons there.

I started lifting weights when I was 12 at the Y......didn't seem to harm my at all in my teen years.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Yes. Only if they wanted to though, otherwise they would probably be made to do some other sort of curricular activity.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If he enjoys it, then yes!

My nephew is 13 and does P90X with his mother :D