When do you weigh yourself and how often?

Options

Replies

• vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the morning.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because weight fluctuates up and down every day. It has helped me to understand what makes my weight fluctuate, and to emotionally detach myself from the number on the scale. If I gain 2 lbs overnight, I know it's no big deal. If I weighed once a week and saw a 2 lb gain, I'd be wondering what I'd done wrong. If I weigh every day and see a 0.5 lb increase every day for a week, I'd start thinking something wasn't quite right, and adjust my diet.

I weigh first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, before jumping in the shower.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I do daily (morning after bathroom then put on birthday suit) just to see trends as I'm maintaining. The weight fluctuates almost daily but if I see a trend upward or downward, then I make a slight adjustment in calorie intake and wait to see how it pans out. It was helpful when I was loosing also as you can make bad decisions based on a weekly "snapshot". For example if you weigh the day after eating out Mexican food the night before, you could have a spike on the scale. If you use that weight to base your next week on, you can make some bad decisions (way under eating, over exercising, etc). Weighing daily gives you that weight "gain" history (higher weight the next day but returns to normal in a day or two after eating a big meal out) and you make better decisions.

The biggest thing is not over-reacting to small pieces of data.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    to weigh more than this in a week, you will drive yourself nuts. Weight goes up and down all the time.
    Or, you'd accept that weight goes up and down all the time and no longer drive yourself nuts. :smile:
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wiegh myself once a week in the morning. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week. Why not wait the week to see your 2 pounds go away. Water weight may discourage you if you don't weigh in same time of day, and never after a workout.
  • barbiesnd
    barbiesnd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey, I weigh in on Saturday morning (I behave better during the week so I weigh myself before I slack off over the weekend) as soon as I get up and pee. Oh, as yes, naked!!!
  • Wargamergal
    Wargamergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I record my weight once a week - so i try and weigh myself once a week but sometimes i just cant help having a sticky beak and seeing how i am going :)
  • magana81
    Options
    I have barely started this new way of eating, and in my case i prefer to weight in every week.. The scale could go up and down on a daily basis, if you check every day, and if it goes up it will probably make you feel like you did something wrong, when in fact your body is still adjusting to new changes. Once a week is fine and when you see the weight go down its gonna give more incentive to continue what you are doing. :)
  • tearsoflife8747
    Options
    I weigh in every morning after I use the restroom. I only record the weight once a week though. I lost about 50 lbs last year doing this and other things.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Daily, in the morning when I am dry.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I do daily (morning after bathroom then put on birthday suit) just to see trends as I'm maintaining. The weight fluctuates almost daily but if I see a trend upward or downward, then I make a slight adjustment in calorie intake and wait to see how it pans out. It was helpful when I was loosing also as you can make bad decisions based on a weekly "snapshot". For example if you weigh the day after eating out Mexican food the night before, you could have a spike on the scale. If you use that weight to base your next week on, you can make some bad decisions (way under eating, over exercising, etc). Weighing daily gives you that weight "gain" history (higher weight the next day but returns to normal in a day or two after eating a big meal out) and you make better decisions.

The biggest thing is not over-reacting to small pieces of data.
    Same here...I track daily weight and weekly trends.
    Same for belly measurement.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because weight fluctuates up and down every day. It has helped me to understand what makes my weight fluctuate, and to emotionally detach myself from the number on the scale. If I gain 2 lbs overnight, I know it's no big deal. If I weighed once a week and saw a 2 lb gain, I'd be wondering what I'd done wrong. If I weigh every day and see a 0.5 lb increase every day for a week, I'd start thinking something wasn't quite right, and adjust my diet.

I weigh first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, before jumping in the shower.

I do this for those reasons exactly
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was doing once a week, but then switched to once a month. I tend to bloat and retain lots of water before my "visitor" so now I wait until 1.5 weeks after my visitor. :)
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have to say I do weigh myself everyday but it fluctuates. I find sunday morning I'm my lightest so I only log my weight once a week on a sunday.
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, mid week at the same time every week. I never weigh in early in the morning though. I'm not a breakfast eater but do drink coffee in the morning so I weigh in close to noon before lunch a few hours after i have had my coffee.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Several times per day, every day.
  • traciemc
    traciemc Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Yes, this - exactly!
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    I get to obsessed with it and knowing that hormones , water and even BM (sorry ) can affect the results still hard to see a couple up and nice to see it down at least a little :)
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning @ 6:30am after I pee and before I shower with no clothes. (sorry if too much info) :laugh:
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I purposely try not to weigh myself. Which is pretty easy when you don't own a scale. :laugh:

It's wise not to weight yourself too often, I did that before and lost all my mojo the last time I tried losing weight. I plateaued and couldn't break past the 250 mark. I've wizened up now, I don't weigh myself as much and I'm using MFP. Does wonders. I've been on this diet for 8 months now and I've weighed myself 3 times.