When do you weigh yourself and how often?

Options

Replies

• proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    I do that first thing in the morning, everyday. Since I workout 6 out of 7 days, I want to see how and if my diet from the previous day has impacted the weight. I recorded all these into a spreadsheet so that I could see how things trend over my workout program. This daily routine is more of an experiment than out of necessity.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    To get an accurate weight you should weigh at the same time each morning. What you eat and drink can make the scale vary during the day. I've always been a fan of the once a week weigh-in; however, I am currently experimenting with a daily scale check. With daily weighing you have to expect that some days the scale will creep up for no apparent reason and then drop again in a day or two.

My advise - do what is comfortable for you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

never after a workout.

When training for my last half marathon, I weighed before and after long training runs for the sole purpose of making sure I was properly hydrated, but generally speaking I agree that weighing right after working out is not usually a good idea.

For me, I weigh almost every day, first thing in the AM after using the bathroom and before I eat anything or get dressed, but don't record every day, and it's more to look at fluctuations. I consider it victory because when I first started trying to lose weight I weighed myself about 5 times a day and was obsessive about it...once a day for me is improvement :wink:
  • Mytime_73
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning but i tend to do this everyday and im trying my best to Stop!! I would like to only get on the scale atleast twice a month.
  • maadpi
    maadpi Posts: 5
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on a Saturday after I wake! That way I can reward myself if I've been gud all week!
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the self control to only weigh myself once a week.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    every saturday morning
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    When ever I feel like it. No rhyme or reason....
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    every 2 weeks on a monday...

cause every one hates monday... so i use the weight i lost as motivation...
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    i think even once a week is too often if you are reactive to that number. I find it hard not to be affected, even though I know it is meaningless. Once a month at most,
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Everyday, in the morning after taking care of pressing matters.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself holding my bacon every morning then cook three slices and eat it and reweigh it always amazes me i still weigh exactly the same
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday, but only record my weight on Monday mornings.

Used to weigh myself only once a week, but now I got a new scale, and I'll do it every day in the morning now,
    but will only record my weight on Monday mornings.

That way I can look at what I ate the day before, and see whether it worked or not.. I guess ;)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Morning after I drop deuce.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    every morning- after going to the bathroom, it's the first thing i do.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Every Friday morning, first thing...My theory is that if I'm a little over on the calories over the weekend, I've got Monday-Thursday to reign myself in before my next weigh in...Works for me, but everyone's preferences are different:)
  • bunks1003
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. This gives me a sense of where my weight is going and what I need to do better than the day before. I use it more as a motivation tool. However, I only record once a week.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Every single morning, first thing out of bed. I try not to be encouraged or discouraged by daily fluctuations and only record my weight once a week officially. But I track it every day.

Here's what I see as the pro's:
    - It provides an instand snapshot of your previous day. Not calories per se, but sodium and water balance.
    - It helps keep me focused and with an end-goal in sight. It's another tool in my toolbox to stay focused throughout the day.
    - It helps me know what foods tend to make me retain water, bloat, or feel sluggish. It's been an eye-opener.
    - It means every morning of every day, I focus on my weight and my lifestyle.

Here's my con's:
    - It can be demotivating if I get caught up in the number. I have to constantly remind myself daily weights don't really track calorie intake/burned. Weekly weights can, which is why I log the weight once a week.
    - It means every morning of every day, I focus on my weight and my lifestyle.

As long as I don't allow myself to freak out by the stats, I have found much greater success when I weigh daily than when I don't. I'm motivated by facts, stats, and trends.
  • huckleberryhuck
    huckleberryhuck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Monday and Friday. Friday to see how well I did during the week, and Monday to see how bad I was during the weekend, haha.
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every sunday after i've been up for about a half hour...but i will hop on the scale throughout the week just for fun :tongue: it's crazy to see it's ups and downs...as long as i'm good by sunday. Best wishes to you!