pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    He'll change after you're married.

FTW.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Okay guys I need some advice.

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now, and of course I love him. But he can't keep a job for more than 3 to 6 months. During the time I have been with him he has:

been a general contractor (quit)
    opened his own moving business (quit)
    GM at Chipotle (quit after a few weeks)
    GM at Wendys (got fired)
    GM at Hardees (quit)
    GM at KFC (got fired)
    GM at Perkins (got fired)

Thankfully he has always paid his side of the bills (even if he barely scrapes by until he gets another job). I told him its a problem and he needs to stop doing it because its too stressful on us. Am I just over reacting or what?

I'll try a serious answer. (note I said TRY)
    Has he been tested for ADD/ADHD? I totally think this is an overused diagnosis in children (MY OPINION), but I have known a few adults that have been treated for this and have had life altering changes in behavior, to the better. That's one thought.

Also, I would work very hard on being more independent, i.e., be sure you can support the two of you, b/c it's going to get to that point.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like that. He's cool, he's just nto wired for the day-job thing. He's tried going on his own for a while, but the problem is his work ethic. He just doesn't like to work. He's been married for 11 years, has two kids and seems to make things work. His wife hates it. Fortunately, she is stable and is the one that keeps things together.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Dump him. Like, yesterday. He will never grow up, and you can not change him!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No mature adult ready to be part of a healthy relationship would have a job history like this.
    nicely said
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It's not looking good. Find someone with a real job that is not in retail or fast food restaurants. Those are good jobs for kids and folks who have someone else who is pulling the freight.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Give him a reason to stay at a job and he probably will.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Lol. He has actually already worked at Sonic as a GM. Thats the thing... he's 30 years old and has probably had 100 jobs in his life! Its freaking crazy.

holy crud!

That's just too immature for 30.....especially with the number of job firings he's had.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Lol. He has actually already worked at Sonic as a GM. Thats the thing... he's 30 years old and has probably had 100 jobs in his life! Its freaking crazy.

And you are with him ......why??? He will never change...trust me I've seen his type before...they never change and it is always someone elses fault they are no longer employed.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Are you considering leaving him because of this? What are your choices?
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    RUN!! Fast...
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How does he keep getting GM jobs with such a sh!tty track record? Unbelievable
  • Pinkgurl13
    Pinkgurl13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you considering leaving him because of this? What are your choices?

Yeah I have considered it.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    As hard as it is to say, find someone new! If he can't commit to a job, than a future with him seems pretty bleak.
  • Pinkgurl13
    Pinkgurl13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How does he keep getting GM jobs with such a sh!tty track record? Unbelievable

Noo idea! I think he fakes up his Resume to look more reliable.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

i don't get why this topic even warrants advice? common sense..
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    not an over reaction. my soon to be ex husband was a deadbeat. quit or got fired from everything. Find someone who can take care of himself and support a family or encourage him to be that man. Good luck
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this scares me for you. You don't want to give him an ultimatum because those never work. You also don't really want to sit around and see how his next job goes. Explain your concerns rationally, maybe even write them down. Trust me, I can relate in a different sort of way. My husband had a great job for 5 years of us being together. He got laid off about 2 years ago and is on his 4th job in that timeframe because he keeps having to take contract positions just to get a job right now. We own a home and have akid and the uncertainty is terribly frustrating.
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo.......he is able to commit to something until it becomes difficult, less-than-fun, or otherwise not EXACTLY what he wants? RUN DON'T WALK, and make sure you have COMPLETELY reliable birth control until you're gone!!!!!! (Cuz the only thing worse than being married to/supporting a chronic loser indefinitely is raising kids-alone?- that grow up to mimic the patterns they've observed in dear ole dad!)

The fact that you posted shows you KNOW this is a big one......... what does he say when you ASK him about his issues staying in a job?

Hope this turns out well for you, in any case.