For ladies who EAT (a lot) and are actually losing weight

Options

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    So good to see so many women who EAT!
    I'm a fairly sedentary (no gym rat here) over 50-gal who's 5'5" and about 11 pounds from goal weight. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day (MFP gives me only 1280 cals -- that's just starvation mode for me) yet I eat very clean almost every day, just eat a lot of food -- and still losing, too. I know if I upped my exercise, I could lose the last few pounds more easily. Just haven't got around to that yet.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,274 Member
    Options
    I lost not quite 30 pounds eating between 1550-1350 over several years and then stalled out for months and months. I have now almost lost another 10 after reset over the last 9 months. This week I lost 2 pounds. I am 5'6" tall, my calorie goal is 1800 plus some exercise calories as close to a 15% cut as I could estimate. I exercise 6 days a week 1 hour a day typically. However I find that it is my general activity level that really helps me lose so that is what I am focusing on now.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    MFP's tool is "stupid" and doesn't really take into account everything it should.

MFP worked beautifully for me and I have maintained for almost 2 years using it.
  • Domestic_Hippie
    Domestic_Hippie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually stick around 1650 a day on good workout days I will eat closer to 1800. I am 5'4" and 212 right now. On average I lost about 1-2 pounds a week, slow weeks are 1/2 a pound.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm a little under 5'3", and I'm eatting around 2K a day (a little more with exercise calories). I've only been actively exercising and monitoring it for a week (and had some bad days to start), so only time will tell if I need to adjust that.

I've discovered that left to my own appetites and devices, I can happily eat up to 4K a day, so no wonder I got up 290.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    MFP's tool is "stupid" and doesn't really take into account everything it should.

MFP worked beautifully for me and I have maintained for almost 2 years using it.

It's great that it worked for you, but I think for many people it doesn't work at all. It recommends that to lose 1.5 pounds a week I eat 1300 calories a day. I'm 21 years old. My BMR alone has me at 1600 cals.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I just started eating according to my tdee/bmr January 1st. 1500-1700 calories a day. So eating about 300-500 more calories a day. My tdee is 2120. I plan on weighing in q 10 days. I weighed in today, I've lost 1.4. According to my deficit spreadsheet based on calories eaten minus tdee. I should have lost 1.4lbs. So right on track. Frighteningly accurate, might be a fluke! Lets see what happens in 10 more days.:drinker:
  • SNYPorter
    SNYPorter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ioved your post and blogs. Your information, research and humor make it interesting to read. Thanks for sharing. New to this my fittnes pal and really want to know what it takes to make a difference and is something I can live with and do. Right now I am a stay home mom too and I get less calories burned and its easier to over eat. Love to friend you, but now sure how? Thanks, lisa
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

It's great that it worked for you, but I think for many people it doesn't work at all. It recommends that to lose 1.5 pounds a week I eat 1300 calories a day. I'm 21 years old. My BMR alone has me at 1600 cals.

I think you don't understand the tool. at 1600 as your BMR your sedentary burn would be 1600 * 1.2 = 1920. MFP set you at 1300 because 1.5 pounds is equal to a 750 deficit. So 1920- 1150 is actually 1170. MFP was a bit more generous in their calculation--if you've lost some weight that could be the reason. It's probably a failure to understand how the calculator works that is causing you to have such a negative perspective. You're supposed to add your exercise in and eat those calories too.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I just started eating according to my tdee/bmr January 1st. 1500-1700 calories a day. So eating about 300-500 more calories a day. My tdee is 2120. I plan on weighing in q 10 days. I weighed in today, I've lost 1.4. According to my deficit spreadsheet based on calories eaten minus tdee. I should have lost 1.4lbs. So right on track. Frighteningly accurate, might be a fluke! Lets see what happens in 10 more days.:drinker:

What calculator did you use for this?
  • xxvogue
    Options

I think you don't understand the tool. at 1600 as your BMR your sedentary burn would be 1600 * 1.2 = 1920. MFP set you at 1300 because 1.5 pounds is equal to a 750 deficit. So 1920- 1150 is actually 1170. MFP was a bit more generous in their calculation--if you've lost some weight that could be the reason. It's probably a failure to understand how the calculator works that is causing you to have such a negative perspective. You're supposed to add your exercise in and eat those calories too.

Right and my losing weight on 1700-2000 calories a day is clearly a misunderstanding too? I was losing nothing on 1200 calories a day, and 1500 when exercising because it wasn't enough.

1600 cal a day assumes I'm laying in bed all day. When was the last day you laid in bed all day? Also 1300 cal wasn't on sedentary it was on light.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You are all inspirations!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to weese17.. I'm 5'5" and I eat around 3000 cals for maintenance and about 2500-2700 to loose

Curious to know what sort of lifting and how much, allows a person to eat that much to maintain ?
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    2040 on maintenance seems to work for me!!
  • choyt8109
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'8" and in maintenance mode (just working on building muscle and reducing fat), work out 6 days a week (mostly HIIT and heavy weight lifting), and I also breastfeed a toddler. For me, maintenance is about 3300 a day. ;) I achieved rapid weight loss (30 pounds in 8 weeks) at 2600-2700 cals a day.

Yay for people who eat a lot! :)

That's awesome! How did you do that? I need to lose 30 in 8 wks and am not eating enough calories...I'm averaging around 1200/day. I do muay thai kickboxing 3/4x a week so I'm also burning a lot.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    At 5'5½ " and 41 years old I average 1950 a day. I don't have a regular exercise schedule, but I am losing. Welcome to add me if you wish.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How come you get to eat so much? Do you calculate your calories somewhere else or on MFP? I'm 173 cm ( 5'8) and I have 70.7 kg (155 pounds) and I have 1380 calories a day (without exercise). I've set to lose 1 pound a week. Am I doing something wrong?

Elsewhere. You need to find your TDEE.

There's a thread on here called "In Place of a Roadmap" that covers it, or if you don't like numbers (like me) just go here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm. :D

Thank you for the link. I have to say my TDEE calories and MFP calories are very similar. TDEE calories are 1435 and MFP calories are 1380. Not big difference. :)
  • xxvogue
    Options
    How come you get to eat so much? Do you calculate your calories somewhere else or on MFP? I'm 173 cm ( 5'8) and I have 70.7 kg (155 pounds) and I have 1380 calories a day (without exercise). I've set to lose 1 pound a week. Am I doing something wrong?

There's a thread on here called "In Place of a Roadmap" that covers it, or if you don't like numbers (like me) just go here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm. :D

Thank you for the link. I have to say my TDEE calories and MFP calories are very similar. TDEE calories are 1435 and MFP calories are 1380. Not big difference. :)

That sounds pretty low for a TDEE which includes daily activity, but you might be very thin already and not very active. Do you mean your BMR? If so you should be eating between your BMR and TDEE. Though that website says "calories for weightloss" which is helpful. Though, I suppose that number you gave might be the cals for weight loss it gave you?

Ideally you should be eating between your BMR and TDEE.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options

That sounds pretty low for a TDEE which includes daily activity, but you might be very thin already and not very active. Do you mean your BMR? If so you should be eating between your BMR and TDEE. Though that website says "calories for weightloss" which is helpful. Though, I suppose that number you gave might be the cals for weight loss it gave you?

I'm not thin, I wish :p But i don't have very much to lose (8 kilos, 17 pounds). I went to that link in the previous post and I put my numbers in DAILY CALORIC INTAKE CALCULATOR and I got 1435.

I went on another site for calculating how many calories should I eat (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php?page=1&metric=1&gender=female&age=30&activity_level=1&feet=&inches=&cm=&start_weight=70.7&weight=63&x=46&y=16) and it gave me less calories taht on my MFP account. But I'm not going lower.
  • xxvogue
    Options

I'm not thin, I wish :p But i don't have very much to lose (8 kilos, 17 pounds). I went to that link in the previous post and I put my numbers in DAILY CALORIC INTAKE CALCULATOR and I got 1435.

I went on another site for calculating how many calories should I eat (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php?page=1&metric=1&gender=female&age=30&activity_level=1&feet=&inches=&cm=&start_weight=70.7&weight=63&x=46&y=16) and it gave me less calories taht on my MFP account. But I'm not going lower.

Okay, yes, I just looked. If you're not active, and don't exercise 1438 would be the weight loss number for you! :) Especially with so little to lose I wouldn't go lower than that. If you work out then you can eat more!